Author Topic: BLUNT James Matthew b Indiana d Newtown NSW Australia  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLUNT James Matthew b Indiana d Newtown NSW Australia
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
James Blunt is still in Wabash in 1910 with mother and brothers John and Arthur.  So far,  no good match on the 1920 so the James b. April 1879 to John and Catherine  (on censuses previously listed on other thread) looks a good possible.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
And if 1879 is 'wrong', it would seem unlikely to be 1880, as NSW BDM online index has 'aged 39 years' and the newspaper cuttings confirm June 1919 as the sad deaths for the couple.   I would expect family were taking care of all the children.   :(

I wonder if our OP has researched Dora's older children to see if by chance there's a 'birthday' book with an entry for James Matthew BLUNT in it  :)  These books were very popular in NSW from circa 1875 until very recent times  :)

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
It's the only James on the US censuses b. around the right time in Indiana and with a father John born Wales.  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
This could be what some of the family tree entries have picked up on - Western Australia Passengers & Crew List shows a Mr James Blunt
Nationality - British  - Arriving May 1914 -  Albany
Country and state where passengers embarked was London   ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
I was repeating what some of the trees said  ;D

Some of the trees have him arriving Albany, NSW in 1914

The OP is looking for a birth date in Indiana to put on the son's headstone  - I have it as April 1879 from the 1900 census.

There is a WW2 draft for a James Blunt born 24 April 1879 Covington. Indiana  ??? (Person who will always know him is John Blunt - Covington - Indiana.)

The same birth date comes up on a WW1 Draft for a James Blunt  - Danville. Vermilion. Illinois  when he was living in a Hotel in Steubenville. Illinois (with a brother John in Covington. Indiana)

The WW1 Draft for John Blunt 16 Feb 1881 Indiana, residing Covington. Fountain names his brother Arthur as the person who will always know him.

The WW2 Draft for John Blunt 16 Feb 1881 Indiana also mention his brother Arthur.

The WW1 Draft for Arthur 26 March 1887 Indiana refers to his wife as next of kin.

The WW2 Draft for Arthur 26 March 1887 Indiana refers to Maggie Blunt (his wife)

There was a James Blunt born 1880 Indiana in Danville Ward 4, Vermilion, Illinois on the 1910 census but with parents born Pennsylvania, he looks like the guy on the WW1 draft  ???

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MKF9-M25

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline clx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 July 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
what a wonderful group you all are! I can't thank you enough for your interest in this. I thought, with my love of a challenge and research I could help my mother in a short time but have quickly realised how complex this all is.
I think I have probably confused thing a little as I mixed up facts from the death certificate, as was noted by majm. I have created three trees in ancestry.com using the different leads I have found for James Matthew Blunt as I was confusing myself!  

I have been investigating the Webber/Collins tree which has had quite a lot of research work completed by my mothers cousin.
I have found it so hard to get clear information I have been looking at connections that may have brought James to Australia. This has been a complicated method as I keep going off on tangents everywhere.

To make things clearer I have just transcribed the Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate (although I think it wasn't necessary!!) and I have attached them, but I can see that this may not be necessary either as you all seem to have great skills in finding the source of things.

Thanks  :-*
Cheryl

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 July 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
Fingers cossed the draft is WWI and NOT WWII for James born 24 April 1879...

Cheers JM   PS  WHat date for that draft please as it could explain why he came to NSW where all enlistments were volunteeers ... NO Conscription. 

The OP is looking for a birth date in Indiana to put on the son's headstone  - I have it as April 1879 from the 1900 census.

There is a WW2 draft for a James Blunt born 24 April 1879 Covington. Indiana  ??? (Person who will always know him is John Blunt - Covington - Indiana.)

The same birth date comes up on a WW1 Draft for a James Blunt when he was living in a Hotel in Steubenville. Illinois (with a brother John in Covington. Indiana)

The WW1 Draft for John Blunt 16 Feb 1881 Indiana, residing Covington. Fountain names his brother Arthur as the person who will always know him.

The WW2 Draft for John Blunt 16 Feb 1881 Indiana also mention his brother Arthur.

The WW1 Draft for Arthur 26 March 1887 Indiana refers to his wife as next of kin.

The WW2 Draft for Arthur 26 March 1887 Indiana refers to Maggie Blunt (his wife)

There was a James Blunt born 1880 Indiana in Danville Ward 4, Vermilion, Illinois on the 1910 census but with parents born Pennsylvania, he could be a possible for the WW1 and " Drafts  ???

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MKF9-M25

Sandra
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline clx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 July 12 13:21 BST (UK) »

The same birth date comes up on a WW1 Draft for a James Blunt when he was living in a Hotel in Steubenville. Illinois (with a brother John in Covington. Indiana)

Sandra

Hi Sandra,
these Draft cards are where I began to doubt this was the right James.

The description on WW1 Draft card as medium height and build, b/gray(?) eyed, red hair is the same for James and his two brothers John and Arthur's cards. My grandfather was tall, slim, olive skin (remarkably clear and smooth at 94), brown eyed and brown hair.

My only thought was that maybe James' move to Australia was not "official" hence the WW1 and WW2 Drafts. Could it have been signed by one of his brothers?  I don't know how possible that would have been to do? I have one photo of Dora and have met two sons of his step brother and there is some similarity with my grandfather so I am thinking he either took after his mother Dora in all these features or James looked different to his brothers?. I am going to try to gather more images that may assist this line of thought.

Another big question was the name of James mother on his marriage certificate? Unless this was also to hide the truth. Also the statement on his death certificate that he had lived in Australia about 20 years was presumably given by someone that knew him M Collins James' step daughter but hard to know if this was fact also. C Willcox and Elizabeth Willcox (witnesses on the marriage certificate later changed James son Les' name to Leslie Charles Saunders Willcox and either adopted or fostered him (we are still researching this). Seemingly a very strange thing to do but this was C Willcox's name and he had no children. Charles and Elizabeth Willcox raised all the children left orphaned by Dora and James deaths.

I found the missing family 1900 US Census recorded as Blount (I created another tree "Blount family" on ancestry to store this information).

I have been searching "Blunt" living in Sydney for the 20 years prior to James death to see if I can connect something  and possibly immigration information.

??? But persistent!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 July 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
As he died 1919 there cannot be a WWII draft for him.

The grieving informant on his dc had lost both her parents and her step father and may well have been ill herself with the Spanish flu or at least some of her younger siblings may have been ill with it.  She may have said 20 years OR 20 months or been confused.  Her efforts would be focused on her grief and not on answering questions.

I have many NSW off line resources that are not found at Ancestery including NSW Electoral rolls 1903 and 1913.  I will look tomorrow as it is 10:45 pm here.

Cheers JM  NSW Centric.