Author Topic: Visit to East Sussex Record Office  (Read 15551 times)

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to East Sussex Record Office
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

If you have enough time would you mind looking up a parish record for me please.

Phillis Heasman
chr 18 feb 1798
Barcombe Sussex
Parents- William Heasman and Ann?

Am pretty sure this is my missing convict lady.

Any info would be wonderful.

Thanks
Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 05 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
I think you've probably got quite enough to keep you busy but if you get time I would really appreciate it if you could see if you could find a birth/baptism record for Sarah Vine who was my gr.gr.grandmother.  The only info that I have is that she was born c 1833 (from census's although her marriage certificate age works out a birth date of c.1831) and that her father was William Vine.  I know i don't have much to give you and you're probably snowed under with the previous requests but I've hit a bit of a brickwall with Sarah!
Anyway good luck with your visit!!
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 05 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

If you still have time....

I need a look-up on the baptism of William Arthur Thurston - St Nicholas, Brighton, 5th September 1869.  There is some discrepancy with regard to his father's name, I need to know whether it is James, or Samuel -( Samuel is the name on his marriage cert) but I haven't found him on any census with William) and believe he might have died when William was very young.

If it's not too much trouble would you also be able to look for  James/Samuel and Hannah Thurston's marriage(pre1869)  or their deaths around 1869 - 1872. James/Samuel was a 'hotel keeper'(according to William's marriage cert), Hannah supposedly drank herself to death........(William was a 'visitor' in 1871 with the Shelley family and appears there as adopted son until his marriage in 1893 which leads me to believe he was orphaned young).

Understand if you don't get time for all this but the baptism check is the most important bit at the moment :)

Thank you

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 05 16:05 BST (UK) »
Chris,
Thank you for this opportunity and the generous offer of your time – it really is appreciated. 

Marriage Lookup in Brighton 1851-1861
William James Sayers and Sarah __

An 1861 Census Lookup revealed a William married to Sarah.  This guy looks suspicious:  I think he’s mine, but according to my records William married a Rhoda Cain. 

If time permits...
Thank you,
~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 May 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya Chris

Janet here - I wonder if you could check whether the Records office has the following Christening Records for St Mary in the Castle Hastings.  for 1878, 1885 and 1886.   Hastings Library does not have these,  I am particularly interested in Matthew Bird who was christened on 7 Nov 1886 and his sister Sarah Ann Ripley christened 1885.  I cannot find a birth record for Matthew Bird (don't think he was registered) so am keen to get hold of this.  I will go if I know they have it.  I did e-mail the records office but they did not reply.

Thanks for the very kind offer

Janet Bird

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 May 05 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris for your generosity.
I need the burial details of William George TWITCHIN who died in the latter part of 1879 and if it's no burden his daughter in law Annie TWITCHIN who died in mid 1942.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 May 05 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there Troods, Ratty, Hlbradd,  ~meg, Janet B and joboy

Have now printed out a hard copy of your request

Will use this as my work sheet at the record office

Couple of questions though -

1. Donna (Ratty) - where am I looking in Sussex for a baptism record for Sarah Vine?

2. Joboy - where am I looking for burial details for William Twitchin?

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 May 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
All I have is Brighton and his progeny were living in Upper Lewes Road Brighton in 1891.
Sorry I cant be more specific.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 May 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer.

If you do have any time left I would really appreciate a lookup for Charles Flint born 1803 West Grinstead Sussex and Ann Nicholls born 1803 Shipley Sussex.  According to the IGI Charles and Ann were married at Henfield on 19 December 1830 - would love to know who the witnesses were and where they were living at the time as well.

Gill

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)