Author Topic: 1910 census look up please  (Read 1123 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1910 census look up please
« on: Thursday 05 July 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace Edward Rayner (born 1848- Luddenham Kent) in the 1910 US census.  There are records of him landing at New York on 27th May 1907 where he states on the record that he is going to live with his son-in-law H. Partiss of Waterville NJ.

His wife Elizabeth (born - Lynsted Kent 1848) is recorded as landing at New York in 1908, stating that she was going to live with her husband in Waterville NJ.

We have record of Elizabeth in both the 1920 & 1930 US census living with her daughter & son-in-law Herbert & Mary Partiss in Waterville NJ but there is no sign of Edward so I must assume that he possibly died sometime prior to 1920 or maybe 1910 but again I cannot find any record.

If anybody has got a better set of eyes than mine I would be grateful for an update.

GedB

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1910 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Herbert & Mary appear to be Waterville, New York, not New Jersey.  Elizabeth is listed as married in the 1920 & 1930 Census, so I'd be inclined to think that Edward was still alive then. 

Herbert, Mary, Elizabeth, and children were in Rochester in the 1925 census:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KS4L-R8Q

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
On www.fultonhistory.com, there is an obituary for Elizabeth that indicates she died 22 Jun. 1934 in Rochester.  It says that she was the widow of Edward.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Also on fultonhistory.com, there is an obit for Edward, who died in Jan. 1925.  It says he resided in Waterville since emigrating, didn't care to stay away from home for any length of time, and his daughter tried in vain to get him to move to Rochester. 

There is also a mention of probate proceedings regarding Edward's estate.  Lots of references on that site to the Partis family, if you wish to follow them further.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
This looks like Edward & Elizabeth on the 1910 Census:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M597-8KZ

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information it is most welcome, it will take me a while to go through it but when I do I will get back to you

GedB

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Shellyesq you are my current hero, the information was spot on, thank you

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile