Author Topic: False Information On Ancestry  (Read 34721 times)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: False Information On Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 December 09 14:11 GMT (UK) »
This is going to appear an awful thing to say, but I noted on all the comments that it does seem to be our cousins across the big pond who are so keen to attach themselves to our small island that they clutch at any name which could be theirs add them to their tree & when someone tries to correct them they do not like it. 
Surely we all would like to have any errors in our trees pointed out to us, we can then re-check our research.  This will then re-affirm our records as correct or a genuine error has been corrected, great.
I know that I want my albeit very small tree to be as accurate as I can possibly make it.  I only have around 250-300 people shown ( about 50 others not shown at all as I cannot confirm who they are but live in hope ) but am more than happy that through my in depth & costly research they are in the main correct.  But mistakes do happen & would not be so smug as to assume that I am positively perfect in every way (ala Mary Poppins!!). :D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 December 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I have decided to remove my trees from Ancestry for various reasons, mostly security. I make ample use of the 'shoebox' facility though, and they stay there until I have absolute proof that they are connected to me. I dont want to be wasting my own time, let alone someone else's. Thankfully the two living rellies who also have info on there, have correct info on there. ;)
Roofy
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 December 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think that part of the problem is when you accept a hint from another tree, as Ancestry then "helpfully" fills in the blanks, most of which are not correct and that is why you did not add them in the first place!!!

C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 December 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
You can change the parts that you do not agree with.  Just click on "Show Options", then correct what is there, and when you are satisfied, click on "Add to your tree".
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 December 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that, when it first happened I thought I was going mad, "How the bl***y hell can someone die 20 years before he got married?!!!???"
lol, now I know that I am only slightly mad  ::)
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline kater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 December 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I regularly read that one particular person has taken information from my tree.

She is a very distant relation, only met through research & by email - I posted her copies of certificates some years ago & received no acknowledgement at all.
We'd been corresponding by email & I emailed her to ask if she'd got them but she never answered.

I feel really irritated that she's still using my information & I know I should stop her - just not sure how you do it.

I'm another person constantly sending corrections to Ancestry; found a Louise transcribed as Lemon the other day!

On the other hand, I've met 2 lots of distant cousins & we've helped each other with correct information.
Liverpool : Burns, Carthy, Clay, Duckworth, Downey, Hanlon, Hannon, McDonough, McKeown, Redmond.
Wirral:  Carthy, Clay, Downey, Duckworth, Liversage, McKeown, Redmond.
Notts. : Featherstone, Goodall.
Derbys. : Featherstone, Hutchinson
Ireland:  Burns (Enniscorthy), Carthy (Wexford), Downey (Limerick), McDonough (Castlebar), Prendergast (Rathdrum), Redmond.
Wales:  Bellis (Hawarden),  Evans (Welshpool)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 December 09 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I've met a lot of good researchers though Ancestry too.

I call them Family tree cousins, and I have just had lovely chatty emails from two for Christmas. They are a long way away but we are still friends.

I did have one FTC who I became very good friends with and we realized the person that connected us was not who we thought and it was sad when we realized we were not related at all, but as we are both "true" researchers we corrected our trees.

The Ancestry "hints" annoy me. I open my tree and find more leaves and waste time opening them all only to find they can't possibly be true hints for my tree. I got one this morning for a tree match not only was the name different, the hint was in the US and my person never left the UK.

I do hate the name hunters though, and a few of my reletives have been pinched. Which is a real pain, but it is there loss not mine. I know they belong to me.

There is one person who has 12,000+ names and another who has 27,000+ I don't know how they can keep track of them all :o
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 December 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I recently found someone on Ancestry had attached my grandfather to their tree with a different wife. I sent a message explaining why they were wrong, giving evidence etc. Within an hour I had a message back apologising and thanking me for stopping them making a huge mistake. There are still true researchers out there.  :) :)

Jan

Offline macbeth

• RootsChat Member
  • Wee Miss Brodie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 December 09 00:41 GMT (UK) »
I have made contact with someone who's tree and mine might be connected, but I'm not convinced of the rigour in  which they are doing it, give my last notfication about new content being added ....

EDIT: maybe I'm being unkind and they are placeholders or something like that