Author Topic: The case of Mary BATE  (Read 2953 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The case of Mary BATE
« on: Wednesday 18 July 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Mary Stockton died in Warrington, Lancashire aged 61 on 18th June 1863 wife of Thomas, a wood sawyer

She married Thomas in 1843 at the Parish Church in Runcorn - listed as Mary Bate (widow) father as James Bate (labourer)

In the 1851 census she is listed as born in Sunderland but in 1861 listed as born in Warrington, Lancashire

I have just possibly found her as Mary Fidler aged 39 in 1841 census of Warrington, Lancashire - her birth listed as not in the county of Lancashire - which confirms the possible marriage I found of her in Lymm, Cheshire to John Fiddler in 1826

is anyone researching the BATE clan of Sunderland and can they pin point her baptism?

thank you

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The case of Mary BATE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
It might be a coincidence, but in the 1861 Census an Elizabeth Bate, widow aged 70, born in Warrington, is living next door to Thomas and Mary Stockton.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
also

Sarah STOCKTON (nee BATE) 1848 - 1910
(daughter of David BATE)

married 1869, Warrington

Richard STOCKTON 1847 - 1906
(son of Thomas & Mary STOCKTON prev Fidler nee Bate)

it gets very confusing with so many BATE and STOCKTON families

lol

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
odd fathers name is James Bate if Mary Bate was her widowed name - or was she using her maiden name?
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
I'm suspecting it was in error that she had her maiden name used as her married surname on the certificate

since found a BATE daughter of Mary, baptised in Warrington, before Mary's marriage - the 1841 entry confirms the Bate daughter's first name and the family's surname of Fidler

phew!

;D

Offline kimberlynn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 12 08:16 BST (UK) »
probably of no consequence but thought i would add anyway, i have a martha bate born around 1838 warrrington who wed our ancestor john sefton and emigrated with her husband and mother sarah to u s a - could be some relative?
sephton/sefton, dutton, cooper, reynolds, hulme, mclean, lewell, austin, gerrard, brown.

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE

It was brought to my attention the area as follows (not Sunderland as first thought)

Dunham Massey was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866.
It includes the hamlets of Dunham Town, Dunham Woodhouses, Oldfield Brow (until 1920) and Sinderland Green (Cheshire).