Author Topic: Mohill - Rynn - Dromod - Conboy - Keeffe - Tighe - Mc Kenna - Quigley  (Read 10443 times)

Offline 56jole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kilvarnet 2011
    • View Profile
My great grandfather was Patrick Conboy born June 23 1865 in Dromod, registered at Rynn, Mohill, County Leitrim. He married Mary Josephine Armstrong (born about April 15th 1868 Tubbercurry, Sligo County) in 1892 in America. Patrick had several brothers who also emigrated to America and a sister who married a Tighe and remained in Ireland. Their parents were: Patrick Conboy and Catherine Keeffe, called Kitty. I was told my great grandfather also had a grandmother McKenna and a great grandmother Catherine Quigley. I have info about the descendants of the Conboys in America, but none other than this for the Conboy ancestors. As for the Armstrongs, the brothers (6) of Mary emigrated to England and she went to America. Her parents were Mary and Michael Armstrong. I found two possible parent pairs, one in Ballyglass and one in Carrownaleck. I am grateful for any information about these families.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mohill - Rynn - Dromod - Conboy - Tighe - Mc Kenna - Quigley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Family Search has several baptisms for Conboy- parents Patrick and Catherine Keeffe. You have probably seen those as they are the same generation.
Would all the family have emigrated by 1901 census?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 56jole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kilvarnet 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Mohill - Rynn - Dromod - Conboy - Keeffe - Tighe - Mc Kenna - Quigley
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for such a quick reply, yes I have all those for Patrick's brothers.
And yes, all of them emigrated before the 1901 census.
Last summer I visited the Genealogy Center in Leitrim and gave them what I had about the descendants.
Even the pastor in Drumlish checked his records, because my grandmother's sister always said he came from there. I walked through the old graveyard there as well, but found no trace other than a few McKennas.
After returning home, I located a descendant of one of the brothers who had the correct information about the places of birth. Then I located a first cousin of my father who verified that and gave me more info, including the name Quigley.
I imagine finding the ancestors of Patrick Sr. and Catherine will be like finding a needle in a haystack.
When I have some more time, I will try to post more about those who came to America. They settled in the New York area, but are now of course spread out all of the country.
Thanks again, so much, for your interest!

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hello. Not sure if this is of any help but there is a marriage record for John McKenna and Catherine Quigley, at St Athanatius Church, Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland. They were married on 5th August 1855. The writing is quite difficult to read but it looks like Catherine came from Leitrim, and was baptised in 1829. Would this be your relative?

Offline 56jole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kilvarnet 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 June 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Very kind of you to post this and time will tell if they are connected -
A cousin will be visiting Ireland this summer and will be sent your information. Hoping she will be able to find more information about Catherine Keefe's and Patrick Conboy's ancestors. When we know more we will post it here! Thank you so much for this contribution.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Very kind of you to post this and time will tell if they are connected -
A cousin will be visiting Ireland this summer and will be sent your information. Hoping she will be able to find more information about Catherine Keefe's and Patrick Conboy's ancestors. When we know more we will post it here! Thank you so much for this contribution.

Lots of fantastic new resources online since you started this thread back in 2012 so most information can possibly be found before your relatives visits Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 56jole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kilvarnet 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, we are open to suggestions! I have posted more information about Patrick's immediate family at Find a Grave Memorial# 165656549. He was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Nyack, N.Y. Will continue to see what turns up on the ancestor side...

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi 56jole,

I to am looking for McKenna’s who came from Ireland.  From where in Ireland, I know not.

My Great-Grandmother, Catherine McKenna, came over to England from Ireland in the 1840’s and lived with her sister, Margaret McKenna and Margaret’s husband Bernard Hughes in Birkenhead.  In 1854 Catherine married my Great-Grandfather, William Taylor, who also came from Ireland, in Liverpool, and eventually settled in Rochdale, where she died in 1896.  Catherine’s father was Richard McKenna, who was a Corn Dealer, possibly in Dublin.

I know this is a “long shot”, but are any of these names familiar to you ?   If so, I would love to know what kind of connection we might have.