Author Topic: Alexander Mackey  (Read 11308 times)

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Mackey
« on: Monday 25 June 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a birth record for Alexander Mackey, born about 1864. On his marriage certificate in 1897 he gives his father's name also as Alexander, occupation farmer. I have found some birth records for a Mackey family of Ballynure and also the 1901/1911 census lists a family in Templepatrick with the same names as the birth records. If Alexander was the eldest of this family, would his birth not been registered in 1864.  Also is Ballynure anywhere near Templewick.  The family were Presbyterian.  Alexander was a constable in the RIC before he emigrated to New Zealand in the early 1900's.  On the 1901 census he is living in Ballyhooley, Cork, birthplace given as County Antrim.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards Moya

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mackey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Templewick? Templepatrick to Ballynure is about 8 miles.
Civil registration of births began in 1864 and certainly in the later years not all births were registered but you'll need more proof to connect your Alexander to the ones you find. Since you only have an estimate and not an actual date of birth it'spossible that Alexander was born shortly before 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Some Mackey births in Ballynure where the father was Alexander and the mother was Esther Drummond who married on 3 Jun 1862 in Raloo Presbyterian Church, Larne District.
12 Oct 1868 Eliza
3 Apr 1870 Ellen
27 Dec 1873 Margaret.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 01:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I got my temples mixed up  (senior moment!) The birth records for the three children, can you let me know where you found them, and were they born in Raloo or Ballynure, I have been told that Raloo would have been the parish of the bride and the children may have been born elsewhere. Regards  Moya

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
Yet another senior moment, have just re-read your info, I see it was Ballynure.   Moya

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 04:59 BST (UK) »
If you go into familysearch - Ireland births and baptisms - and search for the surname 'Mackey' with father's first name 'Alexander', not only will Eliza, Ellen and Margaret appear to that father and Drummond mother, but also Jenny, John, Martha, Esther and Mary, the first three in Ballynure, the last two about 1 mile west in Ballycorr.  Looking at the dates, and if this is the right family, then Alexander junior is likely to have been born before the summer of 1863.

https://www.familysearch.org/

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Gaffy. I did find the other children on Family Search, all on the Civil records. As the parents were married June 1862, it is quite likely their first child would have been born 1863, so not on the Civil register, and highly likely that he would have been named for his father. I have been in touch with the Presbyterian Church Librarian and hopefully she may find a baptism for Alexander. Thankyou for your interest.  Regards  Moya

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 12 04:20 BST (UK) »
All my research on the Mackeys of Ballynure have come to nothing.  I have just been informed by the person for whom I am doing this research that the Mackey's farmed land in the Lisburn area, and that one of the brothers of Alexander junior was a bootmaker in Belfast.  I have found an Alexander Mackey on Griffiths valuation, parish of Magherall,  I also found a marriage in 1856 Lisburn. On the 1901 census the only Mackeys in Mullycarton/Magherall were farmers Sarah (widow) and son Jeremiah (born c.1875). The bootmakers name was Edmund Mackey, born c.1860. Edmund was Presbyterian. Jeremiah was COI. Is anyone able to look up the marriage record for Alexander in 1856.  Thankyou,  Moya

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 12 05:47 BST (UK) »

Familysearch shows a marriage taking place on 23 January 1856 between Alexander Mackey and Mary Jane Cummins in Ballinderry Church of Ireland, his DOB estimated as 1823, hers as 1834, his father James and hers John.