Author Topic: Evans the Shoemakers of Monmouth  (Read 2251 times)

guest189040

Evans the Shoemakers of Monmouth
« on: Friday 29 June 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am descended from James b 1861 in Monmouth via William b1873 in India and William's daughter Alice Elizabeth b 1902.

James served in the 36th Regiment for 15 years and then another 5 in the Monmouth militia.

I have a comprehensive Evans tree from 1806 including all siblings and their descendents.

I am looking for any other family who are interested in Evans the Shoemakers, if you are please make contact.

It would seem that at least 1 in each generation was...you guessed it.....a shoemaker including my Great Grandfather William.

Colin

ps I am on Ancestry so have all the links there

guest189040

Re: Evans the Shoemakers of Monmouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Its been a while so thought I would bump my original thread to see if there is any interested parties on the forum.

As it happens the business premisis where the Evans plied their shoemaking craft is still there, it is now a Florist and it is near Monnow Bridge. 

We visited and had a look around the shop last year.

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone joined the Monmouth Family History group Mongenes?

I am looking to see how effective it is.

I have made good progress but as yet a few loose ends exist.

Offline AdiSmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 18 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to trace my ancestry line. I was wondering if there's a John Evans (1834-1901) who was married to Mary Ann Young (1837-1905) on your family tree? It seems they had at least 12 children.
Many thanks
Adi

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Adi

I do have a John Evans born about 1834, he was the son of John and Ann Evans.

John Evans senior was a Shoemaker and he seems to have taught all his sons the craft.

I have John and Mary married and in the Wales census if 1861.

I do have a lit of children for them but I may be missing some as they would be on my my great aunt and uncle line.

I am directly related to John’s younger brother James again a shoemaker but also primarily a soldier.

I have found a marriage if John and a Mary Ann Hill but it is a guess that it is correct.  I have not followed any indirect relation up with obtaining certificates.

Trying to pin down anyone with the surname Evans in Wales is a bit of a problem and my prime asset is that they were shoemakers.

My tree is on Ancestry, if you are on Ancestry pm me with your user name and I will send an invite to view the tree.