Author Topic: Newhouses, Cumberland  (Read 6910 times)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newhouses, Cumberland
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
I came across a family tree with my grandfather's name on it, however, a different wife and child. As a result, I am now curious as to whether the information is correct or if the person building their family tree got the info mixed up. Part of the info in the census attached to the tree indicates the people were born in Newhouses, Cumberland. My ancestors were born in Carlisle. Where is newhouses and is it close to Carlisle?
Thanks, Alison
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newhouses, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Alison, you would be strongly advised to do your own research and not rely on the information on online trees. Some are perfectly accurate, but it would ring alarm bells to me if someone gave my grandfather the wrong wife, and indicate that other parts of their tree are likely to be incorrect.

PS. I can't see a place called Newhouses in Cumberland, though there are some in other parts of the country. If such a place existed in Cumberland, it may have been the name of a farm or smaller hamlet or similar. Which census is the family living in Newhouses? Could you supply reference details and names please so I can have a look?  ;)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Googling Newhouses brings up some other researchers who have family at Newhouses, Preston Quarter, Whitehaven.

I agree with Ruskie. Don't use any of that kind of information without first confirming for yourself.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Googling Newhouses brings up some other researchers who have family at Newhouses, Preston Quarter, Whitehaven.

I tried googling and ended up with lots of references to new houses.   ;D So, Newhouses Whitehaven ... nowhere near Carlisle.  ;)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
They are well shown on the 1874 1:500 map here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=297155,517507 (choose map on right)

Built into the hillside, such that the doorsteps of Back Row were almost level with the rooftops of Middle Row ... same for Middle Row/Front Row.

Almost 300 houses with irregular water supply and 7 "ash pits".   :o

Living room and scullery downstairs, one bedroom upstairs. :(
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your info and advice. A question for Geoff, it appears on the map, Newhouses, Cumberland was part of Whitehaven. Am I correct? I just want to be sure I am interpreting the map correctly.
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your info and advice. A question for Geoff, it appears on the map, Newhouses, Cumberland was part of Whitehaven. Am I correct? I just want to be sure I am interpreting the map correctly.

Yes :)

Church ... possibly parish of St Bees, township of Preston Quarter.  Whitehaven was a chapelry in St Bees parish  ???  These Cumberland parishes can occasionally be a bit confusing.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CUL/StBees/Gaz1868.html
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
If you are certain that your ancestors came from Carlisle, I think a better bet is Newhouse Farm, locally referred to as Newhouses.  It is about 2 miles South West of Carlisle centre between Wigton Road and Orton Road, quite close to the new Northern Development route. For many years it was occupied by  a Johnston family.

There is also the possibility of the place, Bolton New Houses, about three miles south west of Wigton, near Bolton Low Houses.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
Alison, as I said earlier, if you give us the names of the family plus any census references you have for them, we will be able to have a look and maybe get a better idea of which particular New/Houses this family are living in. Otherwise it is all just speculation.

But I think you should forget the online tree for the moment and go back to the beginning with your family. You obviously know who your grandfather married. Do you have your grandfather and his family in any censuses at all? Might he even have married twice? Do you need some help or second opinions on your findings?

And if this is not your family anyway, do you really want to know where Newhouses is?  ;)