Author Topic: Pembroke House - Penygroes  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pembroke House - Penygroes
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Pauline

The Pembroke House is an address for Asneth after William was killed.

I have rooted about in my unprocessed notes and see that the Herald report of his death descirbes her as being at 2  Sea View Llandwrog. It says that he met his end whilst  his battalion were asleep at 3am**. They held a Memorial Service for him at Llandwrog Church on the 4th October and it finishes off with a poem by W Llyfni Huws.
An 'In Memoriam' section entry in September 1918 says (paraphrased)
'In Loving Memory of my beloved husband Pte William W Owen, Welsh Guards, 2 Sea View, Llandwrog who fell in battle in France on 20th September 1917. Asneth Owen'

whilst the one in 1920 says

'In Memoriam. Pte William William Owen, dear husband of Asneth Owen, Pembroke House, Penygroes (Formerly of Sea View, Llandwrog) who fell on the battlefield 20th September 1917. '

** given the info provided by the History of the Welsh Guards i.e that the battalion was engaged in running supplies to the front then this suggests random shelling of the rear support lines. CWGC shows that the unit lost 3 that date and SDGW shows they were all Killed in Action. Possibly the actual War Diary may throw a light on what happened. I'll see about what it says.

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwil,
thank you very much indeed.
I appreciate what you have found out about my grandfathers cousin and his wife.
Kind regards
Pauline
Litherland Lass

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
just two mentions I can find.

North Wales Chronicle Saturday, July 19, 1884;
marriage on the 14th inst at the parish church Llandwrog, by the Rev Banks Price rector , William Henry Rowland master of Llandwrog national school to Elizabeth second daughter of William Pritchard , Sea View Llandwrog.

This one is in Welsh but the jist of it is .   
Y Genedl Cymreig Wednesday, December 11, 1889
Marriage 6 December at Chapel Bwlan , Llandwrog by Parch W A Jones M.A. Fourcrosses ,***
gan y Parch Henry Hughes Brynkir*** Mr D Thomas ***
Mr Owens Owens ,Pwll Pontbren , Fourcrosses and Miss Jane Pritchard , Sea View Llandwrog , daughter of  the late Mr William Pritchard ,Llandwrog,

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for sending that information it is much appreciated.

Offline Robert Schacht

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 February 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather , William Jones Williams , as of his 1903 marriage to Ellen Jones was listed as being from Pembroke House, Penygroes. Grandmother lived on County Road, Penygroes.

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:09 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather , William Jones Williams , as of his 1903 marriage to Ellen Jones was listed as being from Pembroke House, Penygroes. Grandmother lived on County Road, Penygroes.
Hi Robert,
Thanks for your message. I haven't looked at my notes for sometime. I'll back track to what I have obtain re my grandfather's mother and her parents and let you know what information I have got which might help you. You never know we might be related or not.
Kind regards
Litherland Lass.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 June 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
Probably too late to be helpful.....Auctioned in 1903 ' Pembroke House, 15 High Street, Penygroes. House, shop and premises. extensive accommodation at the rear occupied by Mr. Morris Griffith.

Offline litherland lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
thanks Colchester. Yes its been sometime since I did any further research on my grandfather's past.
But thank you for sending me the information.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 June 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Haven't looked thoroughly on previous replies so might be repeating things:
In 1911 Census there are 2 entries for Pembroke House, 15 High St., (a) and (b), Penygroes, parish of Llanllyfni.:
In (a) Thomas Williams, 38, Stone mason, born pa. Llandwrog, and Sarah, his wife, 38 , born pa. Llanllyfni. Been married 16 yrs, had 4 children , 1 died. Children still alive, Sarah Ellen, 12; Robert, 10 ; Hugh 7, all at school, all born pa. Llandwrog.

In (b)  Mary Williams, Widow,  70, born pa. Llanllyfni. She's filled in the info re years married etc. :  Married 50yrs, 14 children, 10 still alive, 4 died. Living with her, a son, Michael, 36, Single, Slate Quarryman. Daughter Anne, 27, Single . Both born pa. Llanllyfni.

Emyr