Author Topic: Thomas Cooper (married Mary Walker nee Howlett)  (Read 5984 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cooper (married Mary Walker nee Howlett)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 03:01 BST (UK) »
 :D
Thanks Guys! Wow I didn't expect such a response straight away. Amaaazing! The post on the tattoos & names of siblings looks promising as Thomas did have a son called Thomas Harvey Harvey an unusual name. Ok, firstly i don't know if Thomas was a convict or not but I suspect that he may have been. The Mary Walker (nee Howlett) who he married came over with her mothe in r on the Janus, aged 5. She was born in Birmingham & was obviously not the daughter of her mother, (Mary Howlett, nee Davenport)'s husband Thomas Howlett, transported to Australia before Mary was born). Mary Howlett's father is unknown. To clarify some issues on Mary Howlett. She had 4 relationships, an unknown, a John Renshaw/Anshaw, a Thomas Walker, then Thomas Cooper. She lived from 1816 to 1875 (died in parramatta). She had no children with John Renshaw & several children with Thomas Cooper (details on easystreetretreat.australian royalty site) & the following children with Thomas Cooper. The boy Samuel walker was raised by Thomas Cooper but i'm not sure if he was his (Samuel born 1844-1918)..he was close to Thomas Cooper. Mary was 31 when she married Thomas Cooper. He was about 36. They married in 20th Jan, 1847 Parramatta  had the following children..William Cooper 1847-1847, Eliza Emma Cooper 2.09.1848-9.01.1907, Charles Cooper 1851-1890, Susannah 1853-1895, Thomas harvey Cooper (1856-), Louisa Cooper (1859-1869). My Eliza Emma Cooper married William Smith in Pilliga in 1867.
Yes, i have just ordered the death certificate of Thomas so this may help. On his death notice, posted by Samuel Walker it states that he was 77 (in 1889). This means he was born circa 1811-1812) but the ages quoted were not always correct.
Thanks again everyone. Will get back to you tonight after work. Much appreciated.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 04:37 BST (UK) »
The Mary Walker (nee Howlett) who he married came over with her mothe in r on the Janus, aged 5. She was born in Birmingham & was obviously not the daughter of her mother, (Mary Howlett, nee Davenport)'s husband Thomas Howlett, transported to Australia before Mary was born).

Hi there,

I am confused  ::)

:) The Thomas COOPER ex the 1840 voyage of the EDEN, was issued with a Ticket of Leave in 1844 at BATHURST.  Was your Thomas COOPER known to be in the Bathurst district in 1844?

:) Mary (the adult) who came on the 1820 voyage of the JANUS received her Certificate of Freedom in 1835.  According to the NSW State Records Office Convict Index She was the wife of Matthew (HOWLETT) when the CF was issued.   Do you have a copy of that CF? and does it mention her nee name please?     

:) Your mentioning of Mary's husband as Thomas Howlett in your notes  is confusing me.    Fingers crossed that is just a typo  :)  http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=65

:) There was definitely a Matthew HOWLETT in the Parramatta district in the 1820s (see NSW SRO’s CSreLand indexes).  http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=14

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 05:03 BST (UK) »
I think "Thomas" is a typo JM.

Mary's COF does not give a maiden surname - tried Warwick assizes 7 Aug 1819, ship Janus 1820, born 1790, native of London, wife of Matthew HOWLETT.

The convict Thomas received his COF at Parramatta in 1846 and Mary HOWLETT/WALKER married her Thomas in 1847 at Parramatta, so it's looking promising.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 05:15 BST (UK) »
From the 1828 Census

Matthew HOWLETT ex the Wellington was Free by Servitude, aged 50 and was ex the Wellington.
Mary HOWLETT aged 35 ex the Janus was still serving her 14 year sentence
John HOWLETT aged 7 was born in the colony
Elizabeth HOWLETT aged 5 was born in the colony
Matthew  HOWLETTaged 1 ˝ was born in the Colony
Joseph TURNER, aged 30, ex the Baring was also in that household at PARRAMATTA.

William HOWLETT aged 34 ex the Larkins was Free by Servitude, and his household included a Thomas HOWLETT who was aged 32, also ex the Larkins, holding a Ticket of Leave, but under a Life Sentence.  They were at PROSPECT, and William was a Settler with 40 Cattle and 10 Horses.  There were others in that household.

At the School of Industry there was a Mary HOWLETT, no age given, but she was born in the Colony.   

Cheers,  JM  (Fingers crossed that is a typo)  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 06:28 BST (UK) »
 :o
Thanks so much guys. Yes Dundee, that does look very promising, I think that you have qall found our Thomas!!
I am still getting used to our computer & just now deleted a whole reply, so will retype it all.
I have almost no info on Thomas Cooper apart from date of marriage, that he came from Kent (another source states Shifnall, Shropshire but I think this is wrong). SORRY about the typo error..MATTHEW Howlett (not Thomas). The Coopers (Thomas & Mary & their children) lived in Parramatta. I have no idea where Thomas lived before that.
The Mary who married matthew Howlett was NEE DAVENPORT. She conceived a child, Mary (Howlett) in the Uk while Matthew was in Australia, so the father of Mary (junior) Howlett is unkown. I did actually find out who it was (but have lost this record & will only confuse an already confused thread).
I don't have a copy of the CF of Matthew Howlett but i do know that he married Elizabeth (no issue) but divorced her when Mary was deported (arriving in Aus in January 1820 with little Mary). I know that Mary & Matthew hooked up again & had quite a few children together. Matthew Howlett became a petty criminal & was constantly in trouble with the law. I don't think that he & Mary stayed together into old age. Mrs Howlett was one of the witnesses on the birth certificate of my g grandmother (1868) so she was still alive then.
Mary (nee Howlett) Cooper, the one born 1816 did work at the School of Industry but she was born in the UK, in Birmingham. She wasn't born in the colony (this must be an error, or maybe she was covering up her illegitimacy?).
Will reply again tonight. Was my other post posted?
Thanks so much. How do I go about saying that this was solved??
I will attach a photo of my g g grandmother (the one born 1868) tonight but won't confuse with the name yet (as another mary... ::)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 06:52 BST (UK) »
Solved ???

Neil :o
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D
 :D
Thank you again for all of this information, also the links. Sorry I confused you, Neil! It is confusing with all the Marys (& the Thomas's). Would have been so much easier if they all used original names, but I guess it is good that they copied names of the siblings, parents etc as it makes it easier in some ways to connect the dots (as with Harvey).
I do appreciate the help as I've been trying to solve this one for a while & you guys did it in just one night.
Debra, how did you find the information on the tattoos? This was interesting & crucial in helping solve this one. I had received help from Ross Reid before (one of the sites you quoted). He has amazing information on the Howletts (about 40 pages!!) including all of the court cases of Matthew Howlett. An interesting lad.
I have two more "dead end" people who I'd like some help with. Firstly a William Smith, born circa 1845-1847 in Brisbane supposedly. This one is quite convoluted. The story of William's daughter Mary Ann (alias Muriel Annie, alias Elizabeth Mary Muriel Annie) who is my g grandmother is mysterious. A story about her has been posted in the Cousins Connect magazine by a cousin of mine, John Maddison. I will start another thread.
If anyone has any more information about Thomas this would be great also.
Many many thanks.
Deb

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
Posting a photo of my great grandmother, granddaughter of Thomas Cooper & Mary (nee Howlett).

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Great photo Deb, she was a looker too. You can have that restored possibly via Rootschat. Have a look at the main Board and post in photo restoration.
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads