Author Topic: Alexander Pentland, Spirit Merchant, Portadown  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Evelynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Pentland, Spirit Merchant, Portadown
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for information I just said it was weird to read something so personal on a forum I don't object so won't get it deleted I can see why the law has changed I thought that there might have been a closer connection to my family

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 July 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that the law regarding posting such details has actually changed. If it has (unlikely) then SO many sites that have such details would have to make adjustments  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Delighted to hear from a living family member Evelynne. It was my post which started this and yes I'm a Pentland descendant which probably means we are very, very distantly related. I have been researching this line of my family for some years now and one of my particular interests is the Irish/Scottish connection. I'd be delighted to share any information I have on your line so if you are interested send me a private message and we'll see what can be done.

Regarding the comments on postings, I understand the situation is not at all complicated. Firstly, deceased persons have no privacy rights. Secondly, information in documents in the public arena which includes anything outside the usual closure periods, may be published but copies of original documents are subject to the usual copyright laws. Lastly, gravestones remain the property of the descendants of the person who owned the plot so only they could conceivably have any rights over them, a blanket ban would be unenforceable. Since the information is on display, regardless of where, it is public information which is why there has been no wholesale removal of posts. I hope that puts minds at rest.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification. 

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Richard Pentland m. Sarah Hamilton seems to be the parents of Alexander if he married Eva Malcomson in 1919 in Portadown.  Richard is in the 1901 census on line and born a few years before 1860.  He says he is of full age in 1887 in Portadown when he married and says his father is named Richard.  Richard should be in Griffiths, probably in Portadown, but I haven't looked  Father Richard must be born before 1835.  There is a Thomas Honneyford marriage of  Mary jane, a siblingto Alexander, I don't seem to have Portadown records, but I hope the other person can link easily to you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 July 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that the information posted in reply #11 does pertain to Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.

There was a case in N.I. a few years ago- https://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/ban-on-photographs-of-headstones-plan-1-7062995
However the issue was about a company wanting to survey the graveyard-
"Councillor McKenna was told by a council official that people could request to have a photo removed; it had been highlighted that is was a public cemetery and anyone could come in and take pictures. But Councillor McKenna reiterated that the issue was with the council granting permission for the pictures to be taken and published worldwide."

From looking at other articles from various countries it would seem that sites like Find A Grave, etc. are here to stay  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Evelynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 July 18 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Worldly wonder
Thank you so much for your lovely post What Pentland line are you that we may be distantly related I'm not sure how to email so I'll give you mine (*)
Thanks for contacting me and all the information

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Evelynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 July 18 03:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kat The information 're Richard Pentland is correct he lived well into his90s as I met him Also the Honeyfords Thanks as I didn't know where they fitted in but were mentioned again when I was a child
I was born to the only daughter of Alexander There were 3 sons He remarried but there were no children from that
I shall continue to research I had no idea the Pentlands were so numerous