Author Topic: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandfather Samuel Edgar Key
    • View Profile
Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple
« on: Friday 29 June 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on a shop that used to be in Barnstaple Devon.

The shop was a bakers and was located on Litchdon Street although I don't know the number.  it was owned by George French (My GGG Grandfather), I belive that the business was in Barnstaple since around 1842 but I can't be sure it was always in Litchdon Street.

In 1882 the business was passed to George French Jnr who carried on running it as a bakers, he was definately still there in 1911 as the census shows it.

I would love to locate a photo of the store front or a street photo with the shop visible but so far I haven't been able to find any photos of the street that provide this.

Any suggestions would be greatly recieved, or if anyone has in there posession a photo and would be willing to share that would be even better.

Many thanks

Michelle
Key / Bennett / French / Bullock / Ellis
Stoke-on-Trent / Huddersfield / Devon

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 12 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle, cannot assist with a photograph I am afraid, but searching the 1891 for Litchdon Street tells me that at number 5 was George & Eliza French and family, George being a Bread Baker b Barnstaple c 1845, at number 3 was the Liberal Club.
In 1881 Geoge and his father George, were at number 26, both shown as Baker & Confectioners Census Ref RG11/2244/128/32 again in 1871 George snr is shown as a Master Baker, and son William aged 24 a Baker once again in Litchdon Street Census Ref RG10/2184/55/27 and in 1861 George occ Bread Baker and family, are at Queen Street, Barnstaple Census Ref RG09/1489/17/27 and in 1851 the family were in Boutport Street, Barnstaple, George being a Bread Baker Census Ref HO107/1892/144/30.
1841 they were in Litchdon Street, George being a Baker Census Ref HO107/203/13/21
In 1851 a John Andrew aged 43 was also a Bread Baker in Litchdon Street b Swimbridge, Devon
Census Ref HO107/1892/337/7
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

I've not been able to track down a photo of the shop in the collection of books of old Barnstaple I have, but if it's still there (& I think it is, although some houses in Litchdon Street have gone) I could take a modern photo. The house numbers given in the Censuses don't tally (No5 & No 26) but I think they must be the same property as I checked the distance of the French's business from the Exeter Inn, which is still there, and the gap is the same (6 houses) in both 1881 & 1891. Let me know if you'd like this. It might be worth contacting North Devon Record Office - they could let you know if they have any old photos of the street and property

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the kind offer, If it's not to much trouble a modern photo would be great.

Once I've finished up my research I'm planning to put together a book of my ancestry and as I'm not lucky enough to have lots of photo's of my ancestors I was going to use pictures of places they lived/worked to add something visual.

I'll also contact the records office and see if they have an old photo or can suggest anywhere else that may have.

Many thanks again

Michelle

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
No problem Michelle - I'll try to get down to town later this week

Steve
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
If you enter 'Litchdon Street Barnstaple' into Google, it pulls up a map which is interactive and enables you to look at a street view and 'stroll' along the street. You can even see street numbers on the properties.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle

Had a look at Litchdon Street today - No5 has been demolished, along with 2-4 and a car park stands on the site. If the numbers now are the same as 1911, I'm afraid you'll have to chase up the Record Office to see if they have anything. DOB7's suggestion for seeing the street via Google is a great idea for getting a sense of what the area was like - its now a small one-way back street (mostly residential at the end away from the town) but it was once the main road to Exeter and houses a wonderful 17th century Almshouse. I have also sent you a PM

Steve

Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michelle,
Think that my ggg grandfather was also George French, Baker of Barnstaple.  I am descended from Elizabeth Jane French, his eldest daughter, who moved to London to work as a cook at the Royal Free Hospital.  She married James Withers and they had a daughter, Amelia, who then gave birth to my grandfather, Joseph Webb.

Did you get very far with your research?

Paul U

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I believe that you are right when you say we share the same ggg grandfather, I've done some research on George French (Elizabeth's brother) .... he had a really interesting life.  Also I have researched Elizabeth's 2 sisters Selina and Emma. (Emma being my gg grandmother).

I'd be happy to share the information I have :)

Michelle

Hello Michelle,
Think that my ggg grandfather was also George French, Baker of Barnstaple.  I am descended from Elizabeth Jane French, his eldest daughter, who moved to London to work as a cook at the Royal Free Hospital.  She married James Withers and they had a daughter, Amelia, who then gave birth to my grandfather, Joseph Webb.

Did you get very far with your research?

Paul U