Author Topic: Emigrants to Sharon, USA from Northumberland? c 1861 - 1871  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emigrants to Sharon, USA from Northumberland? c 1861 - 1871
« on: Monday 16 July 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
I´ve been trying to track down an ancestor, Jane Stamp, born c Aug 1844 in Horton, Northumberland for a while and to my surprise found she died in the USA according to an obituary published in the Morpeth Herald newspaper of 29 July 1871:

"At Sharon, US America, 31st May last, aged 27, Jane, the beloved wife of Mr James Pringle, and daughter of Mr Robert Stamp, late of Cowpen North Pit, much respected by all who knew her."

Jane´s father, Robert worked as a husbandman/miller and later as a horse keeper in a coal mine. No one else in the family seems to have emigrated to the USA.

I haven´t found any record of Jane marrying James Pringle on freebmd. I have her on the 1861 census, aged 16, living with her father and step mother and their children. So she emigrated between 1861 and 1871, married at some place unknown and subsequently died.

Are there any known links between the north east and "Sharon" (unknown state) in USA?
Which Sharon is she must likely to have moved to?

Any advice is very welcome!
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to Sharon, USA from Northumberland? c 1861 - 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 01:31 BST (UK) »
There is a Sharon Pennsylvania--northwest of Pittsburgh on the Pennsylvania/Ohio border.  Lots of folks emigrated from the area worked in the coal mines in Pennsylvania although I am not sure about Sharon itself, it is a manufacturing city now.  Mercer county was heavy into coal and iron mining. 

There are other Sharon's in the States--Vermont, Connecticut and other's--my bet is on the Pennsylvania one.

There is a passenger Jane Stamp, age 24, spinster, arriving in New York 20 Oct 1868, ship originated in Liverpool.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message! You have come to the same conclusions as me. I just need to see the original passenger list to see if anyone I recognise is travelling with Jane. Her mother was dead so perhaps she travelled with her maternal relatives. It´s surely unlikely that she was travelling on her own in 1868, isn´t it??  And if James Pringle came from Northumberland, they would have married there so they possibly married in the Sharon area between 1868 and her death in 1871.

I think ancestry have the  original passenger lists (?) but does anyone know if the vital records for this area are available? I´d love to check for her marriage and death records and possible births of any children to the marriage. Or have further information about this migration route from Northumberland to Pennsylvania at this time?

Lots of questions I know!

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
 Just adding to Janis's great info ( well she is the Board's embedded US correspondent, lol)...

Many north-east coal miners emigrated to US.   Agents for the American coal industry advertised in locale for volunteers. There was at least one agent working out of Cramlington, circa 1860/70s

" Cowpen North Pit" was also called Cowpen "B" Pit. It went on to become what was known as a "jumbo"
pit, Bates Colliery.
 http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/004890FS.htm   shows pit area on map in 1860
 http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/006192FS.htm    shows area in 1897

Then known as been in Cowpen area, today now within the town area of the town of Blyth

http://dmm-gallery.org.uk/b021-024.htm

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael. They´re lovely maps aren´t they and a great website.

I´ve a feeling I´m now going to be tracking down a lot more earlier emigrant relatives! I know plenty who left from 1890 because the records are so easily accessible - this is going to be a lot more tricky!

Cheers.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:39 BST (UK) »

What happened to Elizabeth Stamp, born c1839, dtr of Robert and Isabella Elliot ?

On 1861 census she was dairy maid in Netherwitton Hall ( page ref 3870-54-9)

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 05:37 BST (UK) »
My guess is that the marriage records for Mercer County are in their courthouse.  You will want the application for marriage.  It will have all sorts of infomation more than an English marriage record.  That is if this is the Sharon she died in.  I doubt there would be a death record.  Those records were not kept at the county level until about 1895.  I don't know who you would get to look for you.  Perhaps someone from their genealogical/historical society.  I believe these records survived the 1907 fire that destroyed the courthouse as I think they were in a fireproof vault.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk