Author Topic: Scott of NewBliss area (Martin, Mullen, Guthrie, Boyle, Armstrong)  (Read 6649 times)

Offline intrigue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott of NewBliss area (Martin, Mullen, Guthrie, Boyle, Armstrong)
« on: Wednesday 18 July 12 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hello researchers.

I am trying to piece together information relating to the Scott family of Monaghan Ireland. I would appreciate any advice or assistance available and am happy to share any information that may be helpful to others.

The family history notes commence with James Scott (who married Anne Martin) was born in NewBliss Monaghan Ireland in 1846.

I have located the marriage cert for James Scott and Anne Martin. They were married at the Clones registrars office in 1865 by registrar named John Kirkpatrick in the presence of witnesses Elizabeth Guthrie and Euphemia Dunwoodie. The listed place of residence is Drummullan Aghabog Fathers names are William Scott (laborer) and Robert Martin (Farmer). Based on death records James would have been 19 at time of marriage and Anne just 15.

more to follow;

Offline intrigue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scott of NewBliss area (Martin, Mullen, Guthrie, Boyle, Armstrong)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 06:52 BST (UK) »
Death record for James Scott shows parents of William Scott and Margaret Mullen.
Death record for Anne Martin shows parents of Robert Martin and Eliza Jane Graham.

I would like to source info relating to the parents and grandparents, also determine James's siblings?

In both the Tithe Applotments for 1832 and the Griffith Valuations 1861. I can see Scotts leasing properties in Drumshannon. I believe this to be my family. In 1861 there is a William, Robert, John and George. I am guessing they are siblings. In 1832 there is also a James Scott I am guessing he may be their father? There is likely also more than one William as there are several leases close by with said name. The properies surround the Presbytarian meeting hall and graveyard. I would think these Scotts would be buried here?

more....

Offline intrigue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
As I know James Scott (son of William) married Anne Martin I looked for Martins in the Griffith Valuations and can see a Thomas, Robert, William and James nearby in Drumbaragh. (The same townland as listed on the birth record for one of James and Anne children.. James b1871). I believe this Robert Scott to be the father of Anne Martin. He and his sibling are also likely to be buried in the Presbytarian graveyard?

I note there is a William Graham who leases a property neighbouring the Martins. He also leases a property from Robert Scott. I presume he is related to Eliza Jane Graham? (the wife of Robert Martin).

I also found a death record for an Elizabeth Guthrie stating she was born in Aghabog with parents James Guthrie and Margaret Mullen (same mother my opening James). Therefore I believe that William Scott died between 1846 and 1853? I am uncetain whether she remarried siad James Guthrie. I note Guthrie families further north in Inshammon?

more..

Offline intrigue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 07:14 BST (UK) »
The only Mullens I can find nearby suggests that Margaret Mullens father may have been Michael Mullen from Largy, Clones?

Next I know about James and Ann Martins children all born in Aghabog/Clones area.
- William in Roosky 1866 (possibly married a Mary)
- James in 1871 who married Margaret Anne Boyle. I note Boyle families nearby in Feagh? (John and John W). I also note that an Aaran Martin leased a property from a Charles Boyle is Killygragy (also closeby).
- Eliza Jane b1868 married Margaret Anne's brother Thomas Boyle.
- Mary Anne b1870 in Drumbaragh died in Clones 1871. (she may also be buried at NewBliss pres)
- Margaret Ann b 1873 married a John Pollock.
- phebe Catherine b1890 was either born or baptised at Glinch House.

Offline intrigue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 07:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the long read.. last one!

Looking back to the opening James's father William I note he would have been born abt 1820. The only William I can find born around that time in Monaghan is son to William Scott and Mary Bannan. I note this Mary Bannan also had a child Jane Anne in 1918 with a George Scott (perhaps Williams brother?).

I am having trouble finding any real proof that my theories are correct and as such I ask if anyone has any records, clues or advice for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I appreciate. I eagerly await responses!  :o

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this matches anything for you but there are quite a few Martins and Scotts buried there...here is a Scott/Martin g/stone and a Martin g/stone from Newbliss. Pres. Sorry about quality as I was just rushing around that day and just grabbed these.

I wouldn't know much about Martins but there are a lot of them.....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello researchers.

I am trying to piece together information relating to the Scott family of Monaghan Ireland. I would appreciate any advice or assistance available and am happy to share any information that may be helpful to others.

The family history notes commence with James Scott (who married Anne Martin) was born in NewBliss Monaghan Ireland in 1846.

I have located the marriage cert for James Scott and Anne Martin. They were married at the Clones registrars office in 1865 by registrar named John Kirkpatrick in the presence of witnesses Elizabeth Guthrie and Euphemia Dunwoodie. The listed place of residence is Drummullan Aghabog Fathers names are William Scott (laborer) and Robert Martin (Farmer). Based on death records James would have been 19 at time of marriage and Anne just 15.

more to follow;

FYI  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,467678.0.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.