Author Topic: Bhylls Cottages  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Kizzy cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bhylls Cottages
« on: Saturday 14 July 12 12:22 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors living at Bhylls Cottages, in 1911. I have found the cottages  listed as Merry Hill and also Compton, Wolverhampton. Does any one know where they were situated and any information on them photos etc.  There is a Bhylls Lane off Castlecroft Lane, Finchfield, and also A Bhylls Farm which was on Bhylls Lane, any information would be useful. :)
Cartwright - Dudley
Funnell - Cheshire/Lancashire
Faulkner - Lancashire

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Bhylls Cottages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya

There is an old cottage still half way down Bhylls Lane (which runs between Merry Hill and Compton) but this might actually be the old farm itself

I'm sure someone will soon correct me

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Kizzy cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow,

Yes I know the cottage but there is nothing to identify it, theres no date on it either but it is the oldest property in Bhylls Lane, and not that far from where I think The Bhylls was.  I now know that the Bhylls was renamed Bellencroft and that it may not have been a farm.  I think i'l try and look at an old ordnance survey map for around 1910.

Thanks for your help.
Kizzy
Cartwright - Dudley
Faulkner - Lancashire

Offline ronnicooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
As this was an old post which I chanced upon, you probably don't need the information now, but I was born at Bhylls Farm and have a photo of it if you would like one? I lived there until it was compulsorily purchased by the council around 1958/59. I think it was originally two cottages (Bhylls Cottages?) and had been knocked into one. It had gardens, a lovely orchard (lived on fruit from it growing up as rationing was still on!), stables, pig sties, barns and other outbuildings. It was more the size of a smallholding than a farm really. Bellencroft (a large, redbrick house owned by a Miss Lawrie) adjoined its boundary. It was very old and I doubt had changed much from when your relative lived there (I'm sure the plumbing hadn't anyway!  :). Incidentally, if it aids your search, its address when we lived there was: Bhylls Farm, 67 Bhylls Lane, Lower Penn, Wolverhampton.
Hope that helps and if you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Vicky

Offline Kizzy cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky,

I would be interested in seeing a photo of Bhylls cottages, can you paste it to this page ?

regards Kizzy   :)
Cartwright - Dudley
Faulkner - Lancashire

Offline ronnicooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky,

I would be interested in seeing a photo of Bhylls cottages, can you paste it to this page ?

regards Kizzy   :)
Hi Kizzy
I would love to but I'm being a numpty and can't see how on this interface! When I click on the 'Attachments and other options' link, it does not bring up the expected menu of being able to browse for a file. If you could either explain where I'm going wrong, please, or PM me with your email address, hopefully I can get the photo to you!
Many thanks
Vicky

Offline Fellows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Any luck with pic would love it see it.I live in Bellencroft gardens and I’m trying to find out about Bellencroft house and we’re it was I think the entrance was in bhylls Lane were there are two white pillars be great if any one as any photos of the entrance from when the house was there so I could work out the houses foot print or any photos of the area at the time .

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
This side by side map of the area shows Bhylls.  You can move your cursor around on the maps

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.57371&lon=-2.17809&layers=168&right=BingHyb

I am familiar with the area, I used to live in Compton  :)

Sorry, should have said welcome to Rootschat, Fellows  :D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Fellows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply the map is very interesting