Author Topic: Arden House, Loch Lomond  (Read 22948 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: Arden House, Loch Lomond
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 September 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Welcome to Rootschat.

I have a couple of photos which, I believe, feature Lady Lumsden.  They were probably taken during the early 1960s in the garden at Arden. 

If you post twice more on this topic (or any other), you will be able to send me a personal message (PM) by clicking on my name.  You could then provide me with your email address so I can send you the photos (you are not allowed to put your email address on here).

Terri
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Bob1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 September 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Terri

Offline Bob1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 September 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
I should correct my entry by saying that Henrietta Jessie Macfarlane Reid (Lady Lumsden)  was really a great aunt, daughter of George Macfarlane Reid, younger brother to my wife's great grand mother Margery Dill Reid, and sister to Sir George Ranald Macfarlane Reid. I have made entries on another site, ancestry.com.au under a family tree called "Canterbury Tales" which can be picked up by a normal name search on that site, including Lumsden entries for several generations. Sir James Robert Lumsden seems to have spent a lot of his time, judging by newspaper entries, grouse shooting and running an agricultural show. According to one newspaper report he and his 2 sons went grouse shooting and the 2 sons were named in the report as J A Lumsden and G A Lumsden. I have assumed that the J A is the James who has an extensive biography available. The G A presently is a mystery, but if I keep digging around.... There I have made the necessary 2 entries!

Offline TimeTraveller54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 December 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I realise it’s a while since anyone posted on this thread but my maternal grandparents worked in Arden House. My Grandmother, Helen Margaret Hotchkies went as housekeeper, after loosing their home in the Dalmuir blitz and my grandfather, John Hotchkies, joined her after the war, I believe, as a gardener until his death in 1959. My mother,  Helen Mary Hotchkies lived at Arden house and was married from there in 1961.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to Rootschat.

It looks as though your grandfather and mine (Peter McKean) must have worked together as gardeners.

Is your mother still alive?

Terri

Offline TimeTraveller54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 09:51 GMT (UK) »
No. Sadly she died in 2012. It was after this, whilst going through her photos, that I started researching the family history. The sad thing is Mum could have told me 95% of the information that has taken me five years to put together.

I was born in Hertfordshire but spent a fair bit of time at Arden House in my first 2 years. I was christened in Luss church where my parents were married. My granny then came south to live with us (about 1968). I suspect she was no longer well enough to work. She died in 1970. I can remember visiting Arden House and Lady Lumsden twice over the years and Mum wrote to her and sent flowers every Christmas.

I have a lot of photos and old newspaper cuttings so will have a good look through for any further information.

Offline TimeTraveller54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Having just had a quick look through Mum’s wedding gift list (she kept everything) there is an entry for Mrs McKean, Arden, sheets and pillow cases. There is another for Jim and Ada McKean in Kirkintilloch? This would have been in 1961.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Confusingly there were 2 McKean families at Arden.  I believe that Mrs McKean (not my relation) was a cook (see Archibald McKean’s post).  My grandad was a widower, so it was just Peter McKean and his daughters Joyce & Georgina (my mother) who lived in the gardeners’ cottage, although he did remarry (in Balloch in 1962).  He and his new wife Betty emigrated to Florida soon after.  I don’t know if Betty ever lived on the Arden estate.

Offline TimeTraveller54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Your mother and her sister must have been there at the same time as my mother and presumably attended the village school. Mum was born in 1934. Do you mind saying when your mother and Joyce were born. I understand if you’d rather not but it would give me some idea of what age group I’m looking for in pictures. I can’t recall a Joyce or Georgina being mentioned but they must have known each other.