Author Topic: WARNER  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: WARNER
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 December 04 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair,
 :o So, if John Warner b.1802 - the one at the Reformed Church is the eldest son of John Warner and Sarah Joyce, then that will answer the questions as to who he was...
Maybe?!  Let me know!!
I've written the letter to the church today so hopefully they will come up with something!

Regards, Emma
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 December 04 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma,
                  The records I made during my quick trip to Chelmsford in May show a John Warner baptised June 6 1802, aged 10 weeks, son of John and Sarah. ... labourer...Green Church. I also have John Warner marrying Sarah Joyce on 11 Oct. 1798 in presence of Stephen Warner and John Gunn. These are the only two I found who could be John b.1802's parents, however, there may be others.
             The Green Church bit is interesting, I wonder if that was the United Reform Church,
                        Regards
                              Alistair.

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 December 04 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair
Just a bit of useless information, but, the United Reformed Church I think was formed in 1972 by the union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England.

Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 December 04 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for that info.  I'm just scouring the net looking for more info on the URC.  Must have been a church there before though...I can feel a long hard slog coming on!

Regards, Emma :)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 December 04 19:39 GMT (UK) »
And yes Sue, it was formed in 1972.   So who were there before them?!  ::)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 December 04 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have an ERO Handlist of Parish and Non-Conformist Registers held by the ERO.
They list Registers of the Great Dunmow Independents:-
Births & Baptisms 1733-1837.
Deaths & Burials  1783-1856.
The Handlist is dated 1982-3 so it might be worthwhile checking to see if they have added to the Handlist.
I've found that Non-Conformists were prepared to travel to other parishes for worship, baptism etc.  Some of mine were born in Great Leighs but baptised in Braintree, caused quite a problem finding them which in the end came down to a goodly slice of luck.
Regarding Alistair's earlier reply to Emma, 9/12/04, I'm afraid I'm not likely to be able help with your Warner problem (or mine) until  the year 2006  :(  However if you get your Joyce family back to the period of mid 1600 to 1777, I have quite a few of them from Shalford.
Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 December 04 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Findem,
                               Alistair here, sorry I cant get the Joyce family back as far as 1700 yet but I will try.  I agree those Warners are a problem back about 1700-1750 but with so many of us chasing them we might be able to use the American industry method of problem solving... trample it to death!
  Anyway have a good and safe Christmas, I look forward to much more contact in the future,
                 All the best
                   Alistair in Australia

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 December 04 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue,
               Thank you Sue, I am never very sure which religion is what these days and this may help sort out the Warners, I know some were registered as 'Independent' but 'Independent of what?' becomes the question.
                   Regards
                        Alistair

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 December 04 08:05 GMT (UK) »
HI All
This has been interesting, and at least given me a break from looking for my names.
It's looking like there were a lot of Independent's in Essex which later went on to be other churches. (a lot are now URC)
These are some areas that I found that had Independent churches:
Halstead, Kelvedon, Tollesbury, Henham, Finchingfield, Stansted, Stebbing, Clavering, Wethersfield, Newport, Billericay, Colchester, Thaxted, Abess Roding, Ockendon.
Then I found that Seax has a 'Lithograph of the interior view of the new sunday school, Independent chapel, Dunmow', which is recorded under Dunmow Congregational, which later became URC.
So looks like that's what it was before.
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick