Author Topic: Arklow Coastguards  (Read 12316 times)

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arklow Coastguards
« on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
I have been given information from a newspaper obituary of Larry Hayden who died in 1972 aged 70. He lived in Rory O'Connor Place. As well as being a docker for most of his life the announcement also stated that...'he also did dedicated work with the Coastguard service'. Are there any records available that would give any information on his time with the coastguards?

Mandy
Ryan              Wexford  
Lyons            Wexford
O'Neill            Wexford
Storey            Tacken, Waterford
Tomkins          Wexford
Stubbs            Wexford

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Arklow Coastguards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:12 BST (UK) »
ADM175 records include postings of Coastguards. These are available to download free of charge from the National Archives (Kew) as large Adobe (.pdf) files.

I have downloaded most of the volumes relating to Ireland, and will have a look for Larry later on. Besides Arklow, do you know any other locations where he may have served ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:16 BST (UK) »
sorry I read that year as 1872 .... is that a typo ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
No Shane, it was in 1972. I don't know of any locations but as he lived and worked in Arklow I just presumed that it would be the Arklow lifeboats. His name is Laurence Hayden, known as Larry.

Mandy
Lyons            Wexford
Tomkins          Wexford

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
The records I was thinking of are a little too old for your Larry.

The current Coastguard service is part of the Dept. of Transport - their website is here

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, Shane

Mandy
Lyons            Wexford
Tomkins          Wexford

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
I think Lifeboats are usually R.N.L.I. - a voluntary organization, separate to the Coastguard service

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
I have been in contact with someone in Arklow who is going to visit the local coastguard office to ask about the local records they hold and see if he can get information on my Hayden. I will let you know the outcome.... thanks to everyone

Mandy
Lyons            Wexford
Tomkins          Wexford

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 October 12 16:17 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for information on the crews of the Arklow lifeboat service in the 1870s - 80s.  At that time a distant relative of mine - Dr Stopford Halpin - was a resident of Arklow and deeply involved with the lifeboat service.  Dr Halpin (an irascible bigot) was detested by Arklow's Catholic community, particularly by the poor of the Fisheries.  So the exact nature of his personal relationship with Arklow's Lifeboat crew is of great interest to me. 

Can anyone tell me anything about the social and religious make-up of a lifeboat crew?  Were the men involved Catholic or Protestant?  In 1870s Arklow, I suspect most of the men pulling the oars were Catholic residents of the Fisheries, but I can't be sure.

Since I'm in the process of writing a great deal about life in Wicklow and Arklow in the 1870s, any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely - Ray Halpin.

PS - The photos include one shot of Arklow Harbour in 1880, courtesy of the NLI, and another of a group of fishermen's huts similar to those found in Arklow's "Fisheries" in the 1870s.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000326007/Image?lookfor=http://www.nli.ie/glassplates/L_ROY/L_ROY_00416.jpg

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000044293/Image?lookfor=http://www.nli.ie/glassplates/L_ROY/L_ROY_06028.jpg