Author Topic: ? Muriel Annie(nee Smith)AIKEN,born Mary Ann SMITH, alias E M A M STANLEY  (Read 16920 times)

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: ? Muriel Annie(nee Smith)AIKEN,born Mary Ann SMITH, alias E M A M STANLEY
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
How terribly sad for the family to lose young child the way they did. :'(
Sorry thought you had the death cert.
On her death certificate, Edward's wife was called Muriel Annie, daughter of William SMITH & Eliza Cooper.
Do you have any doubt  about that the marriage in 1895 in VIC between AIKEN and STANLEY being your lady?
To be able to make out you are someone else would have to mean the you had a good knowledge about the person you were
making out to be, especially knowing the maiden name of FIELDHOUSE for your pretend mother, seems strange.  ???
Do you have that marriage cert ?
Cheers Leonie
NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info re resizing...will give it a go.  :) :)  Great ideas. Right now have to take my little pup for a walk.

Yes it was sad,  a tragic family. So much sadness. The little boy Dudley (ie only son of Muriel eldest daughter, was apparently found hung around those old fashioned clothes lines. The story goes that he loved planes & he used to grab the line & go around the pole with it, but obviously he did this & got I've seen a photo of that little boy absolutely beautiful, blonde with blue eyes. When I met his sister my son was about the same age as the boy when he died & she commented how much my son looked like him.
The other young boys died at a railway dam at Dunedoo. One got stuck out in the mud & reeds & the other boy tried to rescue him & died also. Trove reports about this incident.
Leonie, some info I have is from a relation of mine..I have few actual certificates.
Yes I am certain that the pair who married in 1895 is the same pair who lived together in Sydney, Katoomba, Dunedoo etc. I have postcards that match the handwriting with the marriage certificate.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
The little boy Dudley (ie only son of Muriel eldest daughter,

Sorry, but I thought DUDLEY was Muriel's son..... birth registered in 1907 at Katoomba.  I cannot see Muriel's daughter being old enough to have a son born in 1907.   

1907 birth Dudley E AIKEN, son of Edward I and Muriel A, #14266. 
1916 death Dudley E AIKEN, son of Edward I and Muriel A #2358  (Merriwa) 

I am becoming very confused now.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:41 BST (UK) »

Do you have any doubt  about that the marriage in 1895 in VIC between AIKEN and STANLEY being your lady?
To be able to make out you are someone else would have to mean the you had a good knowledge about the person you were making out to be, especially knowing the maiden name of FIELDHOUSE for your pretend mother, seems strange.
Do you have that marriage cert ?

The marriage certificate is attached to reply #8

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
Further confusion,

Trove

Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate has the licencee of the Dunedoo Hotel, Dunedoo as Edward Finlay AIKEN.   http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/77611429 As per cutting re the Licensing Court.

SMH  1 Feb 1916 has Dudley drowning along with his brother Frank at Dunedoo.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28781086

Dubbo Liberal  1 Feb 1916 has the two lads as sons of Mr E J AIKEN, proprietor of the hotel at Dunedoo.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/77604280

Not sure where the old fashioned clothes line comes into the picture at all, sorry

ADDING to show why I am currently confused

The little boy Dudley (ie only son of Muriel eldest daughter, was apparently found hung around those old fashioned clothes lines. The story goes that he loved planes & he used to grab the line & go around the pole with it, but obviously he did this & got I've seen a photo of that little boy absolutely beautiful, blonde with blue eyes.
.........      The other young boys died at a railway dam at Dunedoo. One got stuck out in the mud & reeds & the other boy tried to rescue him & died also.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 July 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
FOUND A CONNECTION TO SMITH [/b]

The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate, PARRAMATTA Wed 9 Feb 1916.

The two sons of Mr Edward I AIKEN ….  WERE BURIED FROM THE RESIDENCE OF THEIR AUNT, Miss SMITH of Onslow Street GRANVILLE …….

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/86070598

I will try my NSW ER for 1913 for that Miss SMITH

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1913, GRANVILLE Electorate, polling at Granville,
Edith SMITH, Onslow Street dd
Louisa SMITH, Onslow Street general servant

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks MAJM yes that's  them. The SMITH " sisters" lived at GRANVILLE...Edith (Edie) and Louisa (Louie). Edith was looking after William SMITH at ONLOWS St Granville when he died. She is the informant & in the death notice in the paper her address is Onslow St. Edith never married.

Will print off the post that i was writing when your post came in...as follows...
 SORRY SORRY MAJM.  :-[  I was talking about the tragedy of Muriel Victoria's son Dudley who was hung. There was a  lot of tragedy as Leonie commented & i was talking about some of this. There were TWO Dudleys, son of Muriel Annie & Edward & son of Muriel Victoria & her husband. Sorry about this. Yes, Muriel Annie's son Dudley drowned in 1916 in a railway dam with his brother Frank.

Below is what I posted in the photo restoration thread re the back of that photo. This is for MAJM as relates to a query of hers & info re photographers etc.

It was a postcard & I had done  acopy of  a copy (Mum had the opriginal) post as follows..MAJM I called my mother & she found the original (I had taken a copy of a copy). It is a post card photo which reads...Postcard This space may be used for communication.  ;)
Also  :) :) :) the following is written..
To Mollie, From Father and Mother & Dud. Dud is 4 years old.

(Mollie was Muriel Victoria, the oldest daughter aged 16 in 1911, attended a Convent boarding school in Geelong VIC. The photo was probably taken on his birthday)

This mean that this photo was taken in 1911, as MAJM reminded me that Dudley (Dudley Edmund Aiken) was born in 1907.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:22 BST (UK) »
The article is confirming that Miss SMITH was the AUNT of the two boys.    The article does NOT say that Miss Smith was their aunt via their MUM or via their DAD, but it seems likely from what you have posted on your several threads that the Miss SMITH was their aunt via their Mum.

Here is the link to the thread that Iforani mentions re Dudley. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,606527.0.html

I am thinking of having a break, OH is starving, and there's strange noises from the kitchen, the fridge door keeps being open and shut ....   :)

Cheers,  JM