Author Topic: Registers of St. Bede's Roman Catholic, Clayton Green near Brindle (Fox family)  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am looking for any information regarding the Thomas and Ellen Fox family contained in the St. Bede's registers.  The microfilm is unavailable for ordering via the LDS.  If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it (I live in the USA).  Per the 1841 census (Brindle) Thomas and Ellen had the following children:

Ann born approximately 1818
Thomas born approximately 1819
Robert born approximately 1823
Mary born approximately 1824
Elizabeth born approximately 1830.

Any information (if available) would be of interest, including the godparents at baptisms, marriages, burials, etc.  Thank you and let me know if additional information is needed.

Phil Tomlinson
Illinois, USA
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lancashire Record Office have the registers listed on their catalogue but christenings start in 1822.

According to the church website the church was built in 1824. Apparently the older church was St Mary Brownedge Bamber Bridge whose regsiters start in 1764. These are also at Lancashire Record Office.

You would have to see whether Lancashire Record Office would do the look ups for you and what it would cost.

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you.  I now see in the lookup offers that there are transcribed registers of St. Bede's.
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Registers of St. Bede's Roman Catholic, Clayton Green near Brindle (Fox family)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I am resurrecting this request but now I wonder if perhaps the baptisms occurred at St. Chad RC near Whittle le Woods. Does anyone have access to the St. Chad registers to look up the Fox baptisms listed below?

John Fox born December 1816
Ann Fox born December 1818
Thomas Fox born June 1819
Robert born approximately 1823
Mary born approximately 1824
Elizabeth born approximately 1830.

Thank you,
Phil

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Registers of St. Bede's Roman Catholic, Clayton Green near Brindle (Fox family)
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
Phil
Have you any indication on other censuses where the children were born?I have looked St Bede's  Euxton St Marys Chorley St Gregory's Brinscall St Joseph's ,Samlesbury and Walton le Dale and the only one I found was the William. Could they have had the children baptised Cof E not a lot of Catholic churches open around that area for the dates you want.  What was Thomas's occupation?Could they have been boatpeople? The canal is in that area?Could Thomas have been married before?Where did Thomas and Ellen marry?Sorry for so many questions

Dorothy
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
Dotty,
My apologies for not replying sooner.  I was out of town for a few days at the end of last week and I am still catching up. 
1841 is the only census in which the family appears.  By the end of that year they had emigrated to the U.S. and were living in southwestern Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri.  Thomas Fox was probably born around 1785 in the Garstang/Wyresdale area.  He was a shoemaker by trade (listed on some documents as a cordwainer).  In 1811 he married Ellen Houghton at St. Helen, Garstang.  They had one daughter, Amy.  Ellen died in 1814.  Thomas Fox and Ellen Bamber were married at St. Mary & St. James, Scorton in a Catholic ceremony February 10, 1816.  Two days later they were married in the Anglican church at St. Helen, Garstang.  At least seven children were born:  John, Ann, Thomas, Robert, Mary, William, and Elizabeth.  (I just recently found out about John.  A family researcher has the Fox family bible and John is recorded born December 29, 1816.)  If any of the children were baptized C of E, it is in a parish that has not been indexed.  I do know that the family were still Catholic when they came to the U.S., as I have found many entries in the Catholic registers of Illinois and Missouri.  I have thoroughly searched the Catholic registers published by the Catholic Record Society, but can find no entries relating to this family, other than Amy's baptism at Ss. Mary & Michael in Garstang.
The reason for my interest in this family is that I am 99% certain that Ellen (Bamber) Fox was the younger sister of my 3XGreat-Grandmother Elizabeth (Bamber) Tomlinson.  This Bamber family originated in Hawthornthwaite, Over Wyresdale, then resided in Great Eccleston (where Elizabeth was married to Thomas Tomlinson in 1808), before coming to the U.S. in 1829.  I know for a fact that Elizabeth had a younger sister named Ellen.  When the widowed Elizabeth and her children came to the U.S. they settled in southwestern Illinois and in St. Louis, Missouri -- the same region the Fox family settled in 1841.  They lived in the same township and attended the same Catholic church.  I can think of no other reason the Fox family would have came to this region other than to be near close family relations.
If you need additional information feel free to ask.  I really appreciate all of the effort you have put into this on my behalf.
Best regards,
Phil Tomlinson

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Phil I will look at it again at the LRO but it will be a couple of weeks now before I go.

Dorothy
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk