Author Topic: Families in Leicestershire before 1700  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Families in Leicestershire before 1700
« on: Friday 13 July 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I read with pleasure the finds researchers make when searching the various Census Returns, but I often stumble when trying to search for my names in earlier years.

Most of my families originate in Leicestershire, with a high proportion located in the south eastern area around Burton Overy, "the Langtons" and "the Kibworths".

I would love to make contact with anyone with these ancestors PRIOR TO 1700 in Leicestershire:

. Berridge
 . Groocock
 . Barsbey
 . Witsey
 . Hill
 . Tilley
 . Hardy
 . Measom
 . Bird
 . Arnold
 . Smally
 . Barrett
(plus any variation of spelling!)

Thank you, in advance!

Megan in Sydney
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Families in Leicestershire before 1700
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Looking through Phillimores, there are Berridge marriages recorded in Belgrave prior to 1700. There are also some very early "Perridge" marriages recorded in Birstall. There is also at least one Berridge marriage in the 1690s in Syston.
Although not related, I have some interest as my late Aunt was a Berridge, and her brother, Archie was Lord Mayor of Leicester in the 60s or 70s.
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline niglor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
Groocock is one of my families! I have loads on my tree! 3x gt grandmother was a Groocock.

Offline niglor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Got back to 1400s with Groocock.

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you to you both, RRYFS and niglor, for your responses!

RRYFS - is (are?) Phillimores available in Australia? I've not heard of them before. Are they online?

niglor - I would be interested in discussing... I, too, have a list from the FamilySearch/IGI database, but because no sources are quoted I am not too positive that the connections are correct.

Megan in Sydney
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan

I'm not at the right computer to check, but I think Phillimores was produced in the late 19th or early 20th century as a transcription of parish registers. I bought Leicestershire as a download, because that covers virtually all my family on both sides. I find it very useful, though not sure I've found anyone "new" from it. I don't mind doing occasional look-ups if that would assist.

Sorry it took a long time to reply - I don't look in very often and the alerts I used to get seem to have stopped. PM me if I can help.

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan,

The Beridges go back a very long way near Kibworth. Look at St Wilfred's Church website http://www.stwilfs.freeserve.co.uk/past.htm#dig

There is a plaque in the church low down just to left of the altar which is to Will am Berridge 1565. They are are very well connected family and you trace them back to Kings and Queens.

Of course there are many other Berridges on the IGI that may not be connected to this branch.

Also search the National Archives for Berridges in Leicestershire. Lots of documents.

Rog

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rog - thank you for responding.

I have found these Berridges of St Wilfred's, unfortunately they do not seem (read "can not prove them") to be my direct line!!!

I think it is possible that John Berridge, Rector 1602-1632, was a 10th Great Uncle, making his father my 11th Great Grandfather, but unfortunately there is no further information (such as spouse) that could help me confirm the link to me.

Do you know how I can investigate a Rector's spouse?

Megan in Sydney

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan,

First see the Victorian County Histories http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22057

For more details you need to see the plaque, but you will find this quite difficul whre you are. I have a photo somewhere that has escaped my filing system but I wrote the text down and with the help of friends translated most of it. It goes:

H:S:E:
Hic sepultus est =  Here was buried

Iohannes Beridge s Theologie Professor Ecclesie Cathedralis B: Marie Lincoln Presentor ATQ HVIVS Ecclesie par annos 30 pastor Eivsdemq patronus QVI Londini Animam deo. Reridit 12 Die MAII ANNO. D.M. 1632 Etstis ( may be AE diphthong latis) suc sixagesimo

John Beridge teacher of theology, Precentor of the cathedral church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln, and pastor of this church for 30 years, and its patron, who died in London the 12th day of May in the year of our lord 1632, in his 60th year

Coningem sortitus dorotheam filiam Fermandi Fielding Armigere a quam ei nati Suat 3 filie Maria Festino et Grodhilha omnes ante patre defunde et 10 filii Basilius Gulielmus Ferdinandus Georgius Basilius Michael Jacobus Ignathius Samuel Johannes quos omnes (Basulio Seniore et Michaele exceptis) una cu bxore superstites
reliquit

Married to Dorothy the daughter of ?Ferdinand Fielding esquire by whom
were born 3 daughters, Mary, Festina and Grodhilla [?] all died before
their father and 10 sons, Basil, Wulliam, Ferdinand, George, Basil,
Michael, James, Ignatius, Samuel, John who all (Basil senior and Michael
excepted) together with his wife he left still living.

Spero videre bona tm in terra viucutiu

I hope to see ?you ?well in the land -?-

Good hunting

Rog