Author Topic: WARNER  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WARNER
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 November 04 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Findem,
              Just seen your conversation with the Taffy girl in which you say you might have some Celtic blood in you. You might be lucky, my mother was a a Warner from the Great Dunmow- Hatfield Broad Oak mob, I was born in Scotland and am as Scots in attitude As the Black Watch. My ancestors on that side were Ulster Scots who can go back to the Border Rievers. This makes Ancestor hunting intriguing, confusing, exhilarating when there is a little success, and lots of fun. Not only that but I have met some very fine fellow genealogists in my cyber travels. Now, I am still chasing Warners from Essex and am particularly keen to find the parents and siblings of John Warner who married Martha Perry in 1771, anyone chasing these or any other Gt. Dunmow Warners would make welcome contacts,
                                  Regards
                                              Alistair

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair,
My next search will be Little Wakering for my Robert Warner although at this stage I suppose anywhere in Essex is a likely location.  Hopefully I'll be at the ERO around February 2006, all being well, my mother will be 100 come mid February 2006 so we will be in the UK to celebrate.
I think your Border Rievers will lead you a fine dance (hotfoot pursuit?), a lot of the English and Scots border rievers had related families on both sides of the border.
Good luck with your Warners.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 November 04 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Findem,

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 November 04 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Findem,
                        Give my regards to your mother, that is quite an achievement in this day and era. I feel decidedly youthful at seventy-six..  have a good trip to the UK , I hope you can sort out those pesky Warners. As for the Border Reivers, if you read a bit try ' The Steel Bonnets' they would have a hard job making a film about them.
                                        All the best
                                                 Alistair

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 November 04 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Will pass on your regards Alistair.
Who wrote Steel Bonnets? sounds like my kind of book.
I've read a lot of Nigel Tranter's books, there is mention of the Border Riever families in several of his books, he sometime uses the term "Moss Troopers" to describe them.  I suppose you know that in the battles against the English the Moss Troopers were used as a light cavalry, I have loads more "useless info" like that  ;D
Regards.

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Findem,
                                   George Macdonald-Fraser wrote ' The Steel Bonnets'. he used to be a newspaper editor and also wrote the Flashman series. It really is a great insight into  border history  in the sixteenth century.
One reviewer described the reivers as 'back-stabbing, double-crossing, treacherous, thieving......' . I think he must have met them on their best behaviour. There is nothing surer than that they could easily be mistaken for modern politicians. Anyone with Armstrong, Graham, Douglas or other border blood in them might learn a bit from the book.
                    Regards
                            Alistair

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Alistair, I'll have a look for the book.
I am an avid reader and have read quite a few of the Flashman books.
There is another book entitled "The General Danced at Dawn?" (think that's right) which I believe is by the same author and hilarious, it is centred around a Highland Regiment.  I'm not 100% sure it's by George MacDonald-Fraser so I had a quick look but couldn't find it, I'll look again when I get off the net.
Back-stabbing, double-crossing, treacherous, thieving, certainly describes politicians over here, especially the current mob, what is most worrying is that they appear to consider it's acceptable to behave that way.
Regards

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair,

Thought it was about time that I posted something on here! 
Have you got a definite connection now with the John Warners?  I'm just confused with them all!
Still haven't sent the letter off to the church to find out about who they might be but I'll list them here and see if anyone knows...

In the churchyard of the United Reformed Church in Great Dunmow there is a family memorial to Warners that includes:

Mary Warner d. 184?
John Warner b.1802
John Josolyne Warner d.11/04/1857 aged 38 - "For some years past an active and indefatigable partner in the commercial academy in this town".
Catherine Hannah Warner - 6th Daughter of John & Mary Warner d.26/1/1840? aged 27
Joseph Robert Warner - 3rd son of John & Mary Warner d.19/08/1844 aged 18.

So, at this moment in time they remain a mystery and as to whether we are connected to them remains to be seen.  Hopefully there is someone out there who knows who they are!

Ooh, and also think I've found the Great Granddaughter of Edward Warner b.1882 d.21/03/1918 (he's on the third page in from the right hand side on the tree I think)
I'll keep you posted!

Regards, Emma ???
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 December 04 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Emma,
                          There is certainly a lot of confusion over the myriads of John Warners. I have the John born in 1802 as the first child of John b.1774 and Sarah Joyce. The earlier ones  might be related to John and Mary Scrivener who married in 1732. I will have another check. As you say there may be others hunting members of this tree. 'Findem' and Bob Woods perhaps may be able to help (hint hint!)
         All the best
                Alistair