Author Topic: Rea/Ray family in Bailieborough  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rea/Ray family in Bailieborough
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
In the “Flax Growers List of 1796”, a James Ray shows up in Bailieborough, Co Cavan.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Matt, did you ever get any further with your Rea family?? If so I would appreciate hearing any info no matter how tenuous.
My ancestor Stewart Fulton White married? an Ann Rea. Both were born around 1805 in Ireland, and I now suspect strongly that he joined the 14th Light Dragoons and mustered out in 1832.
Coincidence maybe.
Ian
(PS a PM did not get any response).

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 February 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian, I also have Rae/Ray/Robb ? from Ireland. My GGGrandmother was Grace Rae etc. but born c1827 and marrried to Patrick Brennan in 1854. Grace's Father was James and he was married to Margaret Hamilton. The name is changed on all documents from Rae to Ray and her Death Cert is Robb Would be interested in any connection

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 February 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Irishseeker,
Thanks for the response re Rea!

Every little bit helps given the lack of Irish records, but I doubt that there is anything useful I can offer to you.

Anyway, a total dump of info:

a.   Customs & Excise records show Stewart Fulton White joining the “Mounted Guard” of the Excise Service in 1832 having come from a “dragoon regiment”. He is first posted to Canford Magna, Dorset.

b.   1841 Census shows he is married to Ann with children John, Stewart, James, Ann, and Jane. The parents are both shown as aged 35. The parents and John are listed in the transcription as being Scottish. ALL other documentation in the census records say Irish.

c.   Birth Cert for Jane dated 1839 states the mother to be Ann White, formerly Ray.

d.   The family and most of the children end up in Liverpool after Stewart F is pensioned out of the Excise Service.

e.   The family seems to fall apart and Ann dies in about 1859/60.

f.   Stewart F remarries in 1861 to an Ann Elizabeth Hill, the daughter of a RN lieutenant. The Marriage Cert states that Stewart’s father was a John White, farmer. They relocate down to Portsmouth and he dies in 1881.

g.   The name “Stewart” strongly indicates a Scottish background and likely they were part of lowland Scottish settlement into Ulster. The middle name Fulton is also Scottish coming almost entirely from Wigtownshire and Ayrshire.

h.   Using the 1796 Flax Growers Lists, the only location where a White, a Fulton, and a Rea live together is Newtownstewart in Co. Tyrone so I have tried to focus there with no luck.

Precious little about the Rea/Rae/Ray side.

I would dearly like to tie down the birthplace of Ann or Stewart F.

Ian