Author Topic: Help! Perth History!  (Read 27539 times)

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Perth History!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 July 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I did think that was the white bridge.  I now know where you mean, strange to think a pub was ever there.  I must get down to the Museum and see if they have any photos of "old" Hunters.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 July 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I beg to differ from Joe  McDonald Court I think is what used to be Ruthven Place which was a culdesac off Ruthven Avenue. If you use the link to google maps that Joe provided turn through 180 degrees Ruthven avenue is the street that runs along in front of you. If you go to the right hand end this was all new housing when they built fairfield. The 2 storey tenement on the right hand side was the last building in Ruthven Avenue in 1979 there was one of these across the road which appears to have been demolished. at the end of this street where the trees are this is now a football pitch once the town dump. At the end of these 2 storey buildings were prefabs which in the sixties when they were emptied prior to demolishion were our playground.The stepps with Joes father on them was infact as stated the fues hoose pub these steps were our journey to school at Goodlyburn. the area over his shoulder was in fact Tulloch road. The waste area were you can see the remnants of trees and hedging was for a short time also used as a refuse tip. strange how the memories come back. I noticed that they have changed the numbering in what used to be Ruthven Place it used to be numbered from the right as you look into the entry No1 round to No5.

Yours Aye
BruceL

P.S. Fairfield avenue is now what I think was Ruthven Avenue

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have had another look at google maps Fairfield Avenue was definitely Ruthven Avenue but has now been extended. Ruthven Avenue exited onto the Crieff road where the bus stop is shown at Toll house gardens. At this area was a paper shop, a Chip shop and a cafe where we spent our school diner money on chips and the pin ball machine and juke box.

Hunters crescent followed the line of Leslie Ct,McKenzie Ct etc and exited onto the Crieff road at where the roundabout at car radio services is. car radio services used to be the local post office operated by a gentleman by the name of Todd or at least it was known as Todd's this gentleman gave this up in the seventies I think and moved to a guest house at Gannochy.

At the junction of Crieff road and Tulloch road what is now Anchor house was the local policeman's house this guy knew everyone in the area by name and reputation. At the junction of Fairfield Avenue and Leslie Ct (Hunters Crescent) This used to be a big crossroads (Hunters crescent continued to Tulloch road) This was our local football pitch not as much traffic back then. The local bus service used to run from the junction of Huntrers crescent Tulloch road to Darnhall drive. The bus used to reverse into hunters crescent and turn left into Tulloch road.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
I now go with what Bruce has said. My sister used to live in Ruthven Place then. Am I right in saying there was a Ruthven Terrace as well?

My granny lived in Hunter Terrace and there was a children's swing park behind her house. It was all concrete and broken glass IIRC. I used to get taken over to my gran's while my mum and dad worked then he would pick me up in his coal lorry at teatime.

I'm trying to find an old street plan with Hunters as it was or I'll try to sketch it.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe

I don't think there was a Ruthven Terrace. Hunters Terrace linked Hunters Crescent and Ruthven Avenue. I don't remember a swing park in Hunters Terrace either I believe the swing park is where the swing park is now next to the railway.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Added:  http://maps.nls.uk/os/one-inch-seventh-series/view/?jp2=91553694

Use the above link zoom in and you will find Hunters Crescent bounded by the Crieff road, the Railway and the town lade.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Links to sites with pictures of old Perth

Yours Aye
BruceL

http://special.st-andrews.ac.uk/saspecial/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0o7x/

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
My granny lived in Hunter Terrace and there was a children's swing park behind her house. It was all concrete and broken glass IIRC. I used to get taken over to my gran's while my mum and dad worked then he would pick me up in his coal lorry at teatime.

Hi,

Have been reading about "Hunters" & some good as well as bad memories.
I lived in that posh street Hunter Terrace  ;D so there's a good chance I may have known your granny if you can give me a surname please or house number with alphabet  :P

There sure was a playpark there as well as the one at the railway end.
In fact, the posh Hunter Terrace one had a Piler and did we all pile onto it  ;D

In summer we would venture to the railway one and pile the grass up for a soft landing for jumping off swings at height  :P
We would also lie on the floor !!! of the roundabout which was pushed at great speed & had to try & retrieve a strategically placed lollypop stick  ;D

Could you imagine kids of today having the same fun..................... ???

Oh, there was another park directly across the railway (over the bridge) which also had a piler.

Does anyone remember the Sweetie Factory (Rowentrees I think) next to the railway (off Fues Rd)? We used to clamber down the bridge to the railway line to get sweets which were thrown out.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
My granny was Maria Duncan and she lived at 3b Hunter Terrace until she died in 1979 aged 78.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 September 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

That name is unknown to me. I moved in 1974 having lived there since 1962.

The people I recall there (bottom left)? with kitchen facing playpark was Elliot but my memory is blurred as to whether they were there after I left or not?

Can you recall when your gran moved there?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"