Author Topic: Missing Kinsey !  (Read 6863 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Kinsey !
« on: Thursday 05 July 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This topic follows on from my Frances Elizabeth Kinsey thread. Frances marriage certificate does not contain a father's name,  so she was obviously illegitimate.
After her marriage to Robert Walker she gave the middle name of 'Hamar' to her son, John.

This led me to guess that this could possibly give me a lead to her mother or father.

A Jane Kinsey married a Abraham Hamar within the Knighton regisration district during the December quarter of 1877.
They can be found in Clun, Shropshire in 1881. With them is a 'Fanny' Hamar, aged 7 years. This must be Frances Elizabeth Kinsey who had been born during the March quarter of 1874 (Knighton RD).
They also had a daughter, Sarah, born around 1877 and  Jane's nephew, John Kinsey (probably Stephen John), who was less than a year old.
On this census, Jane states that she was born in Radnorshire, Wales around 1857. (Jane Selina Kinsey birth registered March quarter 1857 - Knighton RD)

I cannot trace the family at all in 1891 - any help would be appreciated, but Abraham died during the June quarter of 1900 (Clun RD).
The 1901 census finds Jane in Lydbury, Shropshire. With her are daughters, Mary, born around 1890 in Lydbury, and Mabel, born around 1895 in Lydbury. Her nephew, Stephen John Kinsey, now aged 21 years, is still with her. On this census Jane states that she was born in  Montgomeryshire, but I'm certain she was born in Radnorshire.
Jane S Hamar died during the June quarter of 1934 (Clun), so where is she in 1911?

Who were her parents? Can anybody trace her in 1861 and 1871, prior to her marriage, and in 1891 and 1911, after her marriage.

Thanks
Sue Roberts

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Kinsey !
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
and in 1891 and 1911,

Sorry - Rootschat do not allow 1911 lookups - as per
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355486.0.html

The free 1911 index has an entry for Jane Hamar b 1858 living in Clun - have you viewed that entry  http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Do you have a copy of the 1877 marriage cert?  Does it show a fathers name/occupation for Jane?

Re: 1891 entry - you will find them in Shropshire under Hamar but Abraham is shown as b 1861 and Jane 1863 - no birthplaces shown

Here's the 1891 reference  RG12 Piece 2088 Folio 9 Page 11

And here's Frances in 1891  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/W91T-HZM

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks!!

Found Jane in 1911, and also spotted the family in 1891 - their ages completely threw me. That and the fact that there seems to be children appearing and disappearing and changing surname!!
Very confusing!

Sue

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the 1877 marriage cert?  Does it show a fathers name/occupation for Jane?

The 1861 has more than one possibility so you would need to establish her fathers name

Jane Kensey (Kinsey) 4 b Bettws Radnor - parents Evan & Elizabeth

Jane Kinsey 1855 Montgomeryshire - parents Evan & Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cynsye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
Fanny L Kinsey niece to Stephan Kinsey on the 1881 census is likely you young lady, on the original the L looks like it has been changed to an E as there is an extra line through the L, which is not on the Lewis or Lloyd entries below.
this should give you a clue to the mother, bit there are plenty to go at. The Hamer name may come from the fathers side and have nothing to do with the Kinsey side.

Cynsye
Kinsey One Name Study
now on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/groups/81724153615/