Author Topic: Michael CUNNINGHAM (looking for info on)  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Pandora22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael CUNNINGHAM (looking for info on)
« on: Thursday 05 July 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I am new to the board.   :)

I was looking for information regarding my ancestor, Michael CUNNINGHAM from Bally Hague Parish, Calry, Sligo, Ireland, b. 1770, d. circa 1836. Married Nancy (last name unknown).  Brother is Bryan Cunningham (according to will of family member), sons Patrick (b. 1790 in Calry, Sligo, Ireland and d. Oct 15, 1831 by drowning in the Severn River in Northern Ontario, Canada) and John (b. 1910, m. Jane Work at Red River Settlement, Canada).

Any information patrilinially or matrilinially is appreciated. thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Shannon

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael CUNNINGHAM (looking for info on)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon and welcome aboard !

So, is it Michael & Nancy that you are researching ?

First you have been lucky to have gotten so far back.

As I'm sure you are aware Irish Civil Records only began in 1864 so for earlier records you will need to be looking for church records !

Do you know the religious denomination of your family at that time ?

Did Michael and Nancy stay in Ireland or emmigrate ?

Have you any names for their children ?

Have you any marriages for any of their children ...anything to try and track down Nancy's maiden name ?

Do you know what Michael's occupation was ?

If he was a farmer there are old Tithe Aplotment records which he may feature in !

Sorry for all the q's, but will help in any searches.

Tara

Offline Pandora22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara!  thanks for the welcome, and the quick response! I do have some more information on my ancestors...

Michael (could be spelled Michel...?) Cunningham married Nancy (unknown) in the townland of Carrickoneillan, Bally Hague Parish, Calry, Sligo, Ireland. He had a farm on the border with County Leitrim.  They had two sons that I am aware of, John (1810 to unknown) and Patrick (1790-1831) (My ancestor).  Patrick was the oldest, and he sailed to Canada (Ruperts Land) aboard the Robert Taylor in 1812 as a post master for the HBC.  Patrick drowned in the Severn River in N. Ontario, Canada, on October 15, 1831.  Nancy and Michael did not know about Patrick's death, so they sent John to Canada after him.  John stayed in Canada and married a lady named Jane work.

Apparently, according to family research, Patrick left a will in which he mentions an "Uncle Bryan", so Michael may have had a brother named Bryan.

I am unsure of the family's exact religious demonination at the time. I know that one of Michael's great grand children was baptised by a Methodist Minister, but I am unsure if that was by choice or if there were no other ministers around at the time.

My understanding is that Michael and Nancy both died in Ireland without seeing either of their chidren again (Michael's death date is approximate - he died after 1836, but I'm not sure when).  I am very interested in learning more about this line of my ancestors, as it is my primary partilinial line.  Thanks for any help you can give with this additional information!

Sincerely,

Shannon

Offline Pandora22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Some more info!  i forgot to read the rest of question again ha ha

Patrick married Nancy "Anne" Bruce (1794-1859) once he was here in Canada and they founded one of the largest prairie families in western Canada.  They had 6 children that I am aware of, John Patrick Daniel ( 1817-1870), Edward John (1819-1840), James (1822-1915), Mary (1825-1901), Nancy "Anne" (1827-1888), and Catherine (1832-1901).

I have no information on occupation for Michael or Nancy, other than they had a farm.  So maybe those farm records will be useful!  I hope the location of the farm helps too.

thanks for all the help Tara!  i appreciate it!  :)

Offline Pandora22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/c/cunningham_patrick.pdf

This is a copy of Patrick's employment record with the HBC - lists his parents, wife, service record, bother and uncle's names, and some other service details.  Maybe this will help as well?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 July 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
As Tara mentioned you done well to get back so far, and looks like you already have details going back before the start of the various parish records for the area - few rural RC parishes have records even before 1830.

Just to add a few details on the location mentioned - the townland of Carrickoneilleen consists of just under 200 acres and is in the civil parish of Calry, and Barony of Carbury. It's located about 9km (~5 ½ miles) east of Sligo town, and very close to the border with Co. Leitrim.

The area was covered by the RC Parish of St. John's based in Sligo town. I'm not sure where the 'Bally Hague' reference fits in...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pandora22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
@ Shanew;

Thank you for the info on the municipal divisions!  I am in Canada, and I beg forebearance with my ignorance of the municipal structures in Ireland.  Bally Hague Parish was written on Patrick Cunningham's HBC service record which I have linked earlier in this thread.  I honestly wasn't sure what it referred to, I was just including as much information as possible!  :)

@Tara, I have also identified that our family was Roman Catholic in Ireland, even though the denomination changed by necessity when they were in far west. Hopefully that helps as well.

Thank you for all your help and time so far!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
The only Ballyheige I can think of is the town and civil parish in Co. Kerry - so opposite end of Ireland.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon

There was a Michael Cunningham still farming in Carrickoneileen in 1857, plus a Francis, Peter, Patrick, William & James.

At this stage there's no way to tell how these people are related but it's a start I suppose !

cunningham griffiths valuation carrickoneileen

There were also some Cunninghams still in the area in 1901

cunningham carrickoneileen 1901

and 1911

cunningham carrickoneileen 1911

In 1827 Tithe applotments the area was spelt Carrickaneleen - the good news is that included in the Cunningham's of the area is a BRYAN Cunningham

1827 tithe applotments cunningham carrickaneleen

Hope this is of some use !

Tara