Author Topic: KING  (Read 7149 times)

Offline wking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KING
« on: Thursday 21 June 12 06:16 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was a James King, born cir 1884 in co kilkenny Ireland.His father was a William Houston King of which i have no info, but would presume to have come from the same place. if anyone could supply some info would be most grateful. ???

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: KING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 12 08:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have a marriage cert for James .. did he stay and marry in Ireland, or move somewhere else ?

You can search for possible births on the BMD index, and order certs from the GRO to check the details of his father, but it would probably help narrow the search for his birth if a few more details could be found on him on first - e.g. marriage and/or census records...

There are just over 50 births for the name James King listed on the Irish BMD Index around the right time, but none that seem to be in any of the districts that cover Co. Kilkenny - see :

James King, births 1882-1886

There seems to be one mention on the BMD Index of a 'William Huston King', but it relates to the death of a young child in New Ross District (covers parts of counties Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny).

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
Did your King family end up in Queensland, Australia ?

There's a notice on Trove from the Yea Chronicle dated 28 January 1892, for the death of a Robert John King, youngest son of late William Houston King, of Mount Alto, County of Kilkenny....

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering might this be the father of William Houston King (death)

William Huston King
1870 (age 69)
District: New Ross (covers parts of Kilkenny)
Volume: 4
Page: 650

What appears to be someone else researching the family

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/KILKENNY/1998-11/0910498428
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/1999-01/0917828944

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
just spotted that I mixed up some records, and got the age completely wrong for that death...

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I could be WAY off here and am probably presuming a lot but it sounds like there was a William Houston King Sr father of William Houston King Junior and the Robert King that you found.

'wking' is then interested in the James King son of William Houston King Junior.

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
might be best to wait for some more details - I've seen a few different William Houston Kings mentioned, including ones in NZ and Scotland ... more popular name than I thought.

There's Trove newspaper record for a Brisbane newspaper which mentions a King/Graham marriage in 1888. Father W.H.K. is mentioned as being from Hoodsgrove ...which is a townland in Co. Kilkenny, but New Ross district.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline wking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi evryone
thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
My name is William Houston King and was born in NZ *. My father was John Houston King, and an only son. His father was James King who married Lucy Tricklebank. This is the one who evidentially moved to Australia with Isabelle Stokes and has another family of Kings over there. I have met Lorraine West who is the other person researching the family and if everything is true, then we are very much related. My problem is locating Lucy King, re Tricklebank, as I cannot find any reference to her death except for two notices of Lucy King, one in 1938 which would make her 54Y, one in 1905 which would make her 33Y. While there is other Lucy Kings these two are the only ones with only one Christian name. I do have a marriage cert for James and Lucy; they were married in Palmerston North on 30 Jan 1882. Their parents also attended, William Houston King and Elizabeth King, nee Ronaldson. And Lucy’s’ parents, Charles Tricklebank and Eliza Tricklebank, nee Whitehouse. I do not have any more information than that.
Any information that you may have and that you think may help would be appreciated. As you can tell I am very new to this whole thing and hope that I have not left it too late.
Yours sincerely
WHKing (Bill)

Offline fordalyng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 17 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi evryone
thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
My name is William Houston King and was born in NZ *. My father was John Houston King, and an only son. His father was James King who married Lucy Tricklebank. This is the one who evidentially moved to Australia with Isabelle Stokes and has another family of Kings over there. I have met Lorraine West who is the other person researching the family and if everything is true, then we are very much related. My problem is locating Lucy King, re Tricklebank, as I cannot find any reference to her death except for two notices of Lucy King, one in 1938 which would make her 54Y, one in 1905 which would make her 33Y. While there is other Lucy Kings these two are the only ones with only one Christian name. I do have a marriage cert for James and Lucy; they were married in Palmerston North on 30 Jan 1882. Their parents also attended, William Houston King and Elizabeth King, nee Ronaldson. And Lucy’s’ parents, Charles Tricklebank and Eliza Tricklebank, nee Whitehouse. I do not have any more information than that.
Any information that you may have and that you think may help would be appreciated. As you can tell I am very new to this whole thing and hope that I have not left it too late.
Yours sincerely
WHKing (Bill)