Author Topic: Powell family  (Read 9062 times)

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powell family
« on: Saturday 07 July 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help in finding the parents of Thomas Powell born in St Mary Pembroke in 1700. I think he married Ann Prichard of Nash.. and then had 3 children,William, Elizabeth and Alice. Any other info on the family would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Powell family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 20:47 BST (UK) »
There are no Parish Registers for the town of Pembroke prior to 1711, I have transcribed all parish registers for the town from 1711 to the 1950’s.
From 1711 to 1748 there is only one register called “The Register of the Three Parishes” which covers Pembroke St Mary, Pembroke St Michael and Monkton St Nicholas, from 1748 onwards all three have their own parish registers.
The following is what I note for your interest from the Reg. of the 3 parishes
There is no mention circa 1718 onwards of a mrge of a Thomas Powell.
There is no mention in this register of any baptism of a William, Elizabeth or Alice Powell.
The following Powells had children baptised at one of the 3 parishes
Henry & Anne Powel, Richard & Elizabeth Powel, John & Mary Powel, Morgan and Grace Powal.
Looking at my register transcriptions I can find nothing which relates to the Powell family of your interest.
Turning to wills I have transcribed every name, status, place and relationship in every will for Pembroke form 1554 to 1700 and note the surname Powell in the following wills ;
1602/059 Morgan Powell
1613/079 Morgan Swynowe
1617/111 George Powell
1674/012 Richard Watkin
1680/056 John Powell
1684/036 Rice Powell
1694.007 Lewis Moore

All the above can be viewed for free at ;
http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

You may find further assistance at;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html

From my database of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 2008 I note the following Thomas Powell’s in the early part listed by year
Thomas Powell Corvisor ~ 1692 – 1696
Thomas Powell ~ 1699 (Line drawn through name normally indicated ‘Mort’)
Thomas Powell ~ 1699
Thomas Powell Gent ~ 1705 – 1711
Thomas Powell Corvicer ~ 1711 ~ 1734 (Mort)
Thomas Powell Gent ~ 1734 –
Thomas Powell Esqr 1736 – 1740

Circa 1760 at least 13 pages are missing having been eaten by rats.

Do not think that a) it was an honor to be a Burgess, many where fined trying to get out of being registered, b) one had to be of a certain status, anyone from unemployed to trade to Mayor was made burgess, c) only names and years and sometimes trades are shown, therefore it can be difficult to prove continuity.

I believe that the Powells of Pembroke where quite involved in the siege during the civil war.

From my transcription of the Borough minutes from 1678 on the earlist reference I find is
in 1699 ;
That Thomas Powell shall personally appear at the next quarter court holden for the Town and liberties of Pembr and shall not depart there without lyecnse of the said Court and in the meantime shall keepe his majers peace and especially against William Rogers.

This normally shows that the person “appearing” has had some sort of public argument with the person “especially against” and the next Quarter Court will decide the outcome.

My Borough Acc’s do not begin until 1770, therefore will not be usefull to you.

Thomas Powell appears in my listing of Jurors of Pembroke Borough for 1698, 1701 and 1722.

From my listings no Powell held the position of Baliff or Sergeant 1688 to 1726.

From my listing of Constables of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 1763 I note that Thomas Powell was constable of West Ward in 1692 and then later in the same year a Thomas Powell was constable of East Ward.

Hope this is of some interest to your research.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this info which I will need time to digest! Looking one generation later, I think his son William was born c 1717 in Portclew and married Elizabeth Martin from Stackpole. Could this help in finding Thomas and previous generations? Also, I think Thomas was a yeoman

Many thanks

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
his son William was born c 1717 in Portclew and married Elizabeth Martin from Stackpole.

Portclew is Lamphey. I have transcribed all names, status, placenames, relationships etc from all and every will probated in the parish of Lamphey for 1554 to 1858. From this I note for your interest the surname Powell is in the parish from the mid 18th onwards, it might be a bit late but a Thomas Powell of Nash is mentioned in the will of William Powell of Lamphey 1772/017 will made 20 Nov 1771 and probated 12 May 1772. Portclew is mentioned in Powell wills of 1800 to 1826. All can be viewed at that Wills website at the NLoW.

I have transcribed in full all the Stackpole registers from their beginning in 1724 upto the 1950’s, there is no reference to the mrge of a William Powell to Elizabeth Martin at Stackpole.
You are probably aware there is an abbreviated register listed at ;
http://www.revjones.fsnet.co.uk/stackgrpreg/register.htm

My work consists of slightly less errors, but where possible far more information.

You will note there a a single entry in Stackpole baptism to a daughter name is lost to Thomas & Jone Martin baptized in 1729, but I have currently found nothing further in the area.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for more information. The Thomas mentioned above was one of William's sons. William was my great,great,great grandfather.However, I'm having problems accessing the information on the wills.Do you have to subscribe before seeing them?

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
I'm having problems accessing the information on the wills.Do you have to subscribe before seeing them?

No you do not have to subscribe, just in case I gave wrong link try the following again ;
http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

If you are still having trouble enter the NLoW website at its home page and go from there. Still having problems send me an email address via PM and I can at least send you the will extracts (in Excel format), not perfect, but at least you will see all names relationships etc.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much...I can access it now...not sure I know how to use it consistently!

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 May 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help in finding the parents of Thomas Powell born in St Mary Pembroke in 1700. I think he married Ann Prichard of Nash.. and then had 3 children,William, Elizabeth and Alice. Any other info on the family would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks

Offline bacday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 May 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
Just resumed researching my Powell family. I found that thomas was born in 1685 and married Ann prichard born c 1700...they had three children already mentioned and after the death of both parents the children were cared for by a John Pritchard. I'm trying to find whether he was Anne's brother or father..can you help please? Also found that on his death c1717 Thomas Powell (yeoman) owed rent to Richard Cuny. Could Thomas have been a tenant farmer on Richard Cuny's land?I'm still looking for the parents of thomas with little success.