Author Topic: Charles MILLS - d 27 Feb 1940  (Read 5179 times)

Offline anro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles MILLS - d 27 Feb 1940
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted
I am descended from Charles Frederick Mills, b.1884 and the eldest of the children of Charles and Eliza Mills.
Charles Mills b.1853 Donaghmore County Tyrone was the son of Charles Mills b.1811 and Margaret McLean. (Margarets parents were Alexander McLean and  Sarah McIvor)
Charles Mills b.1811 was the son of John Mills and Margaret Robinson who married March 30th 1804 in St Michaels Church Castlecaulfield Tyrone. The family lived at Garvagh.John and Margaret had 5 children who were baptized at St Michaels Church Castlecaulfield.

Charles b.1811 and Margaret Mclean  were married in 1837-we believe also in Castlecaulfield and not Scotland as is noted on Charles' death certificate.
Charles and Margaret had 9 children.
Sarah Ann b.Ca 1838 m James splatt in1863 in Inverleigh Victoria and died 1909 Caulfield
Richard b.ca 1841 said to have remained in Ireland but a Richard MIlls was witness at the buriel of Charles Mills in 1878.
James b.1844 m.Eliza Archer and was a publican in Allandale Victoria d.1909
Eliza Jane b.ca 1846 m.1868 Peter Hunter and in 1914 Henry Starkey Bowerman. Eliza died 1919 in Sebastopol Victoria
Margaret b.ca 1848 m.William Lavery ,lived in Christchurch NZ and died 1888
Maria b.1850 nothing more know about her
Charles b. 1853. m.Eliza Worland in Shelford Victoria d.1940 Elsternwick
Isabella b.1856 n.1. George Daniels and 2 Alex Kilpatrick
Emily b.1859 m.Alex Mitchell
Will take a break here and be back soon

Offline anro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 03:45 BST (UK) »
Charles and Margaret arrived in Australia in 1868 aboard the ship "Conflict" along with their 3 youngest children Charles 12 Isabella 10 and Emily 7. Charles occupation was given as Agricultural Labourer. They arrived in Melbourne
Charles brother James had come out to Australia two years previously and was a publican in Allandale as mentioned earlier.
It appears that some of the elder daughters came to Austalia even before that as Sarah Ann b.1838 was married in 1863 to James Splatt in Inverliegh victoria. Three Mills girls with the appropriate names arrived on the Atalanta (I think in 1862) I have just misplaced that informaton.
There have been numerous publications "Profiles of our past" which contain a lot of the Mills family obituaries and weddings from the Pyramid Hill Advertiser. If you are able to join a genealogical library they should have those publications available.

Also James Worland Mills is listed in the Who's Who Directories- not sure of the date but should be after 1958 as he was Chief Inspector of Schools from that date. I have that information if you would like it. I also have the obituary notice for James Worland Mills.

Do you have any of the Worland Family information? Eliza
Worlands parents were Frederick Worland b.1830 Harstohn Cambridgeshire and Elizabeth Ivy Mansfeild.b.1829 Histon Cambridgeshire. They came to Australia in 1854 aboard the "Mariah Hay" to Geelong., with their two eldest daughters Ann Rebecca 2  and Ellizabeth 1. Frederick and Elizabeth had another 9 children after settling in Australia.
Fredericks parents were John Worland and Rebecca Bangle who married 15th october 1810
Elizabeth Mansfield parents were William Mansfield and Ann Smith

There is a headstone in Harton Churchyard to John Worland and wife Rebecca. I have a photo of it which I took when over in England about 11 years ago.. There is also a headstone for Frederick and Elizabeth Worland in Inverliegh cemetary.
Pyramid Hill cemetary has many of the Mills family buried there, incluidn Charles and Margaret
there is also a headstone for them.
I will have to stop here as I must go to work.
Anne

Offline anro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 03:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should proof read more carefully before posting - the birthplace fro Frederick Worland should read Harston not Harton or Harstohn as I have accidently printed!

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Anne.

I will send you a PM (see the little scroll under your name). With our details. Y's only son is my Ex husband but we are still good friends.

I would love to know more about the Worlands as I think Ex might be related to one of his mates a Worland from Winchelsea.

Anyway more in the PM - enjoy work - I start work in about 3 hours.

Cheers Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline possum b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 21:42 GMT (UK) »
hi guy's, lm wrking on same link right now

lm a direct family member

can you come find me on fb, so we can skype :)
https://www.facebook.com/possum.burville
cheers
Sue