Author Topic: ANTCLIFF family Notts  (Read 12260 times)

Offline margerie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANTCLIFF family Notts
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Those names and dates dont ring any bells at my end :((

My gg grandad was John Henry b 1845...he married Sarah Wilson of Clarborough in 1864..their children Charles b approx 1865, William George b 1868 (my g grandad) and John Thomas b approx 1870.

Charles, I have not got a clue what happened to him...John T married Agnes Watts, and resided in Sheffield all their lives with their brood.

Thankyou for your time and effort anyway  ;D

Sara

Offline margerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
I havent managed to get any further back im afraid...hit a brick wall years ago, and still trying to knock it down so to speak.

The only other info I have I posted in original post above, re 1861 and 1851 census info.

Just dont know where to go from here...may have to  take a day trip to Nottingham archives at some point.

Sara

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
As I have said the census info, as far as I can discover, refers to my Sarah born 1781 East Markham, the daughter of Luke Antcliffe and wife Mary Johnson. I am trying to knock down your wall.!

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,
I think what we are trying to tell you is that it is possible John/Mary/Sarah are all the Children of Elizabeth the Daughter of Sarah.

They all appear on Census that you have quoted as Sarahs Grandchildren.
The Baptism I quoted is possibly Elizabeths, Daug of Sarah.

1871 Census Sarah is born c 1853, Spilsby, Lincolnshire ???
1861 John Antcliffe is born c 1843, Markham, Notts

Elizabeth Ancliffe appears to be with Robert WARD by 1871;
1871 Census, Retford, Notts;
RG10/3454/29/17
Robert WARD    48
Elizabeth Ward    48, Wife, born East Markham
Charles B Ward    10
Robert Ward    10
Alexander ANCLIFF 10 mths, Grandson

1881 they are in Lincs, Alexnader is still with them.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline margerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 12 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks LARKSPUR..

I read your message wrong...I think I got confused with SARAH...there are so many Sarah's in the family....thankyou....I do appreciate your help :) :)

Hi Trish, thanks to you too, your help is also appreciated :)

I have Sarahs birth certificate, and she was born 4th MAY 1853, Lidget Lane, Clarborough... even though online records state she was born in Spilsby...deffo typo.

Sara

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 July 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
They didnt seem to like Christening their Children the Ancliffes ::)
I cant find Alexanders Parents at all.
Joh/Mary/Sarahs Christenings either.

OK just found that Alexander is down as Sarah Stephensons Nephew in 1891 Census.
(Under Alick Antliff c 1871)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 July 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
It makes things easier if you put the birth year after the name. IE Sarah 1781, Sarah 1853. I was refering of course to Sarah 1781. I can go backwards another few generations with her.

The Alexander Antcliff aged 10 months on the 1871 census, was baptised 4 August 1870 at St Swithun East Retford- he was the son of Mary A of West street a spinster.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 July 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Ok Trish we crossed in that posting sorry. The illegitimate children of Elizabeth (1820), do not seem to have been baptised.
 Mary A is on 1851 as 2 year old grand dau of Sarah (1781)
 On the 1861 Census Mary is a 12 year old house servant living in Weston.
1871 Mary A is a 23 year old servant in Ordsall, Retford.

Marriage Freebmd
Sarah Antcliff and Edward Charlton Stephenson Sheffield, Jun 1871 9c/408

Offline margerie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 July 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to you both :)

Larkspur,  my research and the info that you have given me so far, appears to tie in with the family, so fingers crossed we could be linked by Sarah 1781... :)

Trish, thanks for this info too. I did not have this, however, this is the same family, as I am able to confirm that Sarah Stephenson is Sarah Antcliff 1853..I have her marriage cert, so this ties in perfectly :) she married Edward Charlton Stephenson in 1871  :)

Sara