Author Topic: Finnies, Inverkeithney, Belhelvie  (Read 7788 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finnies, Inverkeithney, Belhelvie
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 December 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiv
I only have 7 or 8 children for Francis Finnie & Jane Hay namely William b 1837, James b 1840, John b 1844, Anne b 1846, Mary &/or Margaret b 1856, Peter b 1858 & Robert b 1861. You say they had 10 children. Can you tell who the others were and when they were born etc?
For your information my great grandfather's brother (Peter Rae) married Anne in 1875.
Regards
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 December 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I am aware of an Anne Lawson Finnie who was baptised in Inverkeithney on 2 May 1846. She married my g grandfather's brother Peter Rae on 17 Jul 1875 in Inverkeithney. Her parents were Francis Finnie and Jean Hay. Anne died on 18 Oct 1933 in Alvah and is buried in the local graveyard.
Anne had a brother John who was baptised in Inverkeithney in Mar 1844. Is this the same John Finnie who married Barbara Shearer?

Thanks - yes, I think this would be the same John Finnie, as he married Barbara in 1864 at age 20.

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 December 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiv
I only have 7 or 8 children for Francis Finnie & Jane Hay namely William b 1837, James b 1840, John b 1844, Anne b 1846, Mary &/or Margaret b 1856, Peter b 1858 & Robert b 1861. You say they had 10 children. Can you tell who the others were and when they were born etc?
For your information my great grandfather's brother (Peter Rae) married Anne in 1875.
Regards
colincam

My information comes from censuses so dates are approximate - lakeview has 12 children and I notice that William doesn't appear in the 1851 census; he'd be working by then so I didn't pick him up. I don't have Robert either, so I'll have to tidy up my tree!

Children of FRANCIS FINNIE and JANE HAY are:
i.   JAMES FINNIE, b. 24 Mar 1840, Inverkeithnie; d. 10 Jan 1927, Gullymill Street, Macduff.
ii.   FRANCIS FINNIE, b. Abt. 1842, Inverkeithnie.
iii.   JOHN FINNIE, b. 3 Mar 1844, Inverkeithnie; m. BARBARA SHEARER, 6 Aug 1864, Church of Forgue; b. 2 Oct 1836, Drumblade.
iv.   ANN FINNIE, b. Abt. 1847, Inverkeithnie.
v.   ALEXANDER FINNIE, b. Abt. 1849, Inverkeithnie.
vi.   PETER FINNIE, b. Abt. 1851, Inverkeithnie.
vii.   JANE FINNIE, b. Abt. 1853, Inverkeithney.
viii.   GEORGE FINNIE, b. Abt. 1854, Inverkeithney.
ix.   MARGARET FINNIE, b. Abt. 1857, Inverkeithney; d. 10 Jan 1935, 11 Paterson Street, Macduff; m. PETER RIDDELL.
x.   PETER FINNIE, b. Abt. 1859, Inverkeithney.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 December 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiv
Thanks for the information below. I now have 13 children to Francis & Jean Finnie. This is because Family Search gives a Margaret Finnie and a Mary Finnie with the same date of birth namely 4 Jun 1856. Do you know if they were the same person or twins?
For your information Robert Finnie was born on 9 Jul 1861 after the 1861 Census which might explain why you don't have him.
Your list of the children refers to someone being born in Drumblade on 2 Oct 1836. Is this just a typographic error?
Kindest regards
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 December 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi colincam

I have 13 too - Margaret and Mary were twins, and Mary Finnie "died suddenly No medical attendant" on 30 June 1856. I have two Peters, the first, for whom I can find no baptism, is on the 1851 census (2nd page) at ?months of age, and he may have died as Mary did? Another Peter appears on the 1861 census, aged  2 years. I can't find a baptism for Francis but his birth year is confirmed by his death in Sept 1924, aged 82, and first marriage at 1862, aged 20. Fun, isn't it!
 :)

PS - just noted your request - the birth in Drumblade is of Brenda Shearer who married John Finnie in 1864. The layout comes from a genealogy report in my tree.

Tiv

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 December 12 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiv again
Thanks for clearing my queries up.
I note from your PS that the Barbara Shearer you have is 7 years older than her husband, John Finnie. Are you sure this is correct? Do you have a copy of their marriage record?
colincam

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 December 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Marriage record gives the names of the parents of both parties. The ages are given as 20 for John Finnie and 25 for Barbara Shearer. Note, however, that Barbara was illiterate - her "mark" was witnessed rather than her signature, and it likely that she did not have a clear idea of her date of birth (or she preferred as many of us do, not to admit our ages). Unless 2 Barbaras were born to William Shearer and Jane Adam, however, the date is correct. See Scotlandspeople (ppv) for both marriage and baptism records.

Tiv

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Excellent
Btw I have found William Finnie aged 14 living as a servant to a farmer in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire in 1851 Census.
colincam

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I have Barbara's birthdate as 13Sept1836.  Don't be too hasty in thinking wives are always younger than their husbands.  In our family tree there are many instances.  In my immediate family of the 4 girls, 3 of us are married to younger men!!  They last longer that way.    ;D

Happy Hogmanay to you all. 
Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes