Author Topic: James Ferguson, Glasgow and Montreal  (Read 3353 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ferguson, Glasgow and Montreal
« on: Friday 22 June 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
William Ferguson and Amelia Skewis married in Glasgow in 1889.  Their first child, James Ferguson, was born on 23 September 1890. James emigrated to Canada in 1912 and was living at 532 Moreau Street, Montreal, when he joined the CEF in 1915.  By then he had married an Agnes Paterson.  James enlisted as a Private and was sent to fight in France with the Black Watch, 42nd Battalion, Royal Highlanders of Canada. He rose to the rank of W.O. Class II, was wounded twice, and awarded the Military Medal. During the war Agnes went to Glasgow where she gave birth to their first child.  They were back in Montreal after the war but all I know about that is taken from some Montreal street directories found online. It appears that in 1934 he was a janitor at McGill University, 4630 Messier. He was still at the University in 1940 but at 4415 Chapleau.  The last mention I can find is again as an employee of McGill but this time at Apt 9, 3481 Shuter. He was still an Army reservist in 1941. James was my great uncle and I would dearly love to make contact with his Canadian family to discuss our ancestry, exchange photos and the like. All I know is that in recent years a grand-daughter had his name included in the Great War Society’s Roll of Honor.  I don’t think I’m allowed to mention her name here.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ferguson, Glasgow and Montreal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
have you tried the Drouin Collection through ancestry to see if that can be of assistance.

The library in Montreal may have access to city directories and be able to determine when he stops showing on the directories. That could give you a year to search for an obituary.

Do you know the name of the first child and whether it was male or female.

Do you have his complete military file as it could contain information such as his death. Depending on his injuries, there could be followup records in the file. The files are availalbe through Library and Archives Canada and will contain his Next of Kin, pay allotments, transfer within battalions, injuries, etc. They can have as little as 25 pages and sometimes into the hundreds. If you choose to purchase the file, you do have to buy the entire file as partial files are not available.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
under Soldiers of the First World War
James Ferguson
Regimental # 418443
You need the information from the Attestation Papers to order the military file.

Have you looked for museums or socieites about the Black Watch or 42nd Battalion. They may have some info that you could use. The Black Watch took part in most of the famous battles of WW1 and there is a lot of interesting info about them on line.
I did check the Canadian Great War Project and his medal is listed but not a date of death.

I checked the Legion Last Post but the years don't go back far enough. 

Also, he was a reservist so you could look at that angle to try to find some info.

The grand-daughter is L. Clarkson. For possible living relatives just use the first initial. I picked up on the fact that she never knew her grandfather so he must have died in the 40's or 50's. I am just assuming that she is probably in her 60's. My grandfather was born in 1890 and served in WW1, his children born in the early 20's and his grandchildren born between 1945-1960.

You obviously have some information so can you post where you found it so that we don't duplicate your efforts.
Good luck, Val

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Agnes Ferguson w/o James Ferguson, 441 Chapleau St. Montreal died at the Homeopathic Hospital June 23, 1940 and buried Montreal memorial Park Cemetery.  Witnesses James Ferguson and Robert Ferguson.  Presbyterian Fairmont Taylor church record from the Drouin collection.

Montreal memorial Park Cemetery is now known as
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/QBC-MONTREAL/2007-02/1171469632

Didn't find any records for James.

Debbie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 00:05 BST (UK) »
http://presbyterianarchives.ca
Fairmont Presbyterian 1910-1925
Fairmont-Taylor Presbyterian 1925-1969

are kept at the archives. You should be able to use the contact section to see if they can tell you what may be available and if there is a fee.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for some very valuable information and leads to follow up.  Very much appreciated indeed. My sources of information to date have been my late grandmother (his sister), his complete military file, on line Montreal street directories and the entry by L Clarkson in the Roll of Honor.  I emailed the latter for contact details but there was no response. My late mother had a vague recollection that someone from the Canadian family called in to see my grandmother in Glasgow during WW2. He is said to have been wearing an 'Air Force' uniform.  RCAF serving in Europe perhaps? If so he would almost certainly have arrived in the UK by ship at Greenock, just a short distance from Glasgow.  Perhaps the Robert Ferguson mentioned by cosmac? I should have mentioned that I stay in Inverness, Scotland. Thanks again - I'll get busy following up on all of this.

Denis
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Fergiepin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
James Ferguson listed in this posting was my grandfather, and L Clarkson is my cousin. I would be happy to complete any missing information.

Best regards

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fergiepin

Good to hear from you. I should explain that eventually I  managed to find part of the family based in the Ottawa area I think. We exchanged a lot of information and I was able to provide them with details of the family going back to about 1808 in Scotland. However, later I got a new computer and in the process lost their contact details and any details of the more recent family in Canada. All I have are the birth of James, his marriage to Agnes Pattison and the birth of their daughter Agnes Amelia. You may have noticed in my earlier comments that someone from Canada (in the RCAF we think) called in at Glasgow during WW2 to see his aunt Helen. Would that be a Robert? I'd welcome anything you can give me on James's descendants in Canada so I can put a little tree together. It would be easier to communicate using personal messages on this site. You need to have made three posts to be able to use the personal message system. If you reply to this and then make another post after that you will have three posts and then we can take it from there.

Denis

Offline Fergiepin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I believe you already exchanged information with my sister in law Elaine. As for Robert (my father), he was in the Royal Canadian Artillery, he may have visited Scotland during the war, I do have a picture of a cousin of his when he visited Scotland who's name was Millie .

Thanks Mike Ferguson

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike. My mother, Amelia ("Millie") was his cousin and so I guess there's a good chance it was her he met. You have a photo? It would be good to see that, if possible. If you reply to this you will have sent three messages and then I can contact you using private messaging following which we could take this a little further? Thanks again.

Denis