Author Topic: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland  (Read 11882 times)

Offline Plumcrazyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elder family originally from Londonderry, ireland
« Reply #36 on: Monday 15 May 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

"Louis Warke"
This may be your "Louis Warke"
Joseph Lewis Warke (wife Greta)
"The Warke family immigrated to Canada in 1948 landing on Pier 21 in Halifax. They then went to Inverness Quebec, then to Manitoba ,then to Alberta. They actually had 6 children. 4 came over from Ireland with them (Gibson, Lewis, Alberta, Brenda) and 2 were born in Canada Ronald and Trevor. Joseph Lewis Warke and Greta (Mayretta was her full name) were in the ministry. He came as a Presbyterian missionary and then became a Baptist minister."
I found this here.  http://elder-mcgilligan.com/elder/thomas-elder-1896/
Lewis Warke would have been my dads cousin and my second cousin.
John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elderwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 22 May 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi The William White Roden Elder and  Margaret McTaggart were my grandparents on my Fathers side His name was David Elder and he was born in Anderston, Glasgow. I was called Eliza McLaren Elder after my Aunt Eliza McLaren and one of my sisters is called Margaret Beveridge Elder after my grandmother. My brother is called David McTaggart Elder. I also know that there was Aunt May and Martha, Uncle Robert, I remember John McLaren too. I had a cousin Rebecca probably a few names that I could also mention. So nice to read this post. I was looking into our family tree quite a few years ago and never followed it very far must take it up again. Thanks

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 04:30 BST (UK) »
Write another post, and then message me. I have not found a connection with our families as of yet, but there still could be.

I do have something that I ccan share with you.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Elderwilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
HI Janice,
Thanks for your reply not sure how to message you as I am new to this Perhaps you could explain how to do that.

Regards Liz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
HI Janice,
Thanks for your reply not sure how to message you as I am new to this Perhaps you could explain how to do that.

Regards Liz

This will explain how to use it:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Heatbetr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 08 March 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully a helpful update. My father Robert Kerr Warke born 21/10/1922 was the last child born to Samuel Wark e and Sarah Elder. They left Limavady to Live in Belfast where dad was born. He died in Bournemouth Jan 2012. Lewis Wark e emigrated to Canada where he was a minister. Edmonton I believe. His surviving children still live in Canada. Don't know a lot about the Elders however do have a photo of Sarah (Eld er) Wark e my grandmothe r.

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 08 March 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you so much for this information, I will definitely look into this and get back to you.
The Elders are my husbands family, funnily enough, my maiden name is Kerr!

Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Peter Carson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 July 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

My grandad was also called William White Roden Elder, but he was born in 1914 and his father was Robert Elder. On is birth certificate is shows his mother as a Elizabeth Hawley and that she was married to a Robert Rogan(Regan) but had not lived with him for 13 years and he was not the father. There are only 2 other pieces of information that I have found a census from 1911 of Robert and Elizabeth together and sadly the death of Elizabeth's daughter in 1903 at age 2 months.

Hoping someone could help, I wonder if there is a link as the name isn't a common one.

Thanks
Peter