Author Topic: Rev Thomas Alexander Fletcher  (Read 7896 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Thomas Alexander Fletcher
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 12 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Link to St Andrews church dundee

http://photopolis.dundeecity.gov.uk/wc1446.htm

In the Cowgate  CofS

Link to the ministers from the build of the church to present date

http://www.ninetradesofdundee.co.uk/files/Nine%20Trades/Nine%20Trades%20Property/Property/Trades%20Kirk/James%20Cant%20Church%20History.pdf

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 July 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Still a blank with Thomas Alexander Fletcher.  The family has a photo of the monument for William Morris Bresslin Fletcher, but all anyone seems to know that it is in Scotland.  We don't know who erected it & how the family come by the photo.

I have checked the details from William's marriage certificate, but neither William's or Sarah's parents are listed.  It is the same for the deaths.

I think I may have tracked down when William arrived in Tasmania  as there is a William Fletcher who arrived from London aboard the 'Sydney' on 28 Jan 1842 who was aged 20 years.  As William was supposed to be born 1822 this would seem to be him. 

I have been told that the information passed down through the family is that Thomas was at a protestant church - Presbyterian??  Looking at St Andrews Church (Church of Scotland) it is not far from the Catholic Church.  I'd venture to guess at this stage that Thomas was not the senior minister & is therefore not listed along with all the senior ministers. He may well have lived in South Tay st & this is just a coincidence that it is the same street as the Catholic church.

Thomas must have had other children as the death notices for William give him to be the youngest son of Thomas.  William, his son William & his grandson Stanley all have Bresslin in their names & so you may think that this may come from Thomas' wife's side of the family.  As yet I can't find anything to confirm this or to find the name of Thomas' wife.

So therre is still a way to go with this part of the family.

Vicki
Blaxell (from Devon, Eng), Gledhill (from Eng), Grace (from Wiltshire Eng), Hoy (from County Antrim, Nthn Ireland),  Simon (from Nassau, Germany), Wilson (from Cambidge, Eng), Brown (from Oakham, Eng & later Scone, NSW), Newling (from Cambridgeshire, Eng & then Scone, NSW), Ball & Eatons from Worcestershire, Eng), Burris (from Wiltshire, ENg)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 July 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
I had a family of Irish origin by the name of Bryceland living in Lanarkshire but they came up in different records variously as Bryclane, Bressland and Bresslin.  If you haven't already done so, it might be worth considering different spelling options.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 July 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
The inscription is not included in the book of Angus Monumental Inscriptions covering Dundee and Broughty Ferry.

There is no death of a W* Fletcher, age range 52 to 56, date range 1874 to 1878, in Scotland's People. Nor is there a death of a Frederick Fletcher 1879 to 1883.

There is no marriage of a William F* Fletcher to an Elizabeth in the SP index.

There is no birth, baptism, marriage or death of a Fletcher with middle name Breslin or Bresslin in the SP index to the old parish registers, the statutory civil registers, or the Roman Catholic registers.

Putting 'Breslin Fletcher' or 'Bresslin Fletcher' into the 19th century British Newspapers database produces zero results. William Fletcher produces 7190 results and Thomas Fletcher produces 4790 results. Thomas Alexander Fletcher produces just one result, and the cited article mentions an Alexander Fletcher and a Thomas Russell.

FamilySearch has a marriage of William Frederick Bresslin Fletcher, aged 19, to Elizabeth Agness Kerslake in Tasmania in 1878 and the marriage of their son Headley Leopold Fletcher in Launceston, Tasmania in 1907. There is also at least one submitted tree with a marriage of William Morris Bresslin Fletcher to Sarah Stops in Tasmania in 1858, and the birth of six children to WFBF and EAK including Frederick William on 16 September 1880 in Tasmania.

Could you post the photo here so that we can have a look at it?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 July 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
To add to Forfarian's list of negative findings, there is no Rev Thomas Alexander Fletcher in the Fasti of the Church of Scotland. I also tried various newspapers, and specifically those for Dundee and Glasgow, and found no references to him, which is unusual as ministers generally do get mentioned in some context.

Dundee Post Office Directories available on the National Library of Scotland website, covering a fairly wide time period, do not seem to list Rev Fletcher in South Tay St, or as clergy.

I did stumble across a genealogy posting about a Thomas Alexander Fletcher in America, but dismissed it as unlikely. However, now I wonder if there might be somewhere called Scotland in the USA? The spelling "Glascow" on the monument inscription suggests to me it might be located outside the country of Scotland.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 July 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
This is probably a red herring but might be worth looking into given Br1gau's findings about the potential spellings of 'Bresslin' ...

SP Wills and Testaments
SC36/51/44
Fletcher, Michael, date of will, 11/12/1862
Cotton Waste Merchant in Glasgow, spouse of Roseann Breisland Fletcher

SC36/48/61
Fletcher, Roseann, date of will, 01/01/1869
Mrs, alias Briesland, residing at Apsley Place, Glasgow, widow of Michael Fletcher, Cotton Waste Merchant in Glasgow

SP CPR Marriages
13/04/1836   
Fletcher, Michael, Buyslan Roseanne, Glasgow St Andrews

Offline Andy_K

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 May 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
I have a daily bible reading book here that's been dedicated to the late Rev Alexander Fletcher D.D
from Finsbury chapel in London. It has an original memoire from him.
I have been trying to find his family so i can pass it on to them.
Could this be the same person?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 May 22 17:32 BST (UK) »
According to https://www.ecclegen.com/general-index-f/#Fleming,%20Thomas the Rev Alexander Fletcher (1787-1860) was a minister of the United Presbyterian Church.

Fletcher, Alexander
Life and Ministry: 1807, Bridge of Teith (Burgher), Small, History, Vol.2, p.678; Call, Small, History, Vol.2, p.371; Call, Small, History, Vol.1, p.368
Family: Small, History, Vol.2, p.219; London, Small, History, Vol.1, p.607
Publications – about him: Dictionary of National Biography (1885-1900), Vol.19, George Clement Boase, Fletcher, Alexander; Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, G. C. Boase, revised by I. T. Foster, Fletcher, Alexander (1787–1860), minister of the United Presbyterian church

If you go to the link you should be able to view all the assorted items that mention the Rev Alexander Fletcher.

https://archive.org/details/historyofpresbyt01smaluoft/page/607/mode/1up?view=theater says that Rev Alexander Fletcher, the celebrated minister of Finsbury Chapel in London, was the son of Rev William Fletcher, Bridge of Teith.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.