Author Topic: Thomas Power  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Juliros

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Power
« on: Saturday 30 June 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone out there. I have spent months trying to track down my Irish grandfather and finally got hold of his Naval record which gave me his place of birth as New Ross, Co. Wexford. His name is Thomas Power, date of birth 10th October 1896, occupation Farm Labourer. His father is named also as Thomas Power, occupation General Labourer.  I can't find any good matches on the 1901 and 1911 census. Have tried the Family Search but drawn a blank apart from one record which apparantly can't be accessed as destroyed in a flood? Can anyone give me a possible lead to follow. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Power
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
Have tried the Family Search but drawn a blank apart from one record which apparantly can't be accessed as destroyed in a flood? 

where did you apply for this birth record - GRO Roscommon, New Ross registration office ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Juliros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
I haven't applied for the potential certificate. I have the Family Search microfiche ref which I took with me to the Olympia "Who Do you Think You Are" exhibition early this year. Family Search had a stand with the computer system on-line, but they advised me that although the record is indexed there is no actual record to view on microfiche as the date covers a period where the actual records were destroyed by flood damage! Does this make any sense?. I don't think I have enough information to order a certificate because I only have Grandads name and date of birth? Also I am doubtful this is the right record now since looking up registration districts yesterday. It appears New Ross had its own, separate from Wexford and this record is a birth registered in Wexford. Hope I haven't rambled too much. So appreciate your advice  ::)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
As well as the record in the local registration offices a copy was sent to head office in in Dublin, and these were used to create the full volumes used by head office and create the BMD index, a copy of which is available on FamilySearch.

If you have likely Index references, It's definitely worth ordering a cert from GRO Head Office now in Roscommon.

see :  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Juliros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much Shane. I will do this and will certainly post how I get on. What a wonderful website this is.  :D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
re the districts - New Ross registration district is in the south west of the county and covers New Ross, Arthurstown, Duncannon, Fethard, Ramsgrange, Slade etc

Wexford district is based in Wexford town in the south east of the county.

One point to keep in mind in that some births were registered before a name was decided - so your Thomas could be listed as 'Male' Power...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline kimmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 19 08:24 GMT (UK) »
What was your grandmother's name? Thomas Power is a potential husband of a relative of mine

Offline Juliros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 19 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kimmcc
My Thomas Power joined the British Navy, came to England and married my Grandmother Lena in Totnes Devon.

Offline kimmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Not mine then, will continue my search. Thanks for replying.