Author Topic: Link: Irish Prison Records  (Read 25538 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Prison Records now online
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
I don't have easy access to an LDS centre so that's why I went though findmypast.

You don't get a huge amount of extra info on the actual records, well not on the ones that I bought anyone.

I suppose like with all these things it depends on how much you would like to see the original.

Tara

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
I don't have easy access to an LDS centre so that's why I went though findmypast.

You don't get a huge amount of extra info on the actual records, well not on the ones that I bought anyone.

I suppose like with all these things it depends on how much you would like to see the original.

Tara

Find my past tell me
"Its £8.45 for 100 credits and it costs 20 credits to view a record from the Prison Registers." and "It includes:
- Further detail on the crime
- Exact date of Committal
- Details (if any) of any previous convictions
- How disposed of
- Date of discharge".
I shall never want more than that one record :)

Offline patmeph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 November 12 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up a couple of people and found some very interesting entries! ;)
Can't wait to look up the originals and see how to add to the family tree Larceny, Drunkeness and Assaulting a PC without offending anyone!!!!!

Hi myluck I notice that you have a Lawless and a Reilly in your ancesters,my g.grandfather was Thomas Lawless  and his wife's name was Ann Reilly,they were married in Liverpool inabout 1849,both born in Ireland(could be Leitrum and Meath)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 November 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi patmeth
Welcome to the site
There may be a link somewhere but not a close direct one

My Lawless is not a direct ancestor but the first wife of one; she was from the Rathfarnham/Roundtown (Terenure) area of Dublin

My Reilly is also an Ann and a direct ancestor and I have not much on her, she married in Dublin in a CoI parish but was obviously a catholic, so no leads in the church, and her father was James!!! I have recently through the help of another rootschatter, Tara, (and the prison records!) located her sister, Eliza, and I am hoping to find their parents and more information about this family through her.

If you are interested in following up on these families you can start a topic of you own with the information you have; this could be in the general area or Leitrim or Meath and see what we can do for you here. If Thomas and Ann married in 1849 their births will be before Irish Civil Records and you will be relying on Church/Parish/Other records for information which means the more you have to start with the better.

Again welcome
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 November 12 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Tara

One benefit I found with the originals is decyphering handwriting for yourself
Also where there may be a note written it is not always transcribed
and seeing the entries either side of the one you are looking up, you can often fiind relatives involved in a "crime" together or as witnesses

Like with all records, seeing the original is best if you can
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline patmeph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 November 12 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that,from Thomas and Ann's marriage cert their fathers names were both Patrick,and their first born was James.
Thank you again

Offline whelanfi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Irish Prison Records
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody knew how to find prison records for the 1930s/40s. Trying to trace Patrick Boylan who was convicted of the murder of Nora Whelan in 1937, sentanced to death, but then had a reprieve on May 6th 1937. Presumably he remained in prison but I'm hitting a dead end at the moment.
Whelan - Dublin/Waterford/Tipperary
Cullen - Dublin
Gavin - Dublin/Kildare
Walsh - Dublin
Kearney - Dublin
Berrill - Louth
McKenna - Louth
Donough/Donagh - Louth
Byrne - Louth
Garvey - Louth

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Irish Prison Records
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Wills and testamentary records ,National Archives Ireland has 4 files for the case.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Prison Records on FindMyPast
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 April 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, anybody know if these records show the prison staff as well as the prisoners?

Just picked up a certificate today where the bride Susanna Donnelly, on her marriage in Sussex in 1885, gives her father's name as Richard Victor Donnelly (deceased) and his occupation as Deputy Governor of Richmond Bridewell gaol.

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire