Author Topic: John McDonald/McDonnell/Macdonald  (Read 7040 times)

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McDonald/McDonnell/Macdonald
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 12 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara
Nothing of interest in the record, except that the sentence was changed from Death to transportation & also that he was sent to the hulk "Surprise" on June 15, 1835. Also the Judge was  "Chief Justice BUSHE". No parents or birth date recorded.
Have had some info come in from another relation who has found a birth (the only one) between 1811-1815 of a John McDonald born in Feb. to a Patt & Mary McDonald at Ballinakill, Queens. Not sure we can claim him as we have no information to back it up.
Do you know where the trial may have been held? We know that Maryborough was the main court but I guess there were others.
regards
Bev

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 12 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack
Thanks for your interest in John McDonald.
Fully understand about the name thing - my father-in-law was called Jack & everyone thought he was really "John" but he was actually "Jack".
If you see my reply to Tara you will see where I'm at ???
Will keep plodding along & hope something pops
appreciate the help
regards
Bev

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

Yes, I would be very hesitant about 'claiming' that John. Not all churches in Laois have records back to the early 1800's so it's most likely he is still 'out there'.

Re the courthouse : Maryborough is the old name for Portlaoise. Maryborough / Portlaoise courthouse is on the main street in Portlaoise Town.

I have attached some articles on it

portlaoise courthouse

portlaoise courthouse & portlaoise in general

I would well imagine that this was the courthouse that he was tried in. Laois is only a small county and I have heard of other small courthouses around the county but most of these (as far as I am aware) were for smaller petty crimes....not in the case of your relation whom you have said was originally given the sentence of death.

Tara

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 12 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara
Thanks for the information about the court house etc. It helps give background to our John's story.
One other question if you don't mind - Where is/was "cove" where the hulk "Surprise" took on the prisoners.
John actually came to Australia on the "Surry/Surrey 8. 1836, would they have gone to England & left from there? Not sure how the system worked.
appreciate your help & hope you don't mind my questions
regards
Bev

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
'Cove' is the old name for Cobh, which was also named Queenstown. It was a major port in Co. Cork on the south coast.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 July 12 00:43 BST (UK) »
Morning Shane
Thank you for that information re "Cove"  Good to have an idea where things happened
appreciate the help from Rootschatters
regards
Bev

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 July 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
2 more John Mc Donald's (in Australia)
----

Dayrell Oct 10th 1904. Clifton
Dubbo Gertrude, wife of Wm M B Dyrell, and eldest dtr of late John Mc Donald Queens County Ireland, R.I.P
----
9/12/1873
Keyran Cusack and John Mc Donald were charged with drunkness at West Maitland Police court.
Discharged with caution
=======
Jack

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
My John McDonald was in Maitland for the early part of his sentence, but by 1873 he had moved.
when he was in Maitland in 1843, he was involved in the "Election Riots" where the convicts came to town on the day of the election with their "Masters" & the day ended in a big riot with property damaged, heads bashed & one man killed. John McDonald was a leader of some of the men & ended up in court sentenced to 6 months in irons at Hyde Park in Sydney & never to return to the area.
Mind you, he did end up in newspaper reports for being drunk several times - good Irish stock - liked a drink & a fight!!!!
Interesting guy & the newspapers here (NLA Newspapers) are a great source for everyday people of the time.
I have found a lot of information about relo's in these papers.
regards
Bev