Author Topic: John Williams 1855 and Family  (Read 6877 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams 1855 and Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The death of John Williams is reported in the "Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Recorder" on the 10th February:-
4th February at Killamarsh John Williams aged 44.

The above may not be the full announcement, this is all you can see on the British Newspaper site for the full
report you have to pay:-  http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/advanced, however there may
be someone who would do a look up for you at Chesterfield Library who I understand have this newspaper
on film.

Have looked for John Williams living in Killamarsh in 1891 without success.

If you do intend to purchase a certificate, I would opt for a Birth Certificate.

Assume you have John prior to his marriage, in 1861 he is with his parents and siblings in Clown, Derbyshire
by 1871 he is living with his married sister Mary = Samuel Gee December Q 1863 Chesterfield 7b 976, also
living with Mary are her siblings Alice Jane & George Williams, living Speedwell, Staveley, Derbyshire.

Will keep looking,

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ladytodd

• RootsChat Member
  • Nothing is as simple as it seems - It's Todds Law!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 July 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
That is very interesting information which I will look into tomorrow. If I don't get any joy then I will do as you suggest and get someone to do a lookup at Chesterfield Library. I will also order a birth certificate for one of the children to get Hannah's maiden name. I do already have John's information in the previous census' but thank you for taking the time and looking. If you come across anything else that may be of interest regarding John Williams I will be very interested to hear it. Thank you once again. Ladyt  :)
Barwood Walmer,Kent
Todd/Carr East London Stratford, Stepney, Mile End
Read/Colborne Verwood Dorset
Williams/Haywood Staffordshire
Shepperson Bingham Nottinghamshire

Offline ladytodd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Have just received the certs (I ordered death for John Williams and a birth of one of their children). Guess what????? The death is not him. Informant was a Caroline Charlesworth and the occupation was an Iron Moulder and I know that mine was a Coal Miner. Back to the drawing board then  ??? Hannahs maiden name was Searston. That's one mystery solved. If john didn't die in 1900 where are they in 1891 and 1900??  Ladyt
Barwood Walmer,Kent

Offline ladytodd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know I now have information that this family emigrated to Australia. It's only taken me two years to find this out. ::)
Never mind.  Ladyt  :)
Barwood Walmer,Kent

Offline Middie01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 November 13 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Todd, are you still looking for info on John Williams.  I have just started trying to trace my family tree and have traced back to John but at this stage I have got no further.  I am Frederick's granddaughter in Australia.
Regards, Middie01. :)

Offline ladytodd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 November 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Middie, Nice to hear from you. I have actually done all I can now in my research for John. I do have lots of information on him and his family - children etc. in the UK and Australia. I still have a few gaps with a couple of his children's marriages but am happy with the info I now have. You have obviously read all the posts so you know that I had been looking for him for a long time. It didn't help that he had the two most commonest names in the UK John and Williams  ::) Which of Frederick's children are you descended from? I would be very interested in any info you have on Frederick's childrens descendants. In return I do have lots of info on John that I can give you. Look forward to hearing from you again.  :) Ladyt
Barwood Walmer,Kent

Offline Middie01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 November 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ladyt,  My father was George, the eldest of Frederick's 8 children.  As I said, I am new to this but will be able to help with some information on Fred's family.  Unfortunately he passed away in 1935, 12 years before I was born so I never met him.
I know what you mean about looking up the name John Williams, very frustrating.  I would really appreciate any information you will be able to give me on him and his family.  Sounds like you have been doing this for quite a while.
The children were: George William, Victor Henry, Lily May, Grace Hannah, Leslie Frederick, Ruby Merle, Ronald Vincent and Earnest Roy.
His wife was Mary Rahn and she passed away in 1966.
It's bedtime here for me now so I will be in touch after I catch up on my beauty sleep....I need all I can get. :D Middie

Offline JMCDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Just quickly scanned your posts as I was looking for information on John Williams married to Hannah Searston. John Williams is my second great grandfather. His son John W Williams is my descendant. I have a picture of him and one of his brothers but I don't know which one. The photograph just had that it was my grandfather's (Clement Arthur Williams), father and uncle. They were referred to in the photo by the nicknames -  Pot and Rinky. They lived in East Greta, now Gilleston Heights - a small town on the outskirts of Maitland, NSW. They were all miners. Not sure who the third man is.

Offline ladytodd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 July 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, Nice to hear from you. I am not directly descended from John Williams 1855 but his older brother George Williams born 1850. John was the only member to emigrate to Australia. He married Hannah Searston in 1875. Her family also emigrated to Australia. He was a miner as you know but died in a mining accident in 1917 his son Samuel was badly injured but survived. I have details and marriages for all of his children except John W Williams - only his birth date of 6/4/1890 and a possible marriage in 1912 to Annie Brennan?? So any info you can give me on him would be great. In 1904 John W aged 14 and his Brother Ernest 12 were sent for trial for maliciously damaging a main pipe! I have other other info if you are interested.
The photo is interesting. Just to be clear is it John Williams or John W Williams? I know for sure that I don't have a Clement Arthur Williams. Where does he figure in your family? Ladyt
Barwood Walmer,Kent