Author Topic: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland  (Read 11836 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 May 13 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thee is a death Apr-Jun 1879 Belfast for a 5 year old Hessy Elder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 May 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
Thee is a death Apr-Jun 1879 Belfast for a 5 year old Hessy Elder

Belfast City Cemetery- Hesse Elder, age 5, 71 Hilland St., died 13 Apr.1879 (buried in Public Ground so no way to identify relatives).
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx

Hessy Elder, born 11 Apr.1874 Coleraine registration district (page 596 in register)- parents John Elder & Annie Rodden
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5KQ-J8V

The family were in Belfast in 1879- John Elder born 28 May 1879 Belfast- parents John Elder & Annie Rodden
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJ7-FKM
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 May 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
A bit more information to sort out the family.

Belfast City Cemetery (same plot)-
Mrs Annie Elder, 77 Hilland St., age 38, died 23 May 1881
Miss Mary Elder, 43 Blythe St., age 14, died 19 Mar.1893
Robert Elder, 40 Blythe St., age 24, died 11 Feb.1896
John Elder, 161 Donegall Rd., age 62, died 29 Mar.1903

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 May 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has moved my research on, again everyone is so generous with their time and expertise......
Cosmac your information has really thrown light on just how many of John Elders children and g/children left Ireland.
I'll take your advice re newspaper subscription....
Thank you,
Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 May 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
The children of John Elder & Annie Rodden seem to all be accounted for now- except for John- although they seem to have a nasty habit of being terribly inconsitent with their ages  :-\

Martha Jane married Campbell & died in Toronto
Rebecca died in Toronto
Anna who married Thomas Rodgers, my husbands grandfather in 1893
Lizzie/Elizabeth went to Canada & married Hutchinson
John
Mary died Belfast
Robert died Belfast
Hessy died Belfast

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 May 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey!
John died in 1879 and is buried in public ground, he was living in Hilland Street at the time.
This research explains so much for my husband...

Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty
My Elder family is from Northern Ireland as well. The names of John, Thomas, Annie, Martha, and Robert, come up on a regular basis.
My great-great grandparents were John Elder and Margaret Stewart. They were married in 1842 in Ballymena, Antrim. The children I have found so far are John, Robert, Joseph, Isaac ,Thomas and Annie. (Thomas was my great-grandfather).
Annie married Henry Smyth, in 1882, and one of the witnesses was a "Martha Elder". I believe Martha to be Annie's sister, but have never found any proof of this so far. (Therefore, I don't list her as one of John and Margaret's children).

Wheww - now to get to my point...
I know they travelled to Scotland, where some of my family settled, as well as the U.S., Canada, and Australia. I also believe that they travelled within Northern Ireland. I have long had the belief, that quite a few of the Elder's in Northern Ireland are related, as they seem to use the same names over and over. Also, the farm where my family lived in the Ballymena area, was given the name of Burnfoot. I have come across other Elder's, whose family came from "Burnfoot, Donegal". I keep in touch with them, just in case we can make a connection.

I am going through information that I have gathered over the years, to see if I can find anything that might connect to you. I know that I have seen the names of John Elder and Annie Rodden on many of my searches. I will check to see if I have anything that may help you.

I do know that I have a spare certificate from Milton, Glasgow, that shows a 1902 birth of a Thomas Elder whose parents were William White Roden Elder, and Margaret Beveridge McTaggart. (I have no idea if they could be related to you, but wanted to let you know that if you want a copy, just send me a "personal message", with your email and I will forward that on to you.

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention this,
If you are related to the above William Roden Elder and Margaret McTaggart, I know they were married in Anderston, Glasgow, on July 14th, 1899. Unfortunately, I do not have that certificate. (Their marriage is stated on the birth of their son).
I also know that Margaret died in Milton, Glasgow, in 1963 at the age of 82.
William White Roden Elder died in Milton, Glasgow, in 1957 at the age of 78.
(Again, I don't have these certificates, but did a quick search of ScotlandsPeople)

It is true about not trusting everything on Ancestry, as someone used a photograph of my great grandmother, and said it was my great great grandmother. I know differently, as I have the original photo with my uncle standing beside her. (lol) With that being said, you can still find quite a bit of information that will be useful, even if someone else got it wrong. One person had my grandfather's aunt and uncle as being married in Ireland, when they were actually married in Glasgow, (again I have the certificate). They also had the parents of the wife (my grandfather's aunt) completely wrong. It took showing them the marriage certificate, and their passenger list, along with her brother's passenger list before they realized that they were wrong.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice
Thank you so much for contacting me! I was at the Generals Record Office in Belfast on Monday, if only I had heard from you before then I could have done some research for you!
Part of the problem is that there are so many Johns, Annie's etc and so many Elders!
I know that the father of my John Elder is also John and according to the marriage cert, John is a servant and on 1901 census he was a coachman, his father was a labourer.
So far I haven't been able to find my Johns birth etc.,
If I can look up any information for you, please let me know.

Betty