Author Topic: Dunne/Dunn family in Kilcotton  (Read 6156 times)

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunne/Dunn family in Kilcotton
« on: Tuesday 03 July 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother, Anne Dunne (possibly Dunn) was born in Kilcotton in, according to census/death records, 1821. This date is perhaps somewhat flexible though as she married my great great grandfather, Michael John Purcill in Aghaboe parish on 27th November 1834.

One of the witnesses at their wedding was a William Dunne (Anne's father or brother?) and in the 1826 Tithe Applotments there is a Thomas Dunne (again, could be her father). Aside from the Dunne family who lived in Kilcotton in the latter half of the 1800s and whom I hope one day to make a connection with, William and Thomas are the only Dunnes I have been able to trace as being there at the same time as my great great grandmother. There are quite a number of Dunnes on the rootsireland website that may be listed as from Kilcotton but as I'm sure everyone knows going through them is a slow and expensive process so I thought I would ask if anyone had already found any information on Dunnes in Kilcotton on their family history travels! In fact, I would be grateful for any information about Kilcotton/Aghaboe villages at all from the first half of the 1800s!

With very many thanks,
Sarah

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dunne/Dunn family in Kilcotton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Kilcotton is a townland rather than a village, and consists of about 380 acres. It's is located in the civil parish of Aghaboe, which is also the name of the RC parish for the area.

See : Irish Land Divisions

There are some details on the civil parish of Aghaboe available in Samuel Lewis' Topographical Directory of 1837 - see : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Shane, that was so kind of you and it is really appreciated! 

Sarah

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
The Dunne Family still live and farm  in Kilcotton today ,infact  one of them has just driven passed my house as i am typing this , i do not no much about their family history, so you would have to make contact with them to find out about the family history since your ancestor left . they are a well known family in the area involved in agricultural contracting . Kilcotton is now in the parish of Borris in Ossory having being split from Aghaboe in the mid 1850's

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
The Dunne Family still live and farm  in Kilcotton today ,infact  one of them has just driven passed my house as i am typing this , i do not no much about their family history, so you would have to make contact with them to find out about the family history since your ancestor left . they are a well known family in the area involved in agricultural contracting . Kilcotton is now in the parish of Borris in Ossory having being split from Aghaboe in the mid 1850's

I'm sorry you didn't tell me your name so I can't address you properly!
I can't tell you how delighted I am to know there are still Dunnes in Kilcotton.  Over the years I've tried so hard to find Dunnes that were nearby but no matter what I've done I've always drawn a blank which has made me feel so frustrated and sad.  Even now, when you've told me they're there and in business I can't seem to find them.  Is it possible for you to tell me if they're using a business name rather than their own??
It must be the 1940's since any member of the family over here in the UK went over to Ireland to visit and they're all gone now so I have no one I could ask.  All the family that is left, apart from my particular bit, seems totally disinterested.

My researches and, again, I've tried for many years with this, leave me with only the 1911 census and the marriage of my great, great grandparents on the 27th November 1834, my great, great grandmother being Anne Dunne, born in Kilcotton and one of the witnesses being William Dunne who was obviously a relative. Certainly, he was important to her as she called her first son after him.  I believe Anne's father to have been Thomas Dunne but that, as yet, is uncertain.  To find at least some of my Irish roots would be amazing but I'm beginning to doubt I ever will!!

Once again, thank you so much for your interest and help.
All good wishes,
Sarah

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder - please use the Personal Message system to exchange details of any living people.

Leinster Moderator

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TerringtonLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder - please use the Personal Message system to exchange details of any living people.

Leinster Moderator

Thanks so much for that! Wouldn't dream of doing anything else.  :)

Sarah

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Sarah the Dunne Agri contracting business and farm is run by Brian Dunne and with the help of his brothers ,Brian's father who died in 2007 aged 87 was also named  William Dunne  but was known as Bill Dunne to his friends. The Dunnes in Kilcotton would have been Tenant farmers on the Alley estate until  around 1900 or 1910, when the estates were  broken up following the Land War , i can't say exactly but sometime in the early 1900's they became the owners of the farm they had been renting for many many years . The Dunne family Grave is in Knockaroo Church  Cemetery the head stone is relatively new the earliest date on it is around 1960 and the last is William Dunne in 2007 , beside is the grave of the Dunnes of Knockaroo who as far as i know are related to the Dunnes of Kilcotton  . Knockaroo Church is less than a mile from Kilcotton
hope this helps James

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
The Dunne Business is not a large scale business and dosen't have a name but is well known in the parish of Borris in Ossory