Author Topic: Death/Cemetery transcriptions for Ledwich/Ledwick in Jersey  (Read 2493 times)

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death/Cemetery transcriptions for Ledwich/Ledwick in Jersey
« on: Friday 06 July 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any death records or cemetery transcriptions for Jersey that mention Ledwich or Ledwick - probably in Almorah

Thanks

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death/Cemetery transcriptions for Ledwich/Ledwick in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are no Ledwich/Ledwick burials recorded for Almorah Cemetry.

However, there are a number for Mont a L'Abbe, St Helier. I have not yet had a chance to look at the actual details of the transcriptions but will do this next week.  Those that I have found are:

Ledwich:

Julia, ref 2416, 1922-1935
Margaret, ref 1730, 1906 -1921
Mary Ruth, ref 1074, 1935-1942
Maud, ref 1549, 1906-1921
William Cowen, ref 626, 1906-1921

Ledwick:

Philip, ref 276, 1881-188? (can't read my writing!)

As I said, I'll transcribe these next week.

Stewart

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Those names aren't immediately in my tree - so that gives me some more research to do!

Much appreciated.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Here are the burial details, I've used the ref. numbers as quoted in my last note and written "as is".

Ref: 1730
ML died 11th May 1914 aged 5 weeks. Buried 12th May in south part, south grave, 4ft 6ins. Rev. Leonard officiated, funeral directors, W Croad & Sons. Block E, plot 218, grave 51.

Ref: 1549
ML died 20th May 1913, aged 1 day. Buried 22nd May, south part, north grave. Funeral directors, W Croad & Sons. Block E, plot 218, grave 52.

The two above are probably related.

Ref: 626
WCL died 31st August 1908, aged 3 1/2 months. Buried 3rd September. South part, south grave, west end, 5 ft. Rev Hudson, funeral directors W Croad & Sons. Block Q, plot 128, grave 2.

Ref: 2416
JL, widow of William Hy. Corbin, died 17th March 1933 aged 86 years. Buried 20th March, south part, south grave, 7 ft. Rev Snell officiated, funeral directors L D Sinnatt.

Ref: 1074
MRL, widow of Edward Gallie and of Edward Francis Le Marquand. Died 24th March 1939 aged 82 years. Buried 27th March. 2nd, north grave, full. Rev Quarrie officiated, funeral directors G Croad.

Ref: 276
PL died 3rd March 1882 aged 37 years. Buried 4th inst. 2nd, north, 10 ft. Rev Teutel officiated, funeral directors Mr Bishop.

Hope all that makes sense. At least it will give you a couple of names to work with.

Stewart

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that is great - yes those names and dates are very helpful. Thanks for looking those up.

I earlier mentioned Almorah because of this tidbit I found in the Archives search:

Order items/
more details   D/Y Judicial Greffe D/Y/A/37/54 Testament of Julie Romeril of St Helier, widow of John Ledwich. Dated 02/10/1873. Bequeaths two shillings to the poor of St Helier. Desires to be buried in Almorah Cemetery. 09/10/1873 - 09/10/1873

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
I will check to see if she's under her maiden name.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
Had another look at the index today. I can confirm there is nothing in the index under Ledwich/Ledwick.

Normally, the index covers both a ladies maiden and married name. There seems to have been an omission as she is there under her maiden name. Again it's "as is".

Ref: 2315
Julie Romeril widow Captain Ledwick, Died 3rd October 1873, aged 66 years 3 months. Buried 6th October. Rev. Mon. Allegre officiated. Plot 32/15/E.

Now when I was talking to the librarian about the omission, she said she had come across Captain Ledwick before but at the moment can't remember where or why! She said she would get back to me if she remembers.

Stewart

Offline emlowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - I think she might even be listed in the Census under her maiden name - certainly there is one about the same age. I'll look into the census a little more on FindMyPast.

The archives does have the following entry for John Ledwich - unsure if the same John though:

D/Y Judicial Greffe D/Y/A/26/163 Testament of John Ledwich of St Peter. Dated 17/03/1842. Bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £18 of the order. 19/12/1848 - 19/12/1848

Thanks again