Author Topic: Ruck family of Orcop  (Read 6828 times)

guest189040

Ruck family of Orcop
« on: Wednesday 18 July 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was Laura Ruck, Daughter of Amos Ruck who was the son of Edward Ruck

Amos and his family left Orcop in the 1880's and moved to Monmouth where Laura met and married William Evans

I am trying to contact anyone who is also researching the Rucks

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ruck family of Orcop
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, my wife's great grandfather is James Ruck. He was born in Orcop in 1844. James father is Edward Ruck born Orcop 1818 so I guess Amos is James brother although I haven't gone sideways on that section of the tree but it does sound very likely.

Edwards father was Richard Ruck born in kilpeck 1789 and his father was also a Richard, born Orcop 1746. AND his father was William Ruck 1718 Kilpeck.

James Ruck was married twice and had 3 children with his first wife who was also from Kilpeck. Dont know what happened to her but he then relocated to an area just east of Abergavenny and had 12 children with his second wife Laura Williams. Their daughter Elsie May was the mother of my wifes mum.

Some of the above info we have found out ourself whilst some has been taken from another member of the Ruck family (with permission) via the ancestry.co.uk web site which we both use.

I hope that's a good start for you, feel free to ask again if you need any more info.

Mike
My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Jenkins - Herefordshire South/ Ross On Wye.
Norman -Herefordshire.
Hall - Llanelly (Abergavenny).

My wife's line
George - Herefordshire & Denbighshire
Howells - Pandy (Abergavenny)
Ruck - Llangattock lingoed & Llantillio Crossenny (Abergavenny East)
Williams - Orcop Herefordshire
Meadmore - Orcop Herefordshire.

And of course  anyone marrying into the above,

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Mike

Many thanks for the reply, its great to find family members even if many times removed.

Finding that we had descendents from Hereford and that they were called Ruck was a complete revalation.  We knew very little of my fathers side of the family other than my Grandfather met Grandmother whilst he was stationed near Monmouth in WW1, the remaining paternal line is all in north Lancashire going back to 1584, that was pretty easy to find as they were all from a very small village 5 miles south of Lancaster.

Of the Ruck's I have George, Emma, James, Edwin, Mary Ann, Amos and Sarah A from the 1838 - 1855 era and I had found that James married Laura Williams but had not found that he was married three times and had so many children.  Amos married an Elizabeth Lucy Williams and wondered if the Laura Williams that James married were related, do you know? 

We did find that we intermarried with the Hardman family during the same generation with a Jane Hardman becoming Jane Lamb and a Jane Lamb becoming a Jane Hardman, I bet that caused much amusement at family get togethers.

I have found that Amos and Elizabeth Lucy had Laura, Edward J, Emma A, Hannah M, Jessie, Lucy and Milbern and I have found who each of them married and their childrens names of each couple up to the 1911 census but I had not started to look further amongst all Amos's siblings

Going back I found the same lineage as you and the maiden names of each wife except Amelia who married the Richard who was born in 1789

I have 15 of the 16 Great Great Great Grandparents and I am slowly filling in the tree for each of them, so I am generally not going to far back, more working sideways finding out about various siblings etc.

Anyway I have rambled on enough for now, do keep in touch.

Colin

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

you mentioned "George, Emma, James, Edwin, Mary Ann, Amos and Sarah A from the 1838 - 1855 era" are they all children of Edward & Jemima?

What info do you have on Elizabeth Lucy Williams that you could give me so I can try & tie her to Laura Williams.

Mike

My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Norman -Herefordshire.

My wife's line

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
Mike

Yes they are the Children of Amos and Jemima (nee Jones)

On the Williams I have Lucy Elizabeth Williams her birth was in 1854
her parents were Edward b1826 and Hannah (Nee Meadmore, mother Lucy) b1832
Lucy Elizabeth had a sister Laura b1858
Edwards parents William and either Sarah or Elizabeth
William's parents are less clear as there were two baptisms for a William Williams
Richard and Mary or Thomas and Eleanor

I just wondered if you had the same parentage on your Laura Williams as they are probably one in the same

Also do you have a maiden name of Amelia who married Richard Ruck?

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Your Elizabeth Lucy & my wife's Laura are sisters.

Edwards mother is Sarah.

I haven't researched William Williams parentage yet but will do when time allows.

I just had a quick look at Amelia in my tree and it says that she married Richard in Kilpeck in 1812. I did another search to look for her surname & I found info which contradicts my details. I'm not sure where I got Amelia from but it might be an error as I cant find a record of an Amelia marrying Richard Ruck. What I have found is records of a Richard Ruck marrying a Mildred Powell in Kilpeck 1812 and a Harriet Pritchard in Llanwarne in 1818 so its probably the former but will search deeper and rerport back.

Mike

My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Norman -Herefordshire.

My wife's line

Offline Dave Ruck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi does anybody have information on Enoch Ruck 1841-1914 husband of Charlotte and father of Sydney Robert. I think that Enoch is of a different ‘strand’ of the family to me as I have a line through Amos, but I would still like more details about him and his family and how it all fits. I was in Monmouth yesterday and found his / charlottes grave which I tidied up a little.

guest189040

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Dave
Amos was my 2x Great Grandfather and I have his parents as Edward 1818-1902 and Jemima Jones 1816 - 1895.

Alas I do not have any siblings identified of Edward and one of these siblings may well have been the father of Enoch.

I have looked at some other trees on Ancestry and they have Edward as only having Sisters.

So this makes me think that a further generation back may lead to Enoch.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

BTW
Which of Amos’s Sons are you related to?

Offline Dave Ruck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin, I am related to Amos’s son Edward. Thanks to your post I have a little bit more info on Amos’s parents. Dave