Author Topic: Re: Rossiter for rcuser  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Claire Clark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rossiter for rcuser
« on: Monday 16 July 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rcuser,

I have loaded a message on the Rossiter One name Board today as follows. Any interst to you?

I have Isaac Rossiter Clark living in Middlesex/ Highgate in the early 1800s. I do not know who his parents were, where he was born, or how he comes to have the Rossiter middle name. Potentially I could be looking for CLARK and ROSSITER connections names through marriage . But any other suggestions welcomed. Rossiter was a very significant name to this man and his family. He gave the name Rossiter to several children as their middle name.

Isaac Rossiter Clark was born abt 1774 - 1778 [based on ages at death].
In 1813 he married Elizabeth Adams (nee Grey) at St Pancras, Middlesex. He would have been 35 – 39 years old. He died 24 November 1840  male, age 62 years, pauper, in the Workhouse Hampstead. He was buried as Isaac Rositer Clark at Highgate Cemetery of St. James, Swains Lane, St Pancras, abode Highgate bur. 1st. Dec.(?) 66years of age.
Thanks for any ideas, CC in NZ

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Re: A Big THANK YOU to all the volunteers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi CCNZ,
Hope all is well with you in NZ.

The bad news is that he is not in my database, at least not with the date of birth given.

However, I do have an Isaac Rossiter Clark born circa 1742 who may well be his father.

My Isaac was born a Rossiter but after his father died his mother married Thomas Clark and possibly took his name by adoption or custom.He was born in Evercreech, Somerset, England.

Unfortunately,I do not know who he married if at all or indeed much else about him. His biological parents were James Rossiter & Eleanor Lumber.Isaac had Rossiter siblings and Clark half siblings.

Much of this is speculation. I haven't revisited this line for quite a while.Online sources have improved so maybe I can take your info and link it to mine somehow.

Hope this helps. Have a good day in sunny NZ.

Best wishes, rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Claire Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A Big THANK YOU to all the volunteers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rcuser,
Mana from heaven. I have investigated the Evercreech line once before but the custodian of the data was dismissive. You are open minded. Please go to http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/BRABANT/2002-07/1025761250
and pick up email contact for me and please write. CC

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have moved this so that you get credit for posts.  The Lighter Side board does not do that.  When you have two posts you should be able to use our personal message system.  Reply to this and it should work.  Click on the green scroll under the user name.
Regards
Andrea

Offline Claire Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I would like to focus on Isaac ROSSITER born 8 Feb 1767 in Evercreech ["Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SR7S-XTM : accessed 19 July 2012), entry for Isaac /Rossiter/.

Isaac Rossiter is reported as married Hannah GARLAND and they had 2 children
Hannah ROSSITER born 1789 Evercreech, Somerset and Joanna ROSSITER b. 1792 Evercreech, in Somerset

I am enquiring if anyone has researched this individual, his wife and/or children.
My key question is does he disappear from known family events after 1792? 
He may reappear as Rossiter CLARK in our family branch in Middlesex.

Thanks Claire in New Zealand

Offline Beth Heap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,
I was wondering if you have got any further with your research for Isaac Rositer Clark.  He is my 4th great grandfather and we have tried going down the path of Isaac born 8 Feb 1767 in Evercreech, but it appears that he was buried in Upton Noble Somerset 10 Feb 1830 age 63.  It looked like such a promising lead and sure seems like our Issac should be tied up in here somewhere!
Regards
Beth
Patterson, Clark, Walters, Williams, Davies, Jones, Hansford, Bassett, Shreeve, Shaw, Talbot, Dennis, Wilson, Cotton, Potter, Barber, Hawkins, Pullen, Rossiter, Grey, May, Hensher, Christopher, Harris, Steed, Duke, James, Armstrong, Banton, Wardle, Broadhurst, Sharpe, Winters, Rudd, Bond, Eaton

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 May 19 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth, and welcome to Rootschat!

It has been some time since Claire visited here, so no guarantees she will see your message soon.  However, I did want to point out an alternate death date than the one you posted:

There is a burial record for an Isaac Rositer Clark in Camden, buried 01 Dec 1840, age given as 66.  He is also listed here: https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?DetsView=Summary&src=ext&fileid=14349024

This might be a better fit, as I see he married a widow, Elizabeth Adams in Middlesex and had at least one child baptised there.

Offline Beth Heap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the welcome.  I did notice that Claire hasn't posted anything for a while, but thought I'd give it a try in case I was able to make contact with her.

I'm pretty certain the Isaac Rositer Clark that you mentioned was buried 1 Dec 1840 in Camden is our Issac Rositer Clark.  We don't however know anything about who his parents were or where he was born.  We were hoping that the Evercreech Issac Rossiter (born 8 Feb 1767)  - son of Issac Rossiter alias Clark may have been our Isaac, but with further research, it looks likely that particular Isaac Rossiter died in Somerset.

Isaac Rositer Clark did marry Elizabeth Adams (nee Grey) and they had 5 children all born in Middlesex.  Elizabeth had another two from her first marriage to Thomas Adams.  We have managed to track down Elizabeth's place of birth to Hindon in Wiltshire, and believe she was baptised 21 Apr 1782 with parents Jeremiah and Jane.

It appears that the family in Middlesex took on the Rossiter Clark name as a double surname as the death certificate for Elizabeth has her listed as Elizabeth Rossiter Clark.

Any suggestions where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.  It's unfortunate that Isaac died before he could appear on any census records.

Beth
Patterson, Clark, Walters, Williams, Davies, Jones, Hansford, Bassett, Shreeve, Shaw, Talbot, Dennis, Wilson, Cotton, Potter, Barber, Hawkins, Pullen, Rossiter, Grey, May, Hensher, Christopher, Harris, Steed, Duke, James, Armstrong, Banton, Wardle, Broadhurst, Sharpe, Winters, Rudd, Bond, Eaton

Offline Jayde Rossiter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 May 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello from South Africa

My great grandfather was named Gabriel Edmund Rossiter, His mother was Elizabeth Clark, he was the illegitimate son of Gabriel Rossiter of Penzance. Lots of info re paternity in "The Cornishman" newspaper for that period! Looking for family / ancestors / information / help / tips / advice please :) My fathers birthday is coming so want to do something special for him... Its been  while since I have worked on this tree but I think I traced the family to Wexford, Ireland, will update as soon as I have sorted through everything!