Author Topic: BLUNT James Matthew b Indiana d Newtown NSW Australia  (Read 9124 times)

Offline clx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLUNT James Matthew b Indiana d Newtown NSW Australia
« on: Wednesday 04 July 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
I am searching for James Matthew Blunt born Indiana @ 1880. The only information I have is from his marriage certificate.
This states James Matthew Blunt was born @1880 in Indiana USA, father John Thomas Blunt born Wales and mother was May/Mary Cunningham (no origin). James states he has been in Australia for about 20 years.  I have been unable to link a John Thomas Blunt with a May/Mary Cunningham anywhere. I have searched USA census for their names individually for 1880 as they may not have been married. James Matthew Blunt married Madolin Webber/Collins in 1917 in Newtown, NSW Sydney. They had one child, a son Leslie James Matthew Blunt in 6 April 1918 in Sydney and then both parents died in June 1919 of the Spanish Flu.
I have been helping my mother on her desperate search but have not been able to find any immigration or shipping information for either John or James. We were hoping to find more information on this prior to my grandfather Les' passing but unfortunately he died 2 weeks ago. We would like to have some answers as we wish to include his biological parents names on his headstone as they were buried in unmarked graves. We have the birth date for Les' mother but would like this for James as well.   ???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS I have also posted this on "Wales" lookup for John Thomas Blunt

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLUNT James Matthew b Indiana d Newtown NSW Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 12 09:07 BST (UK) »
Link to Welsh thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,605178.0.html

I've found an outside possible but not with a Mary Cunningham  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
I am searching for James Matthew Blunt born Indiana @ 1880. The only information I have is from his marriage certificate.
This states James Matthew Blunt was born @1880 in Indiana USA, father John Thomas Blunt born Wales and mother was May/Mary Cunningham (no origin). James states he has been in Australia for about 20 years.  I have been unable to link a John Thomas Blunt with a May/Mary Cunningham anywhere. I have searched USA census for their names individually for 1880 as they may not have been married. James Matthew Blunt married Madolin Webber/Collins in 1917 in Newtown, NSW Sydney. They had one child, a son Leslie James Matthew Blunt in 6 April 1918 in Sydney and then both parents died in June 1919 of the Spanish Flu.
I have been helping my mother on her desperate search but have not been able to find any immigration or shipping information for either John or James. We were hoping to find more information on this prior to my grandfather Les' passing but unfortunately he died 2 weeks ago. We would like to have some answers as we wish to include his biological parents names on his headstone as they were buried in unmarked graves. We have the birth date for Les' mother but would like this for James as well.   ???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS I have also posted this on "Wales" lookup for John Thomas Blunt

Hi there,

May I suggest you post a request on the Australian Board for information about your James Matthew BLUNT.   There are lots of RChatters there who could well help.   

In the meantime, I notice you mention that you have the NSW BDM marriage cert.   I am not sure though that a NSW mc would show he had been in NSW for twenty years.  What document gives you that information please?  I will look through my NSW offline resources for you to see if I can help further. 

Info on NSW BDM marriage certs for 1917 should give you:
Surname and given names of the groom, his age at marriage, his place of birth, his occupation and status (bachelor, divorcee/petitioner or respondant, widower)
Surname and given names of the groom's father, his occupation and if known to be deceased, then that can sometimes be noted at that response
Surname and given names of the groom's mother, and ANY former names and if known to be deceased
The usual address for the groom
Surname and given names of the bride, her age at marriage, her place of birth, her occupation and status (spinster, divorcee/petitioner or respondant, widow)
And similar information re her parents, as well as her usual address

The date and location of the marriage ceremony, the officiating person conducting the ceremony and the rites used (usually the church and denomination, but civil registrars performed marriages).

The names of the witnesses (minimum of two officiating witnesses).

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
There is a family tree showing a John Thomas Blunt married to Catherine Patton -  31 Dec 1878 Vermillion. Indiana. Shows 3 children James Matthew Blunt 1878 - 1919
John F 1881 and Arthur 1887 - 1970.
Does list a May Cunningham but no further details  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra   :)

see my link:

Link to Welsh thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,605178.0.html

I've found an outside possible but not with a Mary Cunningham  :-\

Family in Wabash until 1900 so far. John dies 1908, Wabash, James to Australia circa 1914.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
James Blunt and Dora Blunt were both interred 14 June 1919 Rookwood Cemetery, Anglican Section, Grave No. 503, Area AN, Section H.
http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/

http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/contact/contacts/anglican-%26-general-cemetery-trusts/ 
Have you considered contacting the trust re checking their Burial Register for further information?   I note the funeral directors were Wood, Coffill & Co.  I think that firm could still exist.  http://www.funeralshq.com.au/business-profile/33450-wood-coffill-funerals.htm

Here are 2 newspaper cuttings:   http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15856964  SMH 14 June 1919.

I have not YET found James arrival to NSW.   I do know several CUNNINGHAM families, and the surname can be mismashed : CYNNINGHAME is one variation that is often overlooked.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Some of the trees have him arriving Albany, NSW in 1914

Born April 1879,  Indiana on the 1900 US census - see links to other thread,  already posted

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:51 BST (UK) »
Albany is not in NSW, it is several thousand miles away in Western Australia.  It was the usual first port of call for ships coming across the Indian Ocean  ;D  ;D

Not to worry, I will keep looking  ;D

Free to search digitised newspapers link  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Free to search mariners link http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
When you contact Rookwood Anglican, ask them if you are permitted to place markers on the unmarked graves. 

Cheers,  JM