Author Topic: please help find parents of john & william moss  (Read 1704 times)

Offline papworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
please help find parents of john & william moss
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out where the parents of john moss were born/married/died.  They had a son who was buried in Dingley, Northants in 1811 but I do not know how old he was, there was also a second son, William b1812 in Dingley.  Apart from this i am stuck.

Regs

Papworth

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: please help find parents of john & william moss
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat!

There is a tree on Ancestry which has William Moss on it, with parents John and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth has a date of death shown as 1860 in Dingley, but there seem to be no attached sources for this.

Are these the names you are looking for?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
There is also an Elizabeth Moss showing in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses, firstly in Dingley, but then in Wilbarston, marked as widow in the two later censuses.

However, she seems to be the mother of Frederic and Louisa Moss, and Frederic is shown on Familysearch as being the son of THOMAS and Elizabeth Moss, so this is likely to be the wrong family.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Northamptonshire Baptism index cd has

Frederic son of Thomas and Elizabeth MOSS (shoemaker) bapt 23 May 1827 at Dingley

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
This is a different Frederick - this one was much later, baptised in 1838 at Wilbarston, parents William and Elizabeth, also Louisa, 1834, Emma, 1835, William, 1840.  The 1841 census also shows a Samuel KING next door aged 20.

A William MOSS and Elizabeth KING married in 1833 at Dingley.

On later censuses Elizabeth says that she was born at Dingley and is always fairly consistant with her age as being born c1795.  There is a baptism in 1795 at Dingley, parents William and Ann.

What bothers me is that William MOSS's age is recorded as 25 on the 1841 census.  If he was Elizabeth's husband then he was 20 years younger than her and 17 when they married.  Even if his age was rounded down, that is still quite a difference.

Perhaps Papworth can give more information about the John and William MOSS in question so that we can look at the right family.

Debra  :)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Frederic baptised 1827 in Dingley is likely the 17 year old Frederick, an ag lab and living in Dingley in 1841 with 55 year old Elizabeth MOSS

This Elizabeth is still in Dingley a widow age 66 in 1851.
A 74 year old Elizabeth MOSS was buried in Dingley in 1860
so not the one found in Wilbarston in 1861

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 12 18:34 BST (UK) »
We are not helping with Papworth's original query
She has

John MOSS son of John and Elizabeth buried at Dingley 13th Apr 1811
William MOSS son of John and Elizabeth bapt at Dingley 3rd Oct 1812

There are no other MOSS baptisms, marriages or burials in Dingley from 1751-1812
The Northamptonshire Marriage Index cd does not have a marriage for John and Elizabeth MOSS

I suspect that William Moss married to Elizabeth King is the William bapt in 1812 in Dingley to John and Elizabeth.
I cannot find any burial for John, so perhaps he abandoned his wife and family. Nor can I find a baptism for him in the 1751-1812 index cd.

Offline papworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to all who have replied to my question regarding John and Elizabeth Moss. Most of your answers confirmed what I already knew, I tried to find John and Elizabeth outside of Northants but did not get anywhere.  The age of their son John may have helped but I do not think this appears on any records.  While William may have been born on their way through the area I cannot believe that they would have gone far as William ended up there or very near by when he married.  I found a John and Elizabeth who had both died by 1816 in Cold Ashby which is only 14.6 miles away.  I wondered if John and Thomas were related and when John and Elizabeth died, if they were married, would it have been possible that Thomas and his wife took on the now orphaned William, hmmmmm?

Regs

Papworth

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
I read with interest......I am related to the Cold Ashby Moss tribe and there are lots of them and they all name their children the same names....so an interesting if difficult to pin down bunch........
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend