Author Topic: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork  (Read 7987 times)

Offline marbil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 December 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Suds

see your post on hobbs harris - seems we may well be related.

Bill

Offline BrenC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 November 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, by chance I just came across your posts. I have done some local history research on the area of Blackrock, Cork. Samuel Andrew Hobbs rented Pleasantview(later Lakeview) on a lease dated 4th Feb 1807. A Samuel A. Hobbs appears in the local tithe list dated 1827. This house i.e. Lakeview, appears on the 1840 Ordnance Survey Map on the below link - just toggle down to Cork city and find Blackrock Castle to the east of the city on the edge of the river Lee. Lakeview is just to the south of the Castle. Rgds
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,599997,749998,1,10

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 November 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Bren C

Thanks for your response to an old thread. The age is relevant because my memory fades and it takes me a while to get back up to speed and sme of it moght have fallen down the back of the sofa.

Anyway, your linkage of a house owned by the Hobbs family (Pleasantview) to Lakeview is interesting, I've not come across that before. I had some discussion about the house here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=541486.msg3972072#msg3972072

You may have already seen it.

There may be questions that you can ask that would trigger memories so fire away.

Suds

Offline musca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
suds

I think we are both researching the same families.  The links are there - lawyers, christian names, Marlborough St., etc.  My great grandfather Commander Edward Hicks RN was married on 17 October 1867 to Mary Jones (could also be Jane) Hobbs born 1844 died 1936 daughter of William Hobbs, born 1803 died 1883, Solicitor of Cork, and is shown as an executor of his will. Probate was 29 January 1884? to her and Catherine Hobbs, spinster, of South Terrace, Cork - I think it was No.6 South Terrace.
I can send you a photograph which came into my possession last year of the Hobbs family.  I have had no luck in getting more information on any of the family in the photo, except I know of some of the life of my great grandmother, Mary Jones Hobbs.
Prittie also rings a bell - I think a Col. Prittie was thrown from the ramparts of a castle and survived!  I will look up what I have.
Best wishes, Musca

Offline musca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
marbil
re.yourmessages to suds 14 Dec 2015.  I can confirm that William Hobbs died at 6 South Terrace, Cork, on 19 Dec 1883 and was buried at St.Finbarrs' two days later.  Colonel Henry Prittie is mentioned in my grandmother's scrapbook and she thought she was related to him.
Thanks, Francis

Offline musca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Commander Edward Hicks RN was Inspecting Officer at Kinsale Coastguard and met his future wife Mary Jones Hobbs around the time of this posting.  He went on to serve on HMS Northumberland and then became Captain of HMS Akbar a reformatory ship on the Mersey for naughty Liverpool lads.  The conditions on this hulk were contributory to his death in 1902.  He is buried at Bebington Cemetery on the Wirral.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 09:37 BST (UK) »
.........William Hobbs died at 6 South Terrace, Cork, on 19 Dec 1883.........

His death record
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06330/4815303.pdf
The informant was his daughter Henrietta, also of 6 South Terrace, Cork.
She died on 29th August 1939, aged 85 at 6 South Terrace.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1939/04738/4267747.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline musca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
KG Thanks for your response.
Francis

Offline Dobwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 23:48 GMT (UK) »
William Hobbs brother of Danny Hobbs was my Grandfather..