Author Topic: Milltown Malbay Records  (Read 4790 times)

Offline hjp9999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Milltown Malbay Records
« on: Wednesday 20 June 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Has anyone done any Milltown Malbay research in the past?
I am going there in July to hopefully find records of my 4th great grandfather who travelled to Australia in 1852.
County Clare is definitely where he came from and his wife's family (Hayes) seem to have come from Milltown Malbay and there is a strong Doolan connection with Milltown Malbay in subsequent censuses etc.
I have emailed the parish priest to see if they have records that are available.
I suspect he was born circa 1798 but not sure.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/4544750/person/6017077821 is his link in my ancestry tree.

Just trying to turn over as many rocks as possible before the trip!

Thanks guys!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Milltown Malbay Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Unfortunatly very few parishes have records before 1800, and baptisms for Milltown Malbay only go back to 1831, marriages to 1856. You can view these in the National Library in Dublin. (Assuming it's RC records you are interested in..)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hjp9999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Shane - many thanks for that! Any other routes you would go down if you were I? I've done a lot of online research but any other hints would be fantastic

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure what sources you tried, but as you've probably already discovered there's not that much going back that far. The major source for the early 1800s is the Tithe records - a kind of tax payable by many in rural areas to the established church. It was carried out in the 1820s to early 1840s, depending on the area. Your family may have left before Griffith's - another later taxation survey c1846 to 1864.

Check the Clare Resources & Link topic at the top of the board. The Clare library website is mentioned in this, and they include many records for the county including transcripts of Tithes..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hjp9999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
thanks again shane

Offline palea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
I was browsing the net and i came across this hope it is of some help to you.http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/e/n/Michael-G-Mennen/FILE/0009page.html. There is also a Thomas Hayes born in 1866. He became a school teacher and was also famous poet. Information about him can be got at, eolas@oac.ie. Good luck with your search.

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 02:27 BST (UK) »
GDAY:)
Have HAREN from Milltown malbay/inagh co Clare and have a Thomas Haren born circa 1830s who was a school teacher in clare
Regards
Cathy:)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton