Author Topic: Kustendjie  (Read 1959 times)

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kustendjie
« on: Saturday 23 June 12 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have a John Robbie (b 1846 Dundee) and a Mary Ann (? MN Jackson) with two children born in Kustendjie, then christened in Bucharest in 1871/1874.  They and subsequent (English) children eventually settled in Derby.   The transcript on the 1881 census wrongly gives the place of birth as Fustendjie, a few searches later ....

Does anyone know why they would be there in the early 1870s - war ???

The children were Charles and Annie and have always given their place of birth as Turkey, but Kustendjie is a port (Constanta) in Romania now.  Does anyone know how the boundaries changed.  My history is abysmal  :-\

I can't trace any emigration/immigration of the family, but I think that would be asking too much  ::)

mareanna
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline sunfish61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kustendjie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
I see a 42 yr old (born abt 1844) John Robbie, who was originally from Dundee, Scotland aboard the ship UMBRIA. His destination was Chicago, Illinois.  He landed at New York, New York, United States, April 5th, 1886

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
For the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_War_of_Independence

He could have worked for the Danube and Black Sea Railway Kustendje Harbour Company.
http://www.maidenheadphilatelic.co.uk/index_files/levant.htm

It was a British company that operated from 1860 to 1882 (when it was taken over by the Romanian government). It would fit with his occupation, in 1881, as "Engine Smith".

familysearch.org shows:
Charles (b. 25 Mar 1871 chrs. 21 May 1871)
Julia (chrs. 04 Aug 1872)
Annie (chrs. 09 Nov 1873)

I'm not sure the children were actually christened in Bucharest, the source numbers track down to baptism records from the British consulate, and they've been tagged with Bucharest as a location, but there appear to be records from multiple sources on one film. It wouldn't be the first time the location on the familysearch index was not quite right.

The consular birth indexes show, in 1871-1875 births, all three children as registered at Kustendjie
Charles Robbie, vol 5 page 1889
Giulie? Robbie, vol 5 page 1890
Annie Robbie, vol 5 page 1891

and in 1871-1875 deaths
Giulie Robbie, Kustendjie, vol 5 page 1901.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose

The death of Guilie/Julie figures - there is another daughter of that name born in  1888 in Derby. 

Thanks for the  links, the war looks to be a bit later than the family, and given their later links to railways (one is working as a carriage trimmer) in Derby, the link to the harbour company and transport seems to explain their travels. 

I guess either his work was done or the family didn't settle in Romania and they came back, for whatever reason.

Glimpses into the past, love 'em  8)

Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline Bert Dugdale

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
I am indirectly related to the John Robbie on your tree.

John's daughter Annie Robbie (1873-1959) married my great grandfather, Robert Edwin Davis.  They had 2 children, Nellie and Florence.  I also had her place of birth as Fustendjie, but I am happy to be corrected).

One day in about 1900, RE Davis walked his children to school, kissed them goodbye, and left them and Annie.  He sailed (we don't know the details) to Egypt.  Within a few months, he was married polygamously to Annetta Makrodimitris (there are many variations of the spelling of her surname).

They had three children: Harold Cromer Davis (1903-1984), Edna May Elizabeth Davis (1907-?) and Arthur Reginald Davis (1909-1936). Arthur married Marie Goldenberg, and they also had three children.  Fred (1931-2015), Jack (1934-1937) and Regina. Regina is my mother.  I would be happy to discuss this further and share information.

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
Annie’s brother, William, married Elizabeth Hannah North.  Their eldest son, John William Alexander Robbie, married Blanche Winterson, daughter of Joseph Winterson and Mary Ann Antill.  From there the link to my husband’s Antill family in Leicestershire.

There is more on his website www.antill.org.  You will need to enter a username and password to search for names, but there are instructions on the homepage.  There is also an e-mail address you can use to contact him if you have any queries or if you would like to add information to put on the site.  There should not be any people who are living shown on the site, unless the details are openly available elsewhere

Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline Kari Ann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi   I have also been trying to find out why Charles Robbie was born in Turkey.....his wife Ada Raithbh is my husband great aunt....it kind of looks like his father did just go to work there connected with the engine work....many thanks for info

Karen Raithby