Author Topic: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland  (Read 11833 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 May 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
There is a death for Rebecca Morrow, widow of John Morrow whose parents were Thomas Elder and Hannah Hunter in Richmond, BC on 9 Mar 1972.

I'm a little confused by where this Rebecca fits. You said you found a death for the Rebecca who was the daughter of John and Annie and she was 10 years older than the Rebecca who married John Morrow.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention that I think last night I came across that Rebecca Elder going to Canada but she was born c1886.

Parents of this Rebecca Elder were likely Thomas Elder & Hannah Hunter.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
However I did find on familysearch a tree of Martha Jane Elder, that gave details of a Samuel Elder who died in Vancouver 1946 and a John Henry Elder who died in 1968 in Vancouver.

According to the death registation for Samuel Elder who died 7 Aug 1946, his parents were Thomas Elder and Sarah Perry.

The John Henry Elder who died in Vancouver on  16 Oct 1968 was the son of Thomas Elder and Hannah Hunter.

How are these people connected to the family you are looking for? Are you looking for the children of John Elder and Anna Rodden or any Elder who may be connected to them? Do you think all of John and Anna's children emigrated or just some?

By the way, when you refer to the 1901 and 1911 census it is helpful if you also say what country's census. If you don't many will assume you are referring to the Canada census since this is the Canada forum.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 May 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Valeriec and Jacquie, thank you for your information.

I've looked up the family on Familysearch and my John Elder and Anna Rodden are on it! So there has to be a connection somewhere....
John and Anna's daughter Martha Jane was widowed quite young and she brought up their 4 children on her own..
John Campbell born 19.7.1887 Ireland and died 18.6.1965 in Vancouver
I'm assuming her other 3 children left for Canada as well as Martha died in Toronto in 1921 and her sister Rebecca Elder died in 1937 in Toronto. The family were on the Ireland Census in 1911 Belfast, so they must have left after that.....
Again, because of the same names running through these families, I definately think there is a connection..

Once again I appreciate all your help,
Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
A couple of notes and observations

I stressed that Ruby not Rebecca was used on the marriage registration to make it easier to search for the information as the original registrations can be viewed as well as transcriptions. Soemtimes, we gain more information that way.

I think you may be dealing with two siblings, John b. about 1841 and Thomas born about 1849. They seem to both originate in the Limavaddy area and have reused the same forenames over and over again. That is a common naming practice in both Ireland and Scotland.

If you look at deaths at Family Search, you will note that the name Thomas Elder is prevalent in the early 1800's so that could also be the name of the father of John and Thomas. Totally speculation but something to keep in mind when looking for information.

Looking at the family of Thomas Elder and Hannah Hunter/Sarah Perry

1901 Census of Ireland
Londonderry
Limavaddy
61 Main St.
Thomas Elder age 52, widower
sons William age 28, Joseph age 24, Thomas P age 24, Fredrick G P age 12, Samuel age 11.
Would appear to have large gap between Thomas and Fredrick so could be children from different mothers.
70 Irish Green St.
John H. Elder, age 13, brother in law, in the household of Robert Kerr
6 Kennaught
Rebecca Elder, age 16, sister in law, in the household of Samuel Wark.
I think this is the Rebecca/Ruby who married John Morrow
Irish Green St.
John Morrow, age 21

1901 Census of Ireland
Antrim
St. Georges Ward, Belfast
161 Donegall Road
John Elder, head of family, age 60, widower
Lizzie Elder, daughter, age 26
Rebecca Elder, daughter, age 33
Matha Campbell, daughter, age 36, widow
John Campbell, grandson, age 13
George Campbell, grandson, age 11
Robert Campbell, grandson, age 8
Wilhelmina, granddaughter, age 5
1911 census, same address has Martha, George, Robert, Wilhelmina, Rebecca Elder. I wasn't able to find John in the census so it doeslook like he moved on between 1901 and 1911. He would be born roughly 1888/89 so may have enlisted in the First World War. You can check for Attestation Papers for Canadian soldiers at
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com
Census of Canada
British Columbia/Vancouver
Morrow, John, b. Oct 1879, imm 1906, carpenter
Rubbia, b. Jul 1876, imm. 1907
The original looks like born in 1886 which would make her 25 which is in line with her marriage registration.
Margret, daughter, b. Aug 1908
Johns, son, b. Feb 1910
both were born in BC, Johns on the original looks like John S.
Elder, John, brother, b. Mar 1889, imm 1907, machinist
Elder, Fladrean ?, brother, b. Jul 1890, imm 1907
Elder, Samuel, brother, b. Aug 1893, imm 1907
Fladrean on the original could be a version of Fredrick or Robert but Rebecca appears to have a brother Fredrick that would have been born around 1890

marriage
Samuel Elder, June 1926, Vancouver
Mabel Wesley
Samuel lists his parents as Thomas Elder and Hannah Hunter

On his death registration, his wife Mabel is the informant and lists his parents as Thomas Elder and Sarah Perry.

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 May 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Once again many thanks!
I think you're right about John and Thomas being brothers.....John is my husbands Great grandfather and I've been stuck on it for a bit, so it's great to get moving again.
The information you put up about the census in Ireland....my Anna Roddens father was a blacksmith in Irish Green Street, so I definately think they are all connected and living in and around that area.
How exciting, this is what is so great about Rootschat, people are very generous with their time and expertise!

Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 May 13 01:59 BST (UK) »
I've looked up the family on Familysearch and my John Elder and Anna Rodden are on it! So there has to be a connection somewhere....

If you are referring to family trees posted at Family Search that isn't necessarily true. There are a lot of trees on the web that have mistakes or are flat out wrong. There are too many unsourced trees being used as source information by others as well. Biggest mistake I ever made was accepting information from a tree without verifying it. I also have sent out countless messages and emails to others politely asking them to correct their trees (I always provide proof when I do that) when I see mistakes.

Jacquie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 May 13 03:14 BST (UK) »
Death of Martha Campbell d/o John Elder and Annie Rodden, born Derry, d. March 5, 1921 at Toronto, Ontario age 52.  Son Robert Campbell was informant

Elizabeth Elder, 32, presbyterian of 385 Dupont St. Toronto, d/o John Elder and Annie Rodden married 05 July 1910 at Toronto, Ontario to John Hutchinson, 30, carpenter s/o James Hutchinson and Jemima Rennie.  This couple is on the 1911 Canadian census in Toronto and Elizabeth shows a birth of Mar 1879 and an immigration year of 1910.

Death of Rebecca Elder of 1155 King St. W. Toronto, Ontario.  She was single, b. April 8, 1872 Ireland and death at age 65.  D. July 31, 1937 at Toronto.  She had been employed as a matron at the Mercer Reformatory.  d/o of John Elder and Annie Rodden.  Informant was Mr. J. Hutchinson, brother-in-law of 652 Ossington Ave., Toronto.  Burial at Prospect Cemetery (Toronto).

It seems that your Elders had a strong tie to Toronto.  The pay site (modestly priced) of the archived Toronto Star newspaper - Pages of the Past - might be of value to you.